Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Last owners wanting back items they left behind.

(84 Posts)
Retired65 Mon 08-Jan-24 17:05:38

We have been in our house for just over six months and were surprized to receive an email from the estate agents we bought through with a copy of an email they had received from the last owners, basically it said, '

"Sorry to be a nuisance but could we ask if you would be kind enough to ask the owners if we left our hose pipe and reel at our old house. We are nearly finished unpacking and can’t find it anywhere."

We don't need it so we have said they can come and get it.
I just wondered how we would stand if we had wanted it or had given it away, how we would stand legally.

tanith Mon 08-Jan-24 17:09:27

I’m not sure about the legal position, when we moved into our house they left ladders and a pool table in the garage and in the bedroom built in wardrobe at least a dozen long evening dresses those were the only thing they asked for as they’d forgotten they were there apparently. They did pickup the dresses but they weren’t my style anyway 😁

RosiesMaw Mon 08-Jan-24 17:27:07

All I can add is to ask where on earth they must live in the UK if they are in need of a hose pipe !

BlueBelle Mon 08-Jan-24 17:32:48

Well they asked nicely so why not
If you d already given it or thrown it away I guess it would have been tough luck nothing they could do legally
(I wouldn’t have thought) as they d abandoned it

Kate54 Mon 08-Jan-24 17:51:49

Pretty sure it would be the sellers’ responsibility to take everything with them.

Septimia Mon 08-Jan-24 17:56:35

I suppose that letting them collect it is down to good will.

When we bought our house the previous owners left a pony on the field! But we had agreed that they could do that until they found it new lodgings.

Visgir1 Mon 08-Jan-24 18:00:07

Loads of things get left behind normally rubbish previous owners don't want.
They were lucky you didn't take it up to the tip.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 08-Jan-24 18:09:39

If the seller leaves things behind technically haven’t given vacant possession, which is a breach of contract - but only worth getting heavy if there’s a lot of rubbish that you have to pay to get rid of. If there are items the seller might have overlooked give them (direct if you have contact details, otherwise via the estate agent) a reasonable time to collect them and say if they don’t you will dispose of them.

Louella12 Mon 08-Jan-24 18:13:04

We had a 12 foot blow up snowman that you plugged in and glitter flew everywhere. It was for some big event.

They didn't want him back because we did ask and he puts in an appearance each Christmas.

RosiesMaw Mon 08-Jan-24 18:47:54

Friends who sold a lovely old 18th C listed house several years ago left (deliberately) a stash of “old” roof tiles in an outhouse in case future owners needed to do repairs so that they would match the existing clay tiles.
The new owners rang them and asked them to be removed.
So they went to the tip.
Part of the roof had to be replaced some years later and they had no end of trouble sourcing “old” tiles and ended up removing them from the back roof to put on the front, using modern tiles for the back where they didn’t show.
The same (new) owners also ripped out a beautiful blue Aga and sold it for scrap and replaced lovely wide oak floorboards with modern pine and chipboard.
Each to their own.

pascal30 Mon 08-Jan-24 18:48:44

It is the sellers responsibility to take everything but as they asked so nicely why on earth wouldn't you return it.. you could have refused but happily you didn't..

Juliet27 Mon 08-Jan-24 19:01:41

Until I was 11 my family owned and lived over a bookshop. In my 30s I revisited the village and called into the shop telling them that I used to live there. The owner asked my name then said he had something that belonged to my family. It was a box that had been forgotten in a cupboard when we moved and contained the letters that my dad wrote to mum when he was in Egypt during the war. I’m so glad they weren’t thrown out.

Sago Mon 08-Jan-24 19:28:10

Having moved many times, we have had lots of things left behind; 150 jam jars without lids, a cat called mog, one couple turned up 3 months after we had moved in and started digging up rose bushes, a vice and best of all an agreement with a neighbour that we would take phone calls for them!

Esmay Mon 08-Jan-24 19:50:56

I think that as a gesture of good will -tell them that you are happy if they collect it and suggest a time suitable to you .

Primrose53 Mon 08-Jan-24 19:57:16

RosiesMaw

All I can add is to ask where on earth they must live in the UK if they are in need of a hose pipe !

Funny you should say that. About 20 years ago on New Years Day my husband let our dogs in the garden. The man in the house behind came out of his shed with a hosepipe and put it in his car.

My husband called Morning to him and he replied and put his hand up. We didn’t think anymore about it but a few days later we heard he was missing and after a few more days he was found dead in his car several miles away having gassed himself.

RosiesMaw Mon 08-Jan-24 20:07:11

Primrose53

RosiesMaw

Funny you should say that. About 20 years ago on New Years Day my husband let our dogs in the garden. The man in the house behind came out of his shed with a hosepipe and put it in his car.

My husband called Morning to him and he replied and put his hand up. We didn’t think anymore about it but a few days later we heard he was missing and after a few more days he was found dead in his car several miles away having gassed himself.

OMG 😟😟😟

Katie59 Mon 08-Jan-24 20:16:02

It depends, if they had left a load of rubbish to be disposed of then hard luck. If it was a smooth purchase and the place was tidy then no problem

SueDonim Mon 08-Jan-24 20:20:54

If I didn’t want the item requested, I’d happily hand it over.

RosiesMaw said ^ The same (new) owners also ripped out a beautiful blue Aga and sold it for scrap and replaced lovely wide oak floorboards with modern pine and chipboard.^

My Dh was lucky enough to be able to visit the old house his grandparents had lived in from between the wars. Much to his astonishment, the old green Aga was still in the kitchen! It must now be one of the oldest in the UK, as they weren’t sold here until the 1920’s.

flappergirl Mon 08-Jan-24 20:54:35

My understanding is that any items left behind becomes the property of the new owners. Therefore there would be no legal repercussions should you sell or dispose of them,

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 08-Jan-24 21:42:35

Where did you get that understanding?

LovesBach Mon 08-Jan-24 22:20:50

We bought a house from an elderly lady; she moved about five hundred miles away. On day shortly after a man knocked, looking most apologetic, said his aunt had sent him, and would we let him have the 'yellow rug' from the kitchen that she had forgotten to take? This was mysterious, until we suddenly realised that she meant a small, plastic doormat, about eighteen inches by twelve, that must have cost about £1.50 in those days. He was apoplectic; the petrol must have cost him about ten times the price of buying a replacement mat.

M0nica Mon 08-Jan-24 23:03:47

RosiesMaw Did they get Listed Building Consent to rip up the oak flooring, because if they didn't, and I cannot see they would they aregoing to have lots of fun and games when they sell the house.

We live in a listed house and preparatory to selling we are carefully gathering all the documents that show we had consent for everything we have done

Katie59 Tue 09-Jan-24 07:35:33

M0nica

RosiesMaw Did they get Listed Building Consent to rip up the oak flooring, because if they didn't, and I cannot see they would they aregoing to have lots of fun and games when they sell the house.

We live in a listed house and preparatory to selling we are carefully gathering all the documents that show we had consent for everything we have done

There are a LOT of changes done to listed buildings done without permission, if they are internal may go for decades before being revealed, by then nothing can be done.

Galaxy Tue 09-Jan-24 07:49:36

When we moved in to my current house we found that the owners appeared to have forgotten they were moving. Clothes and belongings all over the place, plus an empty bottle of wine, my guess is they though

Galaxy Tue 09-Jan-24 07:51:43

Sorry! My guess is they thought I know we have work to do but let's get drunk instead. The house was also filthy. We rang them and said their belongings were on the lawn and if they didnt pick them up they would go to the tip. Sorry GSM I am sure this wasnt within legal advicegrin