Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

100% carnivore diet

(107 Posts)
Fleurpepper Wed 26-Jul-23 13:30:24

Just hosted someone (much younger and from different continent so no chance she will read this) - who has adopted 100% no carbs and carnivore diet, + cream and butter.

She has lost half her body weight, as she was morbidly obese and has regained a lot of mobility. But surely this is NOT the wax, for health and environment issues.

Your thoughts?

Georgesgran Wed 26-Jul-23 13:48:54

DD1 and SinL have used a similar diet - lost weight in a short period for their holiday, but must say neither was more than 10lbs overweight.
Coffee with double cream and a spoonful of butter!!! Yuck!!
However, some carbs, but in the form of sweet potatoes only.
They’ve done it for a month and ready to ditch it next Friday😂.

Maggiemaybe Wed 26-Jul-23 13:50:03

Is this some extreme form of the Atkins diet? I tried that one once, for all of a day and a half - I just felt so ill.

But perhaps if your friend was morbidly obese this was prescribed for her to lose weight quickly for health reasons?

Fleurpepper Wed 26-Jul-23 13:50:46

not the way (not wax)

Fleurpepper Wed 26-Jul-23 14:00:20

Yes, Maggiemaybe, an extreme form of Atkins. She was not prescribed it, it was entirely here choice, and it worked. But can you imagine the environmental consequences if many switched to carnivore diet. And the issues with bad cholesterol and colon cancer, etc,

Couldn't really discuss it with her as she was adamant it was her only way. In the last 2 years she has eaten 1 apricot, and a tiny tiny bit of my potatoes to taste.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 26-Jul-23 14:05:39

It must be rather expensive as well as pretty unhealthy.

Doodledog Wed 26-Jul-23 14:14:20

It must be grim, but given the prejudice against the overweight, it doesn't surprise me that people try extreme measures.

Ailidh Wed 26-Jul-23 15:10:11

It sounds a bit like the Stillman Diet.

I tried that about four decades ago. I lost 20lbs in 4 weeks but felt terrible and had breath like owl droppings.

BeverleyJB Wed 26-Jul-23 15:13:14

Ailidh

I tried that about four decades ago. I lost 20lbs in 4 weeks but felt terrible and had breath like owl droppings.

I'm extremely impressed that you know what owl droppings smell like! smilegrin

Witzend Wed 26-Jul-23 15:15:52

There used to be something similar called the Stone Age Diet - my mother used to talk about it in the 60s/70s. Meat - with the fat - so it’d never do for me.

IIRC butter and cream were unlimited, but with no carbs, I don’t know what you’d put them on, but I suppose that was the idea. Without bread/potatoes/cake etc. they’re strictly self-limiting.

Ailidh Wed 26-Jul-23 15:16:02

BeverleyJB

Ailidh

I'm extremely impressed that you know what owl droppings smell like! smilegrin

Lol!!

It's how it seemed to me - and, believe me! - no one else would come close enough to confirm or deny my suspicions!!

Grin.

Norah Wed 26-Jul-23 15:22:16

Witzend

There used to be something similar called the Stone Age Diet - my mother used to talk about it in the 60s/70s. Meat - with the fat - so it’d never do for me.

IIRC butter and cream were unlimited, but with no carbs, I don’t know what you’d put them on, but I suppose that was the idea. Without bread/potatoes/cake etc. they’re strictly self-limiting.

I suppose butter is used on steak, on crab, and to cook with? One of my family prefers steak with butter, steak and eggs, coffee and double cream to other food - and he is healthy/slim.

Foxygloves Wed 26-Jul-23 15:36:01

I wonder what her cholesterol is?

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 26-Jul-23 15:51:32

Off the scale?

Kate1949 Wed 26-Jul-23 15:56:03

Some years ago our daughter lost four and a half stone on the Atkins diet. No exercise, diet only. She went from a size 18 to a 10-12. She has largely kept it iff .

Kate1949 Wed 26-Jul-23 15:56:27

off

Blondiescot Wed 26-Jul-23 15:59:36

Kate1949

Some years ago our daughter lost four and a half stone on the Atkins diet. No exercise, diet only. She went from a size 18 to a 10-12. She has largely kept it iff .

My husband did the same. He lost a lot of weight on the Atkins and has largely kept it off too. If he does feel he has put on a few pounds, he goes back to it for a while. I couldn't follow it even if I wanted to (thanks to a combination of various medical issues), and the one mentioned sounds like an even more extreme version of it.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 26-Jul-23 16:01:01

I’m sure I read that the Princess of Wales followed the Atkins diet to lose weight for her wedding. She’s certainly kept it off (what there was of it in the first place!).

Callistemon21 Wed 26-Jul-23 16:01:27

Witzend

There is a Paleo diet which is promoted as being nearer to the original diet of humans:
www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/paleo-diet/art-20111182
No dairy, obviously, just healthier fats.
However, it is deficient in some nutrients and the life expectancy of Stone Age people was about 30 (for various reasons, not just diet).

I would think short-term it would be fine if it is proved to help in weight loss but surely this person needs to add more variety, more fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds to their diet?

Fleurpepper Wed 26-Jul-23 16:36:49

Norah

Witzend

I suppose butter is used on steak, on crab, and to cook with? One of my family prefers steak with butter, steak and eggs, coffee and double cream to other food - and he is healthy/slim.

We provided her with her own kitchen, as her diet is so extreme, but she came and ate with us. She cut thick slices of butter and ate it, as well as on steak.

This is not Atkins at all, but much much more severe. ZERO carbs. Her cholesterol is very high, but she is adamant it is not an issue. And yes, soooo expensive. As she was handicapped by her morbid obesity, she is still on invalidity benefit!?!

Callistemon21 Wed 26-Jul-23 17:04:02

Perhaps she's worried that if she starts eating more "normally" she may put weight on again.

I've tried to cut down on carbs this week (not completely as I have eaten a few new potatoes), eaten salads, vegetables, fruit and good protein with drizzles of olive oil.

I've gained half a pound.

Fleurpepper Wed 26-Jul-23 19:11:51

Cuting down on carbs is one thing- but this is another. NO - ZERO carbs.

And yes, I think you are right, it is all about control and the fear of losing control, probably.

She was a really nice and pleasant guest- but this aspect was quite shocking. I am not gossiping btw, or criticising as such. Just concerned.

Calipso Wed 26-Jul-23 19:25:29

Doesn't seem to have done my cats any harm.
They are apparently not the slightest bit concerned with their cholesterol levels.

🤣🐈🐈‍⬛

Whiff Wed 26-Jul-23 21:42:09

Not a healthy way to diet. She is heading for damage to her organs and she must have problems going to the toilet . If your body doesn't have all the nutrients it needs parts will stop working. And that sort of diet is a heart attack waiting to happen..

Foxygloves Wed 26-Jul-23 22:00:25

Calipso

Doesn't seem to have done my cats any harm.
They are apparently not the slightest bit concerned with their cholesterol levels.

🤣🐈🐈‍⬛

Is it stating the obvious to say a cats digestive system is not the same as a human’s?