Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

They owe me money

(50 Posts)
sandye Tue 23-Jan-24 11:32:30

I booked a holiday in my niece's caravan and paid a reduced rate as family. Later she decided to sell the van and it was bought by someone she didn't know. All the booking were agreed to be honoured. confirming the booking with them they said it was going to be more money, no problem as I booked it family rate. At this point my sister who we were visiting moved, so I booked a hotel and gave the van to my daughter hubby and family and was looking forward to a family holiday. However I became anxious when they would not give me the codes. The children were so exiting to be going on holiday. However two days before she said sorry can't have it as there is a gas leak then proceeded to block me. I went to the small claims, won and she just ignored the ruling. Went to the next stage and won again, ignored the judgment again. Now we are at court again by video next month to freeze her bank account but she has been informed she must appear and I have been informed as part of the proceeds that she has emptied her bank account. So even if I win again she will not pay. Solicitor will not take the case as it isn't enough money. So I will have to pay the bailiffs next time. Has anyone been in this position? I had to stand and watch my grandchildren as mum told them they could not go so I won't be dropping the case.

Theexwife Tue 23-Jan-24 12:20:35

My sister had the same problem with builders, she spent far more than she was owed trying to get money back from them, although the judgement went against the builders they managed to hide money, accounts and even changed their name and owners of the company.

She spent over four years of constantly talking about it and getting very stressed, to her it became about the principle, sometimes you just have to accept that the money has gone and it is not worth the upset.

welbeck Tue 23-Jan-24 12:24:04

sounds like throwing good money after bad.
better to cut your losses, and end it now.

Hithere Tue 23-Jan-24 12:26:30

What welbeck said

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-Jan-24 12:47:09

You may pay for bailiffs to attend and find there is nothing worth money there. This is why I always say that going to the small claims court can be a very stressful business which gets you nowhere.

sandye Tue 23-Jan-24 13:10:36

She own's a really nice house a car, and of course the caravan that is paying money all year. What would you do if it was your grandchildren breaking their heart>

aggie Tue 23-Jan-24 13:14:28

Looks to me like a no win situation, it will end up costing more and no holiday at the end
I do agree that it is very sneaky and unfair of the owners

Theexwife Tue 23-Jan-24 13:16:40

The money you are spending on this would be better spent on another holiday for them.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-Jan-24 13:25:20

Some people are very adept at moving assets around and of appearing much wealthier than they are. You don’t say how much she has been ordered to pay, but you may well find that the car is leased and you certainly won’t be able to take the house. The caravan is not at the address the bailiffs will be visiting.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-Jan-24 13:26:48

I couldn’t agree more, Theexwife. And the stress of the ongoing saga will have its effect on the grandchildren.

sandye Tue 23-Jan-24 13:41:16

The grandchildren know nothing about it, the oldest is 9. I did pay for another holiday later making me out of pocket twice. It's the absolute arrogance of her that makes me mad. She wont be able to bet HP for another car if it is leased as she now has outstanding CCJs. I just wondered if anyone had won a case like this.

sharon103 Tue 23-Jan-24 13:42:35

I understand your anger but I have to say I agree with Theexwife.

Gwyllt Tue 23-Jan-24 13:49:53

Sandyi
Just because the lady in question is well heeled. It does not mean the caravan is in her name

NotSpaghetti Tue 23-Jan-24 13:51:00

I went down this route years ago over a car but the garage owner was also adept at this stuff and we gave up eventually, £1000s out of pocket.
Everything he owned (even the TV) was in another name.

NotSpaghetti Tue 23-Jan-24 13:51:33

That said. I would love you to win.
flowers

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-Jan-24 14:14:02

In one law firm in which I was a partner almost all the male partners had put their assets into their wives’ names. A very common practice. The few female partners didn’t follow suit. Many business people actually own very little, whilst appearing very well off.

sandye Tue 23-Jan-24 14:45:49

Gwyllt the caravan is defiantly in her name as she bought it off my niece so have seen the bill of sale. That's not to say she still owns it on paper. She isn't a big business NotSpaghetti she lives in a really nice house and her husband I'am told is a professional gambler, maybe karma will be nice to me.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-Jan-24 14:47:48

I wouldn’t be putting my money on karma.

HousePlantQueen Tue 23-Jan-24 15:07:14

As the song 🎵 goes.......^let it go, let it go^...

Put it behind you, spend the proposed legal costs on another holiday, this time with a registered business. Sorry, but this will grind you down

pascal30 Tue 23-Jan-24 15:14:51

Is this really worth your time, energy and distress? I wouldn't persue it any further..

Sago Tue 23-Jan-24 15:56:23

sandye

She own's a really nice house a car, and of course the caravan that is paying money all year. What would you do if it was your grandchildren breaking their heart>

She may not own them, cars are often on a lease and the house could well be mortgaged.
Cut your losses.

Cold Tue 23-Jan-24 15:58:48

You can get Bailiffs to enforce the judgements

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-Jan-24 16:27:11

No good if there are no assets to seize Cold. And do try reading the thread!

Coolgran65 Tue 23-Jan-24 17:09:27

It costs more money each time a Bailiff is involved.
I understand how frustrating this situation is for OP but honestly, the costs run up so quickly that it's just not worth it.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-Jan-24 17:23:30

Indeed. They find nothing to seize at the woman’s house. For a further payment they visit the caravan and find she’s sold it. It really is a hiding to nothing. She may not give a damn that her credit score has dived - she’s got a (probably well off) husband. Her behaviour regarding the OP’s booking tells us something - if she bought the caravan with a view to letting it for profit why was the booking not honoured? Was she simply looking to move some cash on?