Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

The Last Bank In Bakewell To Close Soon.....

(45 Posts)
mae13 Mon 01-Jan-24 05:41:03

NatWest - who have systematically butchered the high street banking system for years - are, according to The Observer, to soon shut the very last bank in Bakewell.
They breezily advise anyone who baulks at the prospect of travelling to either Matlock or Chesterfield to access an actual physical bank to "go online" and "download the App."
I am heartily sick and tired of these monolithic institutions telling me to "download the App".
Human contact is definitely being forced into redundancy......

BlueBelle Mon 01-Jan-24 07:28:18

Not sure how NatWest has butchered your high street ? we have a NatWest in ours small high Street plus a Midland, Nationwide, Barclays, Halifax and Lloyds there doesn’t see any butchering going on We don’t have too many shops though any more and that’s the saddest part
One of our largest shops is now going to be a slot machine arcade Now that is BUTCHERING the town
I ve done online banking for donkeys years it’s just so much easier than going into town and queuing I can do it in the evening or on a Sunday I m not a youngster I m in my late 70 s so it’s not an age thing
There are so many other ways of getting human contact

NanKate Mon 01-Jan-24 07:35:32

We have NO banks in our very busy small town in South Bucks. Fortunately we have a Nationwide, which hopefully will see me out ! I like to be able to access cash, speak to a teller and be able to ask advice, instead of phoning and having to work out if I press 1, 2, 3, etc.

TerriBull Mon 01-Jan-24 07:52:31

Sorry to hear that OP, we still have several banks left in our town, but for how long that is the question? I've been doing on line banking for a while having originally resisted it, have to say it does make life a lot easier.

You have a lovely town by the way and I did have the best ever slice of Bakewell tart there, but to be expected no doubt.

Melanie61 Mon 01-Jan-24 08:20:03

Do you know you can use your Post Office for almost all British banks. Pay cash and cheques in and draw cash out all free of charge. Although I know post offices can be rare too.

Joseann Mon 01-Jan-24 08:23:53

All our banks gone, we are getting a banking hub.
I'll be interested to serve how it works and whether it is an effective alternative.

Joseann Mon 01-Jan-24 08:26:32

Am I to assume that Bakewell tarts come from Bakewell?

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 01-Jan-24 08:55:32

Spare a thought for small businesses. Our town has only a branch of Nationwide, which is, of course, not a bank. Business users have to do their banking in the next town. My hairdresser parks near this High Street ( it's pedestrianised) and walks to her bank carrying large amounts of cash every week, which feels unsafe to her. She banked daily when the branch was nearby but it's too time consuming now. I'm OK with Nationwide but I think the banks that no longer pay counter staff or upkeep buildings might just be saving lots of money...is it being passed on, or??

Calendargirl Mon 01-Jan-24 09:20:21

When our local bank closed, they started using the local library three days a week, manned by a bank officer.

Can’t deal with any cash, you have to go to the PO for that, but good for queries and everyday bits and bobs.

I bank online, but am sure many people find this new service useful.

Don’t think it will be a long term solution, just a sticking plaster waiting to be ripped off though.

henetha Mon 01-Jan-24 10:07:29

I was gutted when my nearest bank closed down. But I'm now realising what a helpful place my local post office is.
And I have downloaded the app. It works extremely well.

TerriBull Mon 01-Jan-24 10:09:27

Yes easy for the individual to bank on line, but the small businesses dealing in cash, definitely a major inconvenience and dare I say it without one bank in any town, an insidious move towards a cashless society that has increased massively since lockdown hmm

henetha Mon 01-Jan-24 10:27:56

I have wondered what small businesses do with their cash now that night safes seem to be going/gone, Terribull
And daytime services too. It must be difficult.

Greyduster Mon 01-Jan-24 10:30:05

We bank with Barclays and all our out of town centre branches have now closed, as has the branch in Chesterfield so we are scuppered. We are one of the largest cities in England and Barclays can now only maintain one branch which is mostly automated. If you want to actually speak to anyone you have to get on your knees! I bank online but there are occasions when this won’t do the job.

mae13 Mon 01-Jan-24 11:26:53

True, the Post Office is a substitute of sorts - but for how long? Sub Post Offices have also been dwindling for years.

Cabbie21 Mon 01-Jan-24 11:27:10

My small market town once had four banks. Now there are none. Then the Post Office closed. It has now reopened but there are always long queues.
I understand that a mobile bank comes once a week but it is not always reliable.
I would be pleased if there was a rule that a market town cannot be left without a bank. People use cash on market stalls.
I do my banking online, but it is a 20 minute bus ride to the nearest bank, so not too bad, but not helpful for many people.

Calendargirl Mon 01-Jan-24 12:27:05

It used to be just the little banking outlets that closed, that no longer applies.

Some quite large branches shut, often ahead of smaller outlets.

No rhyme or reason in the thinking it seems.

MiniMoon Mon 01-Jan-24 12:36:25

In our little town the last bank closed last summer. A "banking hub" was opened in the library, but to do physical cash transactions we have to travel to the nearest large town. Fortunately we have a building society which is open 3 days a week. They have had a large increase in customers.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Jan-24 14:22:41

They closed all the banks close to us but provided a mobile bank. That was then discontinued because they said it wasn’t being used which was a lie because it was very popular.

Grandmadinosaur Mon 01-Jan-24 15:40:33

Our small town had 4 banks when we moved here 37 years ago. Now down to 1 which is due to close later this year to be replaced by a banking hub. We can use the post office but it’s not as convenient for me to get to,

JaneJudge Mon 01-Jan-24 15:41:33

Joseann

Am I to assume that Bakewell tarts come from Bakewell?

Yes and bakewell pudding. It’s a lovely place if you’ve not visited that park of the world. Matlock, Ashbourne and Buxton also worth a gander.

OP, I reluctantly switched to online banking as I work more hours than the bank is open. It had been much easier to keep track

JaneJudge Mon 01-Jan-24 15:42:00

Fat fingers. It HAS been easier to keep track

flappergirl Mon 01-Jan-24 20:03:40

BlueBelle

Not sure how NatWest has butchered your high street ? we have a NatWest in ours small high Street plus a Midland, Nationwide, Barclays, Halifax and Lloyds there doesn’t see any butchering going on We don’t have too many shops though any more and that’s the saddest part
One of our largest shops is now going to be a slot machine arcade Now that is BUTCHERING the town
I ve done online banking for donkeys years it’s just so much easier than going into town and queuing I can do it in the evening or on a Sunday I m not a youngster I m in my late 70 s so it’s not an age thing
There are so many other ways of getting human contact

Good for you. Where on earth do you live to have 5 banks in a small high street?

NotAGran55 Mon 01-Jan-24 20:34:01

I just checked our closest market town in Berkshire and it has seven High Street banks, one private bank and two building societies. I must say I’m surprised 😮

We have a business ourselves and bank our cash and occasional cheques in our village post office which is open 7.30 - 1900 Monday to Friday and slightly shorter hours at the weekend. It’s a great facility and on our route home.

It is literally years since I went into a branch of a bank for personal banking as I have done online banking since the ark was built, and now use their app which I love.

Joseann Mon 01-Jan-24 20:55:44

Thanks, JaneJudge, I don't know the area but it sounds interesting.

JaneJudge Mon 01-Jan-24 21:45:57

Joseann

Thanks, JaneJudge, I don't know the area but it sounds interesting.

Yes 🙌 it is very beautiful ❤️