Gransnet forums

Food

My Life in Sandwiches

(45 Posts)
AuntieLouLou Wed 27-Aug-14 09:44:05

I have been blogging about 'My Life in Sandwiches' because flavours seems to conjure up so many associated memories from my childhood.

Do share your sandwich-based memories and stories. It is lovely that my sandwich memories spark recognition among my family and friends too. Shared food experiences connect us to others so closely.

MiniMouse Wed 27-Aug-14 11:18:51

My friend's mum, who had a gaggle of children, used to make a stacked sandwich using alternate layers of brown/white bread with different fillings in each layer. This was then sliced vertically, so that you ended up with a stripey sandwich with different fillings. To me this was truly awesome!

ninathenana Wed 27-Aug-14 11:43:32

Darling dad used to eat peanut butter and lettuce sarnies, I can picture him now. Mum was partial to the occasional banana sarnies.

Galen Wed 27-Aug-14 11:48:41

Slice of baguette, topped by curd cheese, a slice of tomato,liver sausage and a pickled gherkin.
Memories of lunch at the snack bar in Rackhams Birmingham when studying at the a General hospital.

henetha Wed 27-Aug-14 11:50:16

Years ago, when I was being 'wooed' (such an old fashioned word!),
he always made sandwiches for our days out etc. And they never varied.
Always cheese and tomato. I can't see a cheese or tomato sandwich now without thinking back to those heady romantic days.. (or maybe not so romantic in view of the endless cheese and tomato sandwiches!).
He once gave me a tin opener for my birthday. Slight lack of imagination there, I think.

sparkygran Wed 27-Aug-14 12:13:05

MiniMouse my mother used to make those self same sandwiches and called them "ribbon sandwiches" they were served only on special occasions. Usually it was banana or does anyone remember Sandwich Spread? Though come to think of it she made Mars Bar sandwiches on Veda bread (this is a N Ireland delicacy) my brother loved them!!! Questionable taste

Galen Wed 27-Aug-14 12:41:54

I still make sandwich spread ones and take them to work.

Agus Wed 27-Aug-14 12:43:52

When I was an au pair in France I had to make up bourneville chocolate sandwiches for the children. A combination I had never heard of but was a normal sandwich for children in the area I lived in.

DH still loves a sandwich spread sandwich. One I like is cheese and marmalade.

AuntieLouLou Wed 27-Aug-14 18:37:49

Thank you for all these lovely memories. I was once addicted to sandwich spread! I am also a fan of the fish finger sandwich. However, a very early memory has been inspired by a golden syrup sandwich - this comes from the age of four or five - we were in the kitchen with mum and somehow there was golden syrup everywhere... My brother and I were hastened to the bathroom to be scrubbed down as we even had syrup in our hair.

Keep the memories coming!

rosequartz Wed 27-Aug-14 18:42:44

Cheese, pickle and sand
Ham, tomato and sand
Meat or fish spread with sand

Who cared as long as we were on the beach and the sun was shining? (or even in the rain under blankets, umbrellas)

Greenfinch Wed 27-Aug-14 19:16:44

Date sandwiches using blocks of cooking dates. Lovely and sweet.

Galen Wed 27-Aug-14 19:35:48

Anything that involves pickled gherkins is fine by meM

besottedgran Wed 27-Aug-14 21:26:33

Embarrassed to admit that I'm partial to a crisp sandwich. Cheese and onion preferably. Best eaten alone as a bit crumbly.

Rosiebee Wed 27-Aug-14 22:02:40

Tomato sandwiches conjure up memories as a child, of sitting, eating one under an apple tree in the garden, with my back against the trunk - I can feel it now. It's my 'go-to' summer sandwich, has to be good white bread, butter and a dash of salad cream.
Sky high lettuce sandwiches remind me of my dear old Dad, though nowadays it's likely to be a mix of lambs lettuce and rocket as opposed to lettuce Dad had grown himself.
I think I could live on sandwiches if pushed! smile

Coolgran65 Wed 27-Aug-14 22:09:02

Crisp and apple sandwich.

50 years ago my father used to take date sandwiches to work, cut from the block of cooking dates and wrapped in the wax loaf paper. I hated them.

On a Saturday as children our mother would make a loaf of egg and tomato sandwiches. The tomatoes were skinned and the egg and tomato chopped up finely together with loads of salt and pepper - white bread. It brings back sitting at the open fire with the football results on the t.v.

Sparkygran - I'm another veda fanatic, toasted with melted butter and banana with a slight dash of marmite. (maybe that's not a true sandwich if only one slice)

rosequartz Wed 27-Aug-14 22:31:30

Egg sandwiches are the best, with a dash of salad cream or mayonnaise, salt and pepper, preferably on really fresh, white bread.

DH was disgusted when I said I liked 'chip butties'.

POGS Wed 27-Aug-14 22:40:17

I wasn't going to post as I have said so many times my dear mum used to love Fry's Turkish Delight sandwiches.

Then I remembered my brother in law likes cold left over curry, rice and prawn flavoured crisps. [ confused]

I like cheese and tomato sannies but the tomato has to have 'soggied' the bread.

kittylester Thu 28-Aug-14 08:17:12

My dad used to make us sugar sandwiches for a treat, smile

Brendawymms Thu 28-Aug-14 08:52:01

Condensed milk sandwiches every time for me. Such a treat as a child I still occasionally have one. Trouble is once I open a tin of condensed milk have to eat the lot from a spoon.!

feetlebaum Thu 28-Aug-14 08:57:45

s for condensed milk sandwiches - that's an immediate memory of Lenny Henry's dread-locked character - was it in TISWAS?

feetlebaum Thu 28-Aug-14 08:59:49

PS: And don;t forget The Perishers comic strip, in which Marlon's 'inch-thick ketchup sandwiches' were considered to be a menace by the other characters, whi usually got splashed...

rosequartz Thu 28-Aug-14 09:20:20

kitty I remember that my grandma used to make me sugar 'butties'!

kittylester Thu 28-Aug-14 09:30:23

I've also remembered the dreaded tongue barm cakes my Nan used to make to eat on the train when we went north to visit relatives. [yeuck]

janerowena Thu 28-Aug-14 11:55:08

My grandmother used to make us condensed milk sandwiches, and told us not to tell our mother, who always made sandwiches with beef or cheese and lots of salad in them. To discover that there were jam sandwiches, condensed milk, even sugar sandwiches, was a revelation! As it was that very same grandmother who taught our mother not to fill us up with sweet stuff, but to give us protein and veg, she was being a bit naughty, but I think those were treats that she associated with the war years.

Whereas my mother's idea of a treat during the war years was a banana sandwich, fruit always including a pineapple for my grandmother carted back carefully from wherever by my grandfather, who was in the navy.

feetlebaum Thu 28-Aug-14 12:15:08

Wherever did she get bananas in the war years? The only ones we saw were wax replicas hanging up at the greengrocers.