Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Have you started the new Slimming injections?

(31 Posts)
Primrose53 Fri 05-May-23 08:25:44

Anybody on here started on these? They are fairly new out. Someone I know asked the GP who refused to prescribe them. She has now bought them herself online. They are supposed to make you feel full so you eat less but they do have some nasty side effects.

BlueBelle Fri 05-May-23 08:37:46

My friend was put on them by her doctor a few months ago she is very overweight and a number of health problems She is not a big eater but some of her medication doesn’t help however she hasn’t lost a pound since being on them !!!

Fleurpepper Fri 05-May-23 10:04:26

NO way.

MerylStreep Fri 05-May-23 10:07:31

they are supposed to make you feel full so you eat less
So will a glass of water 😄

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 05-May-23 10:11:34

I can’t believe anyone would be so stupid to buy online a drug their GP refused to prescribe. And an injectable one at that. Madness. Sensible diet, correct portioning, exercise, willpower.

Blondiescot Fri 05-May-23 11:08:19

Germanshepherdsmum

I can’t believe anyone would be so stupid to buy online a drug their GP refused to prescribe. And an injectable one at that. Madness. Sensible diet, correct portioning, exercise, willpower.

Sadly, some people just want a quick fix and now that you can buy almost anything online, it's there at the click of a button. Being very overweight myself, and having tried almost everything to shift the pounds, I admit that I would consider the injections, but only if my doctor prescribed them for me, having agreed they would be suitable for me. I certainly wouldn't resort to buying them online. I'm on a number of holiday forums and it shocks me to see the number of women who post on there about tanning injections and tanning drugs, which they order online. These drugs are not licensed for use in this country and the FDA has expressed concerns about their serious side effects, yet it seems many are prepared to risk their health for the sake of a sun tan!

Blossoming Fri 05-May-23 11:17:50

I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. A low carb diet would be more effective and longer lasting.

ExDancer Fri 05-May-23 11:29:54

I've watched a friend struggle with her weight and honestly its a complete nightmare for her. She can't understand how I can leave food on a plate because I'm 'full', which I frequently do at restaurants as they give you such large platefuls.
She tells me she's never feel full.
We skinnies, who have a natural 'off switch' can't see the problem. There's no will-power involved (well not for me) if I'm not hungry I don't eat - yet she'll eat until its all gone.
She'd happily take as many injections as available and I can understand why.

Primrose53 Fri 05-May-23 12:02:12

I am quite concerned about her. She has tried every diet going, she has had hypnotherapy, diet pills, diet shakes, counselling, every slimming group, and a gastric bypass operation on the NHS. That worked for a while until she started eating the wrong things again and now she has put most of it on again.

It is very wrong but you can buy them online via high street chemists who ask you to complete a short questionnaire. I read elsewhere that a woman was asked Do you have an eating disorder? She said Yes and the reply was she was not suitable for the injections. She did it again and put No and they were prescribed for her!!

She eats all the wrong things and makes no attempt to change her way of eating. She refuses to discuss this.

I have told her to read up about side effects but she says she will give them a try and see what happens. She is in total denial.

Even after her bypass op she discovered that she can’t eat a full meal in one go, but if she leaves it a while and has a drink, she can. So she is very often eating cold scampi and chips. Same with chocolate, right from the start she was told she must not eat high calorie foods after the op, but she does.

They cost £170 which last about a month and I believe you can only be on them for about 6 months.

Metra Fri 05-May-23 12:28:41

Thank you ExDancer for being so understanding about your friend's problems and not condemning her, and others like her, as so many people do. I too have struggled, unsuccessfully with my weight all of my life. Please ask your friend to read a new book by Dr Chris van Tulleken, 'Ultra-Processed People Why Do We All Eat Stuff That isn't Food... and Why Can't We Stop?' It is fascinating and draws on research from around the world. I hope it helps her at least understand why she eats what she does despite knowing that she shouldn't.

Primrose53 Fri 05-May-23 13:35:25

Metra

Thank you ExDancer for being so understanding about your friend's problems and not condemning her, and others like her, as so many people do. I too have struggled, unsuccessfully with my weight all of my life. Please ask your friend to read a new book by Dr Chris van Tulleken, 'Ultra-Processed People Why Do We All Eat Stuff That isn't Food... and Why Can't We Stop?' It is fascinating and draws on research from around the world. I hope it helps her at least understand why she eats what she does despite knowing that she shouldn't.

I hope you don’t think I am condemning my friend Metra. I have tried to support her for years. Every time there’s an article about weight loss or a prog on TV (and the Dr you mention has done many) I always text her but she just says she can’t be bothered and she has had this problem all her life and nothing works for her.

She is unable to accept that she must change her eating habits if she is to lose weight. I have even cooked nice healthy meals for her and she has turned her nose up. When she had a garden party at her house I made a huge fresh fruit salad and her husband woofed it down and said “that was gorgeous, we never eat stuff like this.” She had bought gateaux, cakes, sausage rolls, pizzas, fried chicken etc.

I read an article just last week by Dr Chris above and it made sense to me but my friend would just say “that’s all the stuff I love.”

Her ideal foods are steak and kidney pudding, chips, scampi, sandwiches of any sort, crisps, cakes, cheese and crackers and wine. She barely eats veg and no fruit at all and very little salad, despite KNOWING all her life that these are good for you.

