Gransnet forums

Food

Do you do all you can to recycle ?

(31 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 16-Apr-24 21:37:19

We really try our best now . All food waste goes in the council compost bin . We save all glass , cardboard , tins , plastics that we can and recently stared collecting the plastic that you cannot put in the council bin but have to take to the supermarket. It soon mounts up . We are having changes made by our council and will have to take all glass to a central point in the future which is OK if you have a car but not so easy if you do not . Thank goodness the SNP have scrapped their idea of taking bottles to your supermarket to get a refund on them . Our local Lidl built an extension to cope with this and now it is not going to happen .

RosiesMaw Tue 16-Apr-24 21:45:12

I do. Our system in MK is easy to follow, free and effective.
Black bins (general waste) collected weekly
Red lidded bibs - paper and cardboard - every other week
Blue lidded bins - plastic, metal, glass - alternate weeks alternating with the red top bins
Green bins - garden waste, food waste - every week
Plus a handy reminder to stick on the fridge.

RosiesMaw Tue 16-Apr-24 21:46:00

Bins - not bibs!

BlueBelle Tue 16-Apr-24 21:49:41

We only have three bins one of which we have to pay for
So we have
Black bin general waste emptied weekly
Blue bin paper cardboard tins and none glass bottles etc emptied fortnightly
Green bin garden waste emptied fortnightly and charge about £52 a year
I also keep all peelings and uncooked food for compost
Buy mainly from charity shops and give to charity shops
Don’t own a car walk cycle or bus
I m pretty green

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 16-Apr-24 21:49:44

We have a black wheelie bin for general rubbish, a large green wheelie bin in which everything for recycling goes ( only single use plastic doesn’t go in here, everything else goes in) and we rent brown bins for garden rubbish, untreated wood can also go in here.
All are collected fortnightly except the food waste bin which is collect weekly.
Our local boots is now taking the plastic that pills are wrapped in.

crazyH Tue 16-Apr-24 21:51:03

Yes - we have 5 different containers, solid plastic box for glass, bag for plastic and cans, bag for cardboard, bag for paper, a large plastic bin bag for miscellaneous household waste, and a food waste bin - I have just sorted them all. I keep all the containers in the garage.

Mamardoit Tue 16-Apr-24 21:51:39

I remember getting 3d for returning pop bottles. I thought that worked well and I'm surprised it can't be brought back.

Yes we try really hard to recycle. All veg waste is composted. We take old light bulbs and batteries, and anything we not collected by the council to the tip.

SueDonim Tue 16-Apr-24 21:53:06

Yes, we do and have done so for many years. The council collect everything except glass which we take to the recycling centre or supermarket ourselves.

Floradora there is a home glass collection service in some areas of Scotland. It’s worth checking them out. We used them until we moved a couple of years ago and I think it was £4 a month. doorstepglassrecycling.co.uk/

crazyH Tue 16-Apr-24 21:53:31

The large plastic bag is blue see-through, so we can’t sneak in anything that shouldn’t go in there 😫

SueDonim Tue 16-Apr-24 21:55:06

Ah, it’s £6pm now but still a useful service.

rafichagran Tue 16-Apr-24 21:59:20

Yes I recycle, we have four different containers and U ensure they are all used correctly.

Elrel Tue 16-Apr-24 22:09:45

My ‘bankrupt’ city has never organised collection of food waste and charges annually for fortnightly green garden waste collection. We have 2 free wheelie bin collections, household waste weekly and recycling fortnightly. The latter is paper, cardboard, glass, metal, and some plastic.The nearest tip for accepting other refuse is about to close. My quiet cul de sac frequently has fly tipping, those who report this to the council to get it removed have been told that by doing so we are encouraging the tippers.

Casdon Tue 16-Apr-24 22:25:43

Yes, I’m vigilant about recycling. We have weekly collection of paper and cardboard, plastics, metals, glass and food waste, fortnightly collection of garden waste (paid for), and three weekly collection of household non recyclables - the bin is always half empty. Our local recycling point is also excellent, so I save batteries, light bulbs, hard plastic larger items, wood, shoes, bedding, paint cans etc. and put that in the appropriate bin there when I go - they separate almost everything there. I enjoy doing it, I hate it when I get things packaged in polystyrene.

Rosie51 Tue 16-Apr-24 22:30:57

We have 3 small (140 litre) wheelie bins by choice, but most people have the larger 240 litre bins. Black top bin, landfill rubbish is collected fortnightly to encourage more recycling. Blue top bin for paper, card, glass, cans, certain plastics collected weekly. Green top bin for all food (cooked and uncooked, including meat and bones) and garden waste collected weekly. We've always been good at recycling, and our black bin normally contains less than two carrier bags full of rubbish each fortnight. Soft plastic get taken to supermarket recycling boxes as needed, as do batteries and water filters. DH collects any other metal and wood and periodically takes them to the recycling centre about 5 miles away. My council is far from perfect but I can't fault the rubbish collection.

