Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

No Spend January

(139 Posts)
Mel1967 Fri 05-Jan-24 18:35:38

Hello,

My challenge for January is to spend no money at all.

I’m aiming to use up all my leftovers and freezer contents to make interesting meals.

Also have a good store cupboard for tinned food, cleaning stuff etc.

Has anyone else tried this??

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Jan-24 18:47:24

No heating?
How will you cook?

Kim19 Fri 05-Jan-24 18:49:56

Impossible, unfortunately, but I like your thinking.

Mel1967 Fri 05-Jan-24 18:51:43

Mel1967

Hello,

I’m aiming to use up all my leftovers and freezer contents to make interesting meals.

Sorry I should have said apart from utility bills and petrol - otherwise I can’t work.

Apologies

Galaxy Fri 05-Jan-24 18:52:27

No. Why would you do that?

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Jan-24 18:54:26

Mel1967

Mel1967

Hello,

Sorry I should have said apart from utility bills and petrol - otherwise I can’t work.

Apologies

🙂

I do try to do this with food but there's always fresh stuff like milk, eggs etc.

Mel1967 Fri 05-Jan-24 18:58:19

Galaxy

No. Why would you do that?

Why not?

PestyOne Fri 05-Jan-24 19:00:35

I couldn't go a week without buying milk, fruit & fresh veg!

M0nica Fri 05-Jan-24 19:10:36

Then at the end of January with your store cupboard denuded and your freezer empty you have to go out and a do a massive supermarket shop tostock up again so that you have the flexibility and stores needed to eat economically and healthily.

What about transport costs? Will fill of petrol on 31 Decmeber see you through the monthe or have you paid forward on a season ticket for public transport?

lixy Fri 05-Jan-24 19:11:16

It's a good challenge though I'd need to buy fresh fruit as well as milk. Maybe set a minimum amount?
It just turns 'using up and clearing out' into a bit of fun.
Good luck!

Mel1967 Fri 05-Jan-24 19:14:59

M0nica

Then at the end of January with your store cupboard denuded and your freezer empty you have to go out and a do a massive supermarket shop tostock up again so that you have the flexibility and stores needed to eat economically and healthily.

What about transport costs? Will fill of petrol on 31 Decmeber see you through the monthe or have you paid forward on a season ticket for public transport?

I have to use my car for work.

I fill up once a month - so will be ok.

2 weeks out of the month I work from home, so won’t need the car.

rafichagran Fri 05-Jan-24 19:16:00

I am just topping up, but to be fair I did not overspend on food, I was given a tin of chocolates by a young lad in a charity shop I go too. I offered to give him the money but he said it was a gift and he wanted me to have it.
I only bought a couple of packets of puff pastry mince pies at Marks individual Christmas pudding as no one else likes it.
Turkey was £14.00 and made 7 meals.
I have been frugal this year with food as I hate waste. I will spend what I do every month and have no Christmas debt. I don't believe you will not spend anything in January on food, as you will need milk and bread.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 05-Jan-24 19:28:48

Total nonsense. Fresh fruit and veg, eggs, milk? And I’m assuming you don’t have a pet or feed the birds.

Marydoll Fri 05-Jan-24 19:34:11

Unfortunately, a bit late for me!

Casdon Fri 05-Jan-24 19:37:50

Ignore the naysayers Mel1967 and see how long you can go without spending anything, there’s certainly no harm in trying. Let us know how you get on, and what it is that makes you break your resolution.
I keep milk, bread and frozen fruit in the freezer in case we get snowed in, so none of those things would be my nemesis - it would probably be dog food, because I could manage without most things, but the dog can’t.

Grandmabatty Fri 05-Jan-24 19:39:20

I think it's a good idea to reduce spending on unnecessary stuff. Good for you!

Norah Fri 05-Jan-24 19:44:46

Grandmabatty

I think it's a good idea to reduce spending on unnecessary stuff. Good for you!

We tend towards spending as little as possible, January seems an excellent time to give it a go. Good Luck.

We eat lots of fresh veg and fruit. For us that can't be avoided, but silly stupid spending can always be cut to the bone. Well done you!

AGAA4 Fri 05-Jan-24 19:56:31

January is a good time to cut down on spending and using up some of what you have stored is a good idea.
I hope it goes well for you.

Mel1967 Fri 05-Jan-24 20:01:59

Germanshepherdsmum

Total nonsense. Fresh fruit and veg, eggs, milk? And I’m assuming you don’t have a pet or feed the birds.

Why nonsense?
Yes I do have a dog, but won’t need food for her until next month.
I don’t feed the birds.
I have long life milk and don’t use eggs and use frozen veg and fruit which are already in the freezer

Galaxy Fri 05-Jan-24 20:03:38

Today I bought cinema tickets and paid fof parking. Good for the local economy and for me. Well the parking was a means to an end but ither than that it was lovely.

Millie22 Fri 05-Jan-24 20:04:26

I always have an economy month in January as there is a lot of pre Christmas spending. It's basically any extras apart from food obviously and household costs.

Every year I try and make it last until the 31st. Not always successfully.

mumofmadboys Fri 05-Jan-24 20:05:37

We also are trying to buy as little food as possible and use up the contents of our two freezers. I will then defrost the smaller one and clean it out.

readsalot Fri 05-Jan-24 20:10:23

I do this each January. Use up all the Christmas food and also cupboard, fridge and freezer. I save my nectar points through the year and spend them for anything I need to buy. Good mental exercise and stuff doesn’t go out of date. Makes me feel virtuous too!

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Jan-24 20:16:18

lixy

It's a good challenge though I'd need to buy fresh fruit as well as milk. Maybe set a minimum amount?
It just turns 'using up and clearing out' into a bit of fun.
Good luck!

We have so much home-grown frozen fruit that it could last us for months!
And enough veg for Januart, apart from potatoes.

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Jan-24 20:16:40

Januart?? 🤔