Gransnet forums

Gardening

What are you growing that you didn't plant?

(44 Posts)
shysal Mon 08-Apr-24 16:39:07

Following on from Squiffy's thread about her rogue plant, what do you have in your garden that just appeared?
I have carpets of Primroses which flower all year long as well as Forget-me-nots, Stinking Hellebores and Aquilegias. However, I have never been able to get Poppies, Hollyhocks or Digitalis to self seed. sad

Happygirl79 Mon 08-Apr-24 16:42:50

Weeds!

Nell8 Mon 08-Apr-24 16:52:06

I was delighted when lily of the valley came under the fence from next door. Sadly it became a thug and spread so much I had to dig it out.

I regularly find tiny oak trees, courtesy of the jays which bury acorns for later. I even found one in a hanging basket.

Callistemon21 Mon 08-Apr-24 16:56:02

Cyclamen seem to have spread into cracks in paving stones and in gravel. I did plant some in pots but they seem to be everywhere, very pretty.

Trees (thanks, Sammy Squirrel)

I found two fat balls buried in garden pots, presumably said squirrel brought them from another garden and stored them for later.

JamesandJon33 Mon 08-Apr-24 17:01:56

Angelica. Pops up everywhere. It is big and impressive like a cardoon, but sheds seeds indiscriminately.

lixy Mon 08-Apr-24 17:01:56

Callistemon21

Cyclamen seem to have spread into cracks in paving stones and in gravel. I did plant some in pots but they seem to be everywhere, very pretty.

I found two fat balls buried in garden pots, presumably said squirrel brought them from another garden and stored them for later.

Ohh, a fat ball tree - now there's a good idea!

I have trees too - sycamores mostly from the seeds that fly in every Autumn. 'Fraid I weed them out.

A kind squirrel/magpie has given me a holly bush that is doing very well.

shysal Mon 08-Apr-24 17:04:37

I forgot about all the ash seedlings and brambles! They usually grow up through the shrubs making it impossible to completely remove them.

RosesandLilac Mon 08-Apr-24 17:10:40

Apart from the weeds? Mainly primroses that have self seeded all across the lawn (I definitely don’t mind them) and meadowsweet that pops up in the pots and cracks in the paving.
And Lords and Ladies that I definitely never planted!

BlueBelle Mon 08-Apr-24 17:14:31

Wild violets everywhere,
Lily of the valley everywhere
Bluebells everywhere
Forget me nots all over the place
cowslips too they are all welcome and stay wherever they come up but the cowslips wander around and rarely come up the same place
I love all the extras even if they do come up all over

Lovemylife Mon 08-Apr-24 17:15:51

A beautiful Amelanchier has appeared in the garden. Amongst the holly and ivy which try to take over.

ginny Mon 08-Apr-24 17:50:09

A holly bush and primroses.

Bonnybanko Mon 08-Apr-24 17:58:02

Weeds after today will hopefully have gone

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 08-Apr-24 18:28:38

I have lots of self-seeded violets, cowslips, primroses, bluebells, foxgloves, hardy geraniums, hollyhocks, honesty, euphorbia, forget me nots, snapdragons and valerian. The cyclamen are spreading wonderfully but haven’t appeared anywhere else yet. I love to see plants seeding where they are happy.

Tizliz Mon 08-Apr-24 18:41:03

sunflowers - they came up when I re-potted some house plants. The sack of peat is near the store of bird food so either a robin (they are always in the garage) or a casual OH.

MadeInYorkshire Mon 08-Apr-24 18:45:30

Lots of weeds, but they are only plants you don't want in that particular place. Loads of Forget-me-nots, and after many years of desperately trying to keep Aubretia for more than a year, I bought a 6 pack from Tesco last year, and for the first time ever, (after being very jealous of the large purple mounds toppling over wall edges!) I have it spilling over my walls! It has self set also into the drive, so I've pulled it up and relocated it into another raised bed.

There's also something growing that has huge sort of 'furry' leaves. I think it may be Verbascum, which is nice but I've always been plagued by caterpillars that just strip the lot, so am hoping it may be a Foxglove? Last year I discovered a Clematis that had got buried behind holly and viburnum, once I gave it light it romped away with lovely dark red flowers. It's all too much for me though other than the raised beds (of which I do have several) which look pretty and I can do without bending, but the remaining maybe 100ft is very difficult.

fancythat Mon 08-Apr-24 18:50:47

Bamboo.
Lovely at first.
Now awful.

AskAlice Mon 08-Apr-24 18:56:25

Sunflower seedlings in the half-barrel containing my bay tree. They are definitely from the sunflowers I grew behind it last year. I'll grow them on and plant out when they are a decent size.

Verbena bonariensis, it self-seeds shamelessly and I keep the ones that are in the right place (at the back of the border) and weed the others out.

Thousands, literally thousands of sycamore seedlings from the woods at the bottom of my garden. Along a 12 foot span of fencing there are seven of them, all tall and spindly (about 45 feet tall) and horrible. The seedlings come up in the lawn, borders, gutters, patio and gravel. I hate sycamores with a passion - definitely the "weeds of the woods."

Churchview Mon 08-Apr-24 21:51:12

Hens eggs buried in flower pots and the soil under hedges. We don't have hens so I wonder if it's a fox stealing them from somewhere and storing them for later.

MissAdventure Mon 08-Apr-24 21:56:44

Foxes used to do that in my mums garden.
She once found a used nappy, a container of chinese curry, and some eggs that they'd buried.

Grammaretto Mon 08-Apr-24 22:14:00

How interesting MissAdventure.
I have zillions of volunteers in my garden.
Mullein, borage, spinach and aquilegia come up in the veg bed.
Daffodils thrive on the compost heap
Hollyhocks come up everyyear.
Valerian gets in any crack it finds and has deep roots.
Baby trees, sycamore and willow, birch and occasionally holly.
I don’t have jays but I have seen how they plant oaks nell

Callistemon21 Mon 08-Apr-24 22:27:42

lixy

Callistemon21

I have trees too - sycamores mostly from the seeds that fly in every Autumn. 'Fraid I weed them out.

A kind squirrel/magpie has given me a holly bush that is doing very well.

I should have planted them in the lawn by the bird feeders 😁

Oregano - seeds and grows everywhere!

We've got a couple of holly trees too, luckily in the hedge.

MiniMoon Tue 09-Apr-24 00:26:18

Last Summer we were delighted to discover wild orchids in a pot in the garden. I'm waiting to see if they are still there this year.
We have wild strawberries. The birds and grandchildren love them, the birds probably brought them and they are spreading all around the place.

Greyduster Tue 09-Apr-24 04:26:03

Foxgloves; the little orange yellow Welsh poppies come up everywhere; wild strawberries; hollyhocks, which I would encourage if they weren’t so prone to rust.

Curtaintwitcher Tue 09-Apr-24 07:13:31

Trees. I don't know if it was the wind or birds dropping seeds, but I have two oak trees and three sycamores which just appeared. I'm nurturing them with a view to planting them in large pots.

Abitbarmy Tue 09-Apr-24 07:55:39

Stinking Iris.