I wish I could help her because I think she is just throwing her money away on these jabs.

PamelaJ1 Sat 06-May-23 06:42:24

Metra I have been listening to the podcasts that the twins have done and I heard the interview that Chris had on R4.
They talk such sense and to those of us who eat food that is not UProcessed it’s a no brainer, however, all my fat friends eat low this and low that, all food that has been messed about with.
It makes it all so difficult for them, they don’t get the nutrients that their body needs so their ‘gut’ brain tells their head brain it needs more. A vicious circle.

rafichagran Sat 06-May-23 07:15:43

Germanshepherdsmum

I agree, I have no willpower snd love food that is bad for me, much to my exercise,good eating partners horror.
I recently retired and found I have lost weight by not always nipping out for Lattes, sausage rolls and bacon sandwiches. I am now a 14/16 instead of a 16/18. I am not short either so I look proportioned. I will get down to a 14 then I will maintain that weight, I don't want to be the 10 I was in my younger days. I would not touch those injections, especially if my GP won't prescribe them.

Primrose53 Tue 09-May-23 18:33:59

rafichagran

Germanshepherdsmum

I agree, I have no willpower snd love food that is bad for me, much to my exercise,good eating partners horror.
I recently retired and found I have lost weight by not always nipping out for Lattes, sausage rolls and bacon sandwiches. I am now a 14/16 instead of a 16/18. I am not short either so I look proportioned. I will get down to a 14 then I will maintain that weight, I don't want to be the 10 I was in my younger days. I would not touch those injections, especially if my GP won't prescribe them.

I think the reason the GP wouldn’t prescribe them is because she has already had a gastric bypass on the NHS which costs them £10,000+ and also because these injections cost about £170 a month.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 09-May-23 19:05:22

I doubt it’s a matter of what the injections cost. If she’s had a gastric bypass and is still overweight there must be a reason other than what she eats. The doctor will have told her why he won’t prescribe these injections. What is the reason?

FannyCornforth Tue 09-May-23 19:09:27

BlueBelle

My friend was put on them by her doctor a few months ago she is very overweight and a number of health problems She is not a big eater but some of her medication doesn’t help however she hasn’t lost a pound since being on them !!!

I sound like your friend.
As you know, I’m on loads of medication and because of my blooming ‘mobility issues’ I’m barely mobile.
My metabolism is well and truly up the creek due to borderline anorexia.
I only eat one meal a day.
I thought this would be a magic bullet, but no.
All weight loss solutions seem to be based around problem over eaters

FannyCornforth Tue 09-May-23 19:10:23

The anorexia was in my past, I was not very clear

VioletSky Tue 09-May-23 19:50:48

I always eat my feelings

I've never needed an appetite

I just don't think this seems like a good idea

hulahoop Thu 20-Jul-23 11:38:44

I have just been talking to nurse at Drs .She was saying they are meant primary for diabetics and people on tablets which cause weight gain e.g. steroids,they are being bought up then sold at a higher cost via web. Trouble is nobody is being monitored which happens when prescribed by Dr they are not suitable for some people.

Primrose53 Thu 20-Jul-23 12:30:07

Germanshepherdsmum

I doubt it’s a matter of what the injections cost. If she’s had a gastric bypass and is still overweight there must be a reason other than what she eats. The doctor will have told her why he won’t prescribe these injections. What is the reason?

He says the problem with food is in her head. If the gastric bypass didn’t work, neither will this. She eats the wrong things and will not try to change her eating habits.

Nicenanny3 Thu 20-Jul-23 12:36:05

Sounds like she's eating herself into an early grave.

sodapop Thu 20-Jul-23 12:40:18

Her Dr is exactly right Primrose53 your friend needs to get help with her mental health. There are several different therapies available I'm sure her GP practice would advise her.

Primrose53 Thu 20-Jul-23 12:46:52

sodapop

Her Dr is exactly right Primrose53 your friend needs to get help with her mental health. There are several different therapies available I'm sure her GP practice would advise her.

I know that Sodapop but she doesn’t accept it. She honestly believes she can eat what she wants, when she wants and there is some magic trick that will make her lose weight without giving up her favourite high calorie foods.

Before the op she had to see a psychologist or psychiatrist which was an absolute joke. They are supposed to be able to assess whether she is a suitable candidate and in the right frame of mind. She just went on all these weight loss sites where people tell each other what will be asked and how to answer. I remember her telling me she promised him she would change her eating habits, cut out alcohol etc after her op but she only did for a few weeks. i can’t believe they are so easily fooled.

AreWeThereYet Thu 20-Jul-23 12:59:57

The other notable downsides are side effects, including nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and constipation, with some reporting feeling weak or tired, dizziness, and insomnia. Injection site reactions such as bruising, pain or a rash are occasionally reported.

If those are the side effects I wouldn't be at all surprised if people lose weight.

Shelmiss Thu 20-Jul-23 13:05:08

I would just say to you that maybe you should leave her be now and let her get on with whatever she wants to do, or not do. You aren’t going to be able to do it for her (diet/exercise/whatever) as she has to do it for herself.

I know it must be hard watching her and listening to her, but she has to do it for herself and you need to accept that fact.