Gransnet forums

Chat

People eating and drinking on the go

(101 Posts)
Truffle43 Wed 17-Apr-24 01:08:24

I often see people drinking coffee and eating while out and about and cannot understand the need to do this. Can anyone enlighten me?
It’s not people rushing around on lunch breaks but people in general you see them in town visiting shops hot drinks in hand food being eaten on the go. I hate it in the clothes shops as it spoils my browsing when someone next to me has a hot drink and we are stood shoulder to shoulder looking at the same clothes rail. I tend to walk away as it unnerves me. I would much rather sit down and enjoy the food and drink and do wonder why it is the norm to do this.

welbeck Wed 17-Apr-24 01:13:04

i would not like that, they might damage the stock.
but generally, it's part of a relaxed way of life.

Namsnanny Wed 17-Apr-24 01:20:34

I don't care for it either, but it is well ingrained in society now.

Pantglas2 Wed 17-Apr-24 05:39:08

I’m another who likes to sit and enjoy a meal/ snack, although obviously an ice cream in the sunshine is a delight.

The one thing I’ve never understood is paying £3+ for a coffee on the go - if you had time to stop and buy one, surely you had time to make one at home and take it with you?

JamesandJon33 Wed 17-Apr-24 06:06:43

I remember many years ago in a
Asda, a family who bought a rotisserie chicken. The father stood in the shop and tore it into four bits with his hands. Both boys and his wife received a large bit and he the rest. They continued to shop, surrounded by the smell of hot chicken. I didn’t see them leave the shop but often wonder if they paid for that chicken. I’ve never forgotten how shocked I was when the father just stood and tore them chicken to pieces .

RunaroundSue Wed 17-Apr-24 06:17:51

I totally agree, I never eat or drink when walking, but I do have a bottle of water in my bag on a hot day. Also, most shops state no food or drink allowed in the store. Can you imagine these people who have a coffee in one hand and a Greggs sandwich in the other sticking their greasy fingers all over the clothes. Yuk.

grandMattie Wed 17-Apr-24 06:18:33

I brought up thinking that food consumption was to be done sitting down and in “private”! I Think the street consumption of food and drink most unpleasant.
I have no idea why drinks especially are clutched like a security blanket…

NotAGran55 Wed 17-Apr-24 06:48:05

I would definitely trip over if I tried to eat or drink whilst walking along.
I only have ice cream in a tub and sit down to enjoy it whilst watching the world go by.

Curtaintwitcher Wed 17-Apr-24 06:56:59

When I was a child, eating in the street was considered uncouth. Another area where standards have dropped. I'm surprised that shop keepers allow people with food to enter, especially a clothes shop.
Perhaps this is part of the reason why there is such a problem with litter.
I know I sound snobby, but it's obvious that the uncouth are in the vast majority. Their low standards are taking over. Well, I shan't drop mine.

Calendargirl Wed 17-Apr-24 07:04:07

Yes, it was considered ‘uncouth’, and dare I say, ‘common’.

Cabbie21 Wed 17-Apr-24 07:04:40

The school I last taught at had a very forward looking Head, but one thing she dinned into the pupils was that eating and drinking in the street is unacceptable, except maybe on the sea front. ( We were very much inland)

GrannyIvy Wed 17-Apr-24 07:05:28

When Waitrose started offering free coffee and saw people juggling trolleys and coffee I was horrified. However at least they now only offer this at the end of the shopping experience. It is the people that take the lids of disposable cups and lurch around spilling hot drinks on people that I hate. Ban all food and drinks whilst wandering in shops. Maybe I am just old and grumpy!!

mumofmadboys Wed 17-Apr-24 07:19:03

I go for an early walk each morning and usually eat a banana for my breakfast as I walk! Perhaps I am uncouth!

Calendargirl Wed 17-Apr-24 07:22:21

mumofmadboys

I go for an early walk each morning and usually eat a banana for my breakfast as I walk! Perhaps I am uncouth!