Joseann Tue 16-Apr-24 22:34:03

Here's the top recycling performers, (England), and I live in one of them.
Compared with others on here, our black bin is only emptied every 3 weeks, which makes us careful to recycle as much as possible. A big green sack for plastics and metal, a box for paper, card and glass, a caddy for food waste - all emptied every week. Seems to work well.

Rosie51 Tue 16-Apr-24 22:36:26

I hate it when I get things packaged in polystyrene oh a pet hate of mine! It's the only time the black top bin gets even half full. Forgot to say, we have no additional charges for garden/food waste, but it is being thought about. I fear if a charge is introduced people might just decide to put it in their black bin instead if they have room. I don't generate much garden or food waste so would not like a set charge as in the winter months we don't put that bin out every week, sometimes only every 3 weeks.

NotAGran55 Tue 16-Apr-24 22:39:36

In addition to the black general rubbish bin which is collected fortnightly we have kerbside collections of paper, cardboard, glass, plastic bottles, cans, garden waste and food waste.

There’s almost nothing in the general waste now and I’m planning on tipping it out one week to see what is in there!

I also take flexible plastic to one Waitrose branch, and hard plastic trays, yoghurt pots etc and tetra paks to a different branch of Waitrose.
Batteries go in a pot at Waitrose.

I’m also making a collection of medication blister packs, foil, milk bottle tops etc to recycle when I have enough to send off.

My used contact lenses are recycled by my optician along with old glasses.

I belong to a private FB group and we swap/give away clothing, accessories and unwanted beauty products for the cost of the postage.
Charity shops and the Food Bank get other excess items too.

MayBee70 Tue 16-Apr-24 22:41:18

I do everything possible at home. Currently feeling bad because my decluttering is resulting in me putting things in the bin that I’ve hoarded for years because I hate the thought of it going to landfill. Hate being at my partners because he doesn’t have a brown bin and food waste goes in the black bin. I try to put as much as possible out for the birds but there’s still food waste that ends up in the bin, It really upsets me. I’ve got lots of video tapes and audio tapes that I don’t know what to do with.

grannyactivist Tue 16-Apr-24 22:59:55

I married the king of reuse/recycle. His motto, which he warned me about before we got married is: Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

For forty years he has followed that mantra and at last the rest of society has caught up with him. He used to work in a a fairly big office complex and for years he brought everyone’s recycling home as there was no facility at work then. I was so glad when they finally installed recycling bins.

Our many young house guests are warned that their bins will be policed - and woe betide them if recyclables are found in there.

We are very fortunate to have a Repair Cafe in town too, which means that things that may otherwise be thrown out get fixed or upcycled.

Casdon Tue 16-Apr-24 23:04:31

The tape in video and audio cassettes contains some kind of nasty plastic that is not recyclable MayBee70, so they have to go in your non recyclable waste bin. However you should recycle the boxes. I know this because I took a big bag full of videos from my parents house to the recycling point a few months ago, and the guy at the recycling centre helped me to unbox them all to put the cases in the hard plastics bin.

Granmarderby10 Tue 16-Apr-24 23:27:49

Oh dear Elrel you couldn’t make it up, but hang on! Isn’t that what your council is doing.
I mean rather than them stating clearly and unambiguously that clearing up after fly tipping is largely unaffordable for the authority, they seek to lay some blame on the “victims” ie yourself and your neighbours. Such utter balls.
When abouts if ever will politics - as in the form of local governments just grow up🙄

henetha Tue 16-Apr-24 23:28:20

I'm a keen recycler. We have black or green bins alternate weeks, and boxes for cardboard, plastic, glass, tins, etc. And a blue bag for all kinds of paper
every week. I drive to the recycling centre with bigger things and my grandson often helps me with these.
Our council is one of the best for recycling.

Callistemon21 Tue 16-Apr-24 23:28:59

statswales.gov.wales/Catalogue/Environment-and-Countryside/Waste-Management/Local-Authority-Municipal-Waste/annualreuserecyclingcompostingrates-by-localauthority-year

Most of Wales has a fairly high recycling rate. Our LA has one of the highest.

Callistemon21 Tue 16-Apr-24 23:29:44

There is still fly tipping though (some of it traced back to Bristol addresses!).

MayBee70 Tue 16-Apr-24 23:33:36

Casdon

The tape in video and audio cassettes contains some kind of nasty plastic that is not recyclable MayBee70, so they have to go in your non recyclable waste bin. However you should recycle the boxes. I know this because I took a big bag full of videos from my parents house to the recycling point a few months ago, and the guy at the recycling centre helped me to unbox them all to put the cases in the hard plastics bin.

At least people now tend not to buy DVD’s or cd’s because they have other ways of accessing them ( although I’m afraid I still do!).I’ve got things recorded on video tapes that might be of interest to people but don’t know how to u tube them.