Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

how to write a CV

(10 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 30-Jun-22 10:29:44

My dearest sister is trying to change her job but of course now adays you have to have a CV, gone are the days when you just filled in an application form. Anyone got ideas about writing one of these. She will be 63 in a few months so all this is new to her and..... to me. Would love to be able to help her.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jun-22 10:43:19

travelsafar
Job sites such as Reed provide templates and tips on how to compile a cv.

Step by step, with examples to copy, and you are under no obligation to Reed.
I found it really quite easy to do, and I am not at all technically minded.

wildswan16 Thu 30-Jun-22 11:04:23

Find an example online. Then keep it short and to the point. Think of the job you're applying for and any experience that would be useful. Even voluntary, unpaid work can provide organisational skills, computer skills etc.

At 63 they won't be bothered about your Olevel results but any relevant education should be included.

Don't waffle. One side A4. Clear font. They don't want to know about your living situation, babysitting or anything else.

sum1607 Mon 03-Oct-22 13:41:34

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

dehigo491 Thu 26-Jan-23 15:27:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

welbeck Thu 26-Jan-23 16:36:52

don't put your age/ date of birth.
avoid precise dates that draw attention to your age.
don't put your street address, just email and mobile.
mention locality if relevant, job in same city.
don't put anything about family.

Jaylou Thu 26-Jan-23 19:46:30

A lot of CV's are read automatically by computers these days (AI), so a few choice keywords that AI will pick up on are a good idea, keywords can include things like Excel, Microsoft, keywords from the job advert etc
If she has no exact skills that match the requirements, transferrable skills are always worth mentioning. Presentation is key, make sure a good clear font is used, nothing fancy, use columns or tabs to space evenly, not just using the spacebar.
Good Luck to your sister

seadragon Mon 20-Feb-23 19:26:12

I still tend to prefer a CV format I have been using for years to anything I have seen on line. The elements I particularly like are the sections on "Achievements' and "Capabilities". So often these elements get lost in a list of jobs and tasks. I always find updating these two elements is a huge confidence boost for me as I get older and a reminder of qualities I had forgotten I had.... They also help with preparation for the interviews where I have been asked to give examples of such attributes. Others' advice about being circumspect about age and keeping ID info to a minimum is also advisable. I was given the CV format by and employment adviser who worked For the Ministry of Defence advising Naval Family members.

M0nica Tue 21-Feb-23 13:31:21

Employers these days are looking fortransferable skills, so do not be afraid to apply for jobs outside your usual range, if you think the skills you have would be ideal in the new job.

You need to think creatively. If you were a teacher in a past life. Controlling and teaching a class of children has given you people skills, working with teams, managing difficult people, dealing with emergencies and being unflappable.

MerylStreep Tue 21-Feb-23 13:37:06

I think travelsafars sister might have got a job by now.
OP dated June 2022.