Well, I hope you don’t chuck the skin down!

That would indeed be ‘uncouth’ and definitely ‘common’.

grin

mumofmadboys Wed 17-Apr-24 07:27:51

No I pass a couple of litter bins!!

BlueBelle Wed 17-Apr-24 07:34:47

The word ‘common’ was used in my family too apart from a sweet, an ice cream or an organised picnic, we NEVER ate outside the house. it was common and bad manners to eat in pubic oh how I wish those days were back

People are messy and dirty and then blame the seagulls and pigeons and call them vermin.

Humans are dirty! no one can be that hungry that they can’t wait to get home, and not only that then they throw the half eaten sandwich, burger etc away and miss the overfull bin

Grrrrrr

Cabbie21 Wed 17-Apr-24 07:39:11

Actually there are some occasions when I need to eat when out during the day. I discreetly eat a sandwich on the bus between appointments as there is no other opportunity. I feel awkward about it, but sometimes needs must. Naturally I leave no litter and avoid smelly foods.

Astitchintime Wed 17-Apr-24 07:40:02

Growing up, the only time we were allowed to eat and drink in public was during a picnic and even then we had to sit down together as a family, wandering around with a sandwich etc was not allowed.

Even now, on the rare occasions that I am in town I am amazed at the number of people, more so the younger generation, who sit around or stroll about in the shopping centre consuming drinks and munching away on pastries, burgers, and the like.

If they have to eat, why can't the sit in a cafe?

Cossy Wed 17-Apr-24 08:29:07

I wasn’t allowed to eat or drink in the street as a child, my mother said it was “common”!

We didn’t let our children do it as it’s messy!

Much nicer to sit in a coffee shop/cafe/restaurant and enjoy ones refreshments

Truffle43 Wed 17-Apr-24 08:29:47

I understand that some people really do need to eat or drink while out medical conditions, rushed work breaks or other reasons. I just wish that the other people doing it be considerate of others.

LucyLocket55 Wed 17-Apr-24 08:31:43

My husband won’t eat anything that isn’t on a plate, but I’m not so particular. I think it is because I am out and about more than he is.

I’m not too worried by eating and drinking on the go, within reason, but I have been astounded once. Remembrance Day service and wreath laying at our local church, the chairman of our Parish Council, who is not religious, fair enough, came to the church with his travel mug of coffee, sat in the back pew drinking it during the service but, at least, he had finished it before the 2 minute silence and wreath laying!!

RosiesMaw Wed 17-Apr-24 08:36:39

Is it anybody’s business but their own?
Disapproval of others seems to be some people’s default position.
Personally I enjoy a coffee whether from Costa or my own flask on a train journey and while I would not go as far as some who seem to sit down to an entire meal, (apart from a champagne supper on Eurostar with the daughters en route for my birthday weekend) it really does not concern me.
(I have never seen cups of coffee or whatever while browsing in clothes shops though.)

Auntieflo Wed 17-Apr-24 08:47:41

I think one of the reasons that I don't go to a cinema any more is because of the smelly food on offer.
Just makes me feel nauseous.
Popcorn (plain) and a drink OK, but anything more, no!

zakouma66 Wed 17-Apr-24 08:47:52

Gosh, how I remember my mother sniffing at the very idea of eating anything in the street. Along with mentioning a rival shop to an assistant, putting your elbows on the table or using a mug instead of a cup and saucer.

I'm not sure about this constant swigging from a water bottle that seems necessary.

Georgesgran Wed 17-Apr-24 08:53:54

At school it was drummed into us that eating in the street was unacceptable - the only exception was fish and chips, then only at the coast and sitting down.
However, things have evolved and I’ve no problems with a ‘walking coffee’ and I’ve never encountered a problem in clothes shops. People seem quite considerate.
We are fans of Newcastle’s Sunday Quayside Market - there’s lots of street food on offer and not many seats!