Gransnet forums

Chat

Littering.

(69 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 11-Apr-24 15:57:42

What happened to the 'keep Britain tidy' campaign?
We need it more than ever.

glammagran Thu 11-Apr-24 16:03:21

I agree - people who drop litter make me feel murderous.

MayBee70 Thu 11-Apr-24 16:12:01

I just picked a glass beer bottle off the beach.

MissInterpreted Thu 11-Apr-24 16:13:42

It's a pet hate of mine and there's no excuse for it whatsoever. My children and my grandson were all taught from an early age never to drop litter. It's not hard - if there are no bins nearby, just take it home. Fast food litter in particular drives me mad!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Apr-24 16:16:19

I confronted (from the safety of my car) a man this lunchtime, he came out of Tesco’s Metro at the top of our road, with the Tesco basket over his arm, he removed a sandwich from the basket and promptly dropped the packaging on the floor.

I got a mouth full of abuse, hand gestures the lot, DH was rather cross with me, but I was furious with the littering lowlife 😡

Iam64 Thu 11-Apr-24 16:18:19

Yes to keep Britain tidy
Add another favourite - catch your germs in a handkerchief

Elegran Thu 11-Apr-24 16:23:21

Urmstongran

What happened to the 'keep Britain tidy' campaign?
We need it more than ever.

What happened was that when was first introduced (ages ago!) hardly anyone was prosecuted for dropping litter, presumably because someone said each time, "It's only a couple of bits, it's not worth the trouble of arresting them".

As a result there were no high-profile well-publicised examples to bring it home to everyone straight away that this was a serious attempt to do just what it was billed as - Keep Britain Tidy - so the offenders kept on dropping bits here and bits there until there is now almost nowhere that is free from other people's rubbish.

Gwyllt Thu 11-Apr-24 16:23:33

You should live where I do
I am convinced some folk pull into our top drive and clear their cars out
Everything from paper coffee cups, beer cans , plastic bottles and bags, chip cartons etc
Need I go on.

Iam64 Thu 11-Apr-24 16:29:01

It’s worse though. One of my regular walks now has a takeout coffee stall. Who needs a coffee to walk three miles? Result - discarded coffee cups and bread wrappers as these awful people also throw their old bread out for the water birds 🪿

Gwyllt Thu 11-Apr-24 16:34:45

Iam64 I would have done, after two new hips when I first started walking a coffee stop would have been great Good excuse to stop

Callistemon21 Thu 11-Apr-24 16:35:41

Not to mention fly tipping in farmers' fields and in beautiful woodland.

I know no-one who would do this but there must be a lot of filthy people around with no social conscience.

Very brave of you GrannyGravy, what a low life but just the kind of person who might attack you too.

Grandmabatty Thu 11-Apr-24 16:37:49

My village community council, every weekend, clear the streets of litter. They are to be commended.

Iam64 Thu 11-Apr-24 16:39:51

Gwyllt

Iam64 I would have done, after two new hips when I first started walking a coffee stop would have been great Good excuse to stop

Yes a good idea to stop but not to wander off with the cup which is then abandoned on the pathway

Kate1949 Thu 11-Apr-24 16:40:05

We have a canal at the back of our house. It seems to attract fly tippers. It makes my blood boil. If we walk along the tow path, the amount of rubbish is awful. People even feed the ducks and throw the bread bags on the bank.

Freya5 Thu 11-Apr-24 16:42:07

GrannyGravy13

I confronted (from the safety of my car) a man this lunchtime, he came out of Tesco’s Metro at the top of our road, with the Tesco basket over his arm, he removed a sandwich from the basket and promptly dropped the packaging on the floor.

I got a mouth full of abuse, hand gestures the lot, DH was rather cross with me, but I was furious with the littering lowlife 😡

I remember, again Tescos, walking into the store, woman coming towards me, eating a sandwich, threw some on the ground, "would you do that at home" I said, she threw the rest in my face. Charming individual, wonder if her children now do the same. Some people are complete and utter slobs. That goes for some dog walkers who leave their pet crap in a bag dangling from a tree.

Callistemon21 Thu 11-Apr-24 16:42:32

Grandmabatty

My village community council, every weekend, clear the streets of litter. They are to be commended.

Yes, we have volunteers here who do litter picking - but it shouldn't be necessary.

Georgesgran Thu 11-Apr-24 16:43:12

I love a ‘walking coffee’ where I take DD2’s Little Dog.
Unfortunately the cafe in/and the local museum closed down.

Shelflife Thu 11-Apr-24 16:44:25

It's something me and my siblings were taught from a very early age, not to drop litter. I remember being at guide camp and after we struck camp we all formed a horizontal line and walked the campsite looking for any thing that shouldn't be there - the field was left in perfect condition.
Well done Granny Gravy , very brave of you, it has already been said but the abuse he threw at you is typical of someone who we would drop litter! It beggers belief why anyone would do it.

Casdon Thu 11-Apr-24 17:05:54

Iam64

Yes to keep Britain tidy
Add another favourite - catch your germs in a handkerchief

I was trying to buy some proper handkerchiefs for my Dad when I was out shopping yesterday, it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. I eventually tracked some down in Matalan, which was the sixth shop I tried. We’ve become a disposables society, and moving away from that would really help reduce the litter problem.

Primrose53 Thu 11-Apr-24 17:20:24

I used to run a litter group. We did it for 2 years and the rubbish we collected was staggering. We used to find McDonald’s wrappings and the nearest branch was over 20 miles away!

Redrobin51 Thu 11-Apr-24 21:53:02

I used to be ina lottery picking group. Over several weekends we cleared a beautiful piece of woodland. There were mattresses, car parts, tiles, cupboards as well as the normal cans, bottles, paper. We went back 3 months later and it was as bad as before thr first "pick". So disheartening. My health isn't so good now so I do a gentle litter pick in my nearby park. There are 3 bins and people still manage to miss them. As a responsible dog owner dont start me on thr subject of dog poo!

Greta Fri 12-Apr-24 07:32:27

As far as I know it's illegal to drop litter. Doesn't seem to bother many though. What I have learnt is that it's completely out of order to tell a litter dropper off. It has become a risky business.

FindingNemo15 Fri 12-Apr-24 07:51:41

Did anyone watch the Tonight programme last night about fly tipping?

Absolutely disgusting and depressing to see. Some areas are beyond recovery now.

There was a spokesperson from Keep Britain Tidy speaking on it.

Greta Fri 12-Apr-24 08:18:30

Watching and talking about littering won't be enough though. Where is the action?

Juliet27 Fri 12-Apr-24 09:07:26

A friend had the police come round to accuse her of dumping rubbish. Her name and address had been on an item that a kitchen fitter had dumped with old units after working at her house.