Gransnet forums

Chat

Really fed up......

(55 Posts)
nanapug Sat 30-Aug-14 12:29:01

Sorry to moan ladies but need an outlet!! I have trouble with my weight at the best of times but over the last few weeks I have had big problems with my back, and then just as that resolved itself the old knees started playing up. As a consequence I have not been nearly as active as I usually am and I have piled the weight on, which of course in turn makes the back and knees worse. I am not really sure why I am sharing this as I know there are many people in worse situations but my summer has been hijacked and I am pi**ed off!! Thanks for listening, now I must try to get my arse in to gear and try to do something sad

Nelliemoser Mon 08-Sep-14 17:15:07

I stopped eating red meat many years ago as It seemed to give me very painful shoulders. I was only in my 30s then.
It seemed to work and some time late when I decided to try some pork (well didn't look red) hmm. The problem returned. I am now completely vegetarian. and I don't have the arthritic pain in my shoulders as I did.

Aprillass Mon 08-Sep-14 18:01:19

Nanapug, I am a similar boat. I will need both knees replacing and have to lose wait. It is v difficult when you can't exercise.

I found another doctor at the same surgery who has been v helpful. Giving me injections in the knee and Tramadol to help me get around and exercise.

I have joined a Curves fitness club which takes 30 mins a day using resistance machines. It has helped a lot as has doing 15 mins gentle cycling on an exercise bike each day to keep knees mobile.

It is still painful but I have managed to lose 2.5 sts - another 5 sts to go! Keep trying and don't give up

Katek Mon 08-Sep-14 18:45:15

I took the bull by the horns three weeks ago and started work with a personal trainer. I have disabilities and, like others, am caught in the trap of being overweight and the resultant difficulties in exercising. I decided I could sit like a fat lump on the end of the sofa or get off my posterior and try to be the best I could be. I've been so surprised to discover how much I can actually do in the way of exercise! Ok I'll never run a marathon or play sport but after 5 sessions I'm already beginning to notice slight improvements in muscle tone. I'm so pleased with myself!!

Nanabelle Sat 13-Sep-14 23:30:51

Katek - "try to be the best I could be". Great post Katek, and inspiring. I think a personal trainer is a great idea if you have some problems that make normal classes unsuitable. Their knowledge of what you can do obviously makes a huge difference.
Are you joining the Monday Weigh In thread? I have been away for a week's holiday and eaten far too much, so back on track tomorrow. Hopefully what I have put on this week will fall off as quickly as it went on.