Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

How to get a job interview?

(36 Posts)
salafo Fri 28-Aug-20 15:55:17

How to get a job interview? How can I prepare in advance?

TwiceAsNice Fri 28-Aug-20 16:03:43

Make sure you tailor your experience to the job description using examples of what you did well in previous jobs

Be confident . Blow your own trumpet in an appropriate way- men do this all the time.

Find out about the culture and history of where you’re applying. Know something about them and their ethos , you may be asked what you think at interview.

Double check everything before you send it.

Arrive in lots of time, if you don’t know where it is do a dummy run another day.

Hold your head up high, give good eye contact and smile. I always offered a
handshake at previous interviews , guess that’s not a good idea at the moment and your interview may be virtual . If it is check out the technology you need and have a trial run.

Deep breath and good luck . You can do it

MissAdventure Fri 28-Aug-20 16:35:36

A good CV is half the battle, I think.
Job sites such as Reed or Indeed have good info and help on how to write one, and you can then alter it slightly depending on the job role you're applying for.

cornergran Fri 28-Aug-20 18:11:11

Get someone who knows you well to look at the cv. It’s surprisingly easy to leave out something important. Good luck.

ruffa Sat 29-Aug-20 12:28:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

vazivi Wed 30-Sep-20 16:47:47

First of all, gather information about the potential employer. Explore the official website of the company: history, strategy, assortment, etc.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 17:11:24

Find out everything about the company, what they are looking for, what the present occupant is moving on to (or why leaving) make sure your skills set matches the criteria, have someone check your application and CV, follow up your initial application with an email, letter or phone call (but bear in mind you may be fobbed off by a receptionist, so persevere.)
Aim to have your own USS (unique selling point) -something that makes you stand out from the crowd!
Good luck.

phoenix Wed 30-Sep-20 17:17:25

Oh heavens, I could write the book on this one!

Salafo are you a new mdmber? If so welcome.

Are you looking for a job following redundancy, looking for a change, new job seeker?

Happy to help, but need more info!

sparklingsilver28 Wed 30-Sep-20 17:27:04

I had to smile. Many years ago, aged 17, my DM came along to my first job interview, in order to interview the company, and ensure it a suitable place for her D to be. And interviewed the Managing Director.

PinkCakes Wed 30-Sep-20 19:32:08

You need a good C.V. to begin with. Ensure that spelling and grammar are correct. Make sure the layout is good. If you haven't got one, you can find C.V. templates online.

Highlight your skills, qualifications and experience.
Good luck.

I've had a lot experience! I'm starting a new job (2nd since August) next week

NotTooOld Wed 30-Sep-20 22:02:31

Don't know if others have said this but your cv should be word processed, not hand written. Sometimes companies ask for a letter of application as well as a cv and sometimes they ask for this to be handwritten. If so, make sure your writing is legible and get someone to check the spelling and grammar. Allow plenty of time for the journey to the interview and dress appropriately. Remember to smile and to make eye contact. You may be asked at the end of an interview if you have any questions, so have a sensible one prepared - preferably not 'when will I get a salary increase?' Best of luck in your job hunting.

NotTooOld Wed 30-Sep-20 22:10:50

Sorry, just noticed your question is 'how to get an interview'. Something else you could try is cold calling companies you would like to work for. Prepare your cv and a hand written covering letter and, if you are brave enough, take it in personally, addressed to the HR Manager. Even better if you can get her/his name from the company website. Dress as if for an interview as, if you are lucky, you may get past reception and as far as the HR department. A friend of mine tried this recently and landed a job the same day.

Aneweye Sat 17-Oct-20 21:25:49

My tip, prepare your basic facts on the company, think about why they’d want you, you have this chance, so relax, enjoy, learn and be yourself. No point pretending to totally different from yourself. They already like you, they think out of all the people, you’ll not only be able to do the job, but will fit in nicely.
If they see your relaxed, but able to stress how much the job means to you, what you can give and what you’ll get out of. Pay don’t mention, who cares, asking about it or discussing it, isn’t going to change what they offer on any contract. And that’s the point you decide if you want the job. It works two ways, you’ve already chosen them a place you’d be happy to work in.
Sorry for gramma etc. I do this when typing on a phone hmm

welbeck Sun 18-Oct-20 00:08:41

i'm a believer in knocking on doors.
nothing to lose.
be prepared with brief CV, one side, bullet points.
it is recommended now that you do not put your address, only phone number and email. maybe specify district where you live if relevant, near to employer.
do not put your age on CV, or any dates that could give it away.
i disagree with a PP who said present CV with a handwritten letter. i think that would be thrown away. people don't want to spend time trying to read handwriting. keep it brief, snappy, and typed.

NotSpaghetti Sun 18-Oct-20 00:17:46

Make sure you change your CV and covering letter to match the job. I don’t mean “make it up” but I do mean emphasise the most relevant experience.

These days employers are looking for ways to “weed people out”. Make sure it’s not easy for them!
Good luck.

Spangler Sun 18-Oct-20 00:48:43

Find out everything about the company.
This is sound, sensible advice.

You need a good C.V. to begin with. Ensure that spelling and grammar are correct.
This piece of advice couldn't be more important.

Salafo, my career was in management, so many interviews, so many applicants, all desperate for work, preferably well paid work. The two pieces of advice above have a lot of bearing on whether or not an applicant reached an interview.

When you research a company, get as much information as you can, don't keep it in your head, written notes in front of you mean that you're telling the truth about your research. Use that information to impress the interviewer.

To get to that interview, your CV must stand out amongst all the others. Try not to start every sentence with the letter "I." Obviously you want to make an impression, but skillful use of language will make you stand out. For example, when you worked at Bloggs & Co, you should start the sentence thus: "At Bloggs & Co my duties were," as opposed to: "I was the **** manger, in charge of, at Bloggs & Co."

The interviewer wants to find the sort of person who will dovetail into the vacancy and into the company. So ask questions, ask all sorts of questions. For example: "It says, on your website, that you do this, that and the other, can you expand on that."

Putting the interviewer on the spot won't go against you, after all, you are not going to stay with a company that bends the rules. It's not easy, and the fallout from Covid is going to make it a tough jobs market, but the applicant that makes getting a job, a job in itself, is the one who will end up employed.

Good luck.

umair123 Thu 19-Nov-20 11:50:46

Spangler

Find out everything about the company.
This is sound, sensible advice.

You need a good C.V. to begin with. Ensure that spelling and grammar are correct.
This piece of advice couldn't be more important.

Salafo, my career was in management, so many interviews, so many applicants, all desperate for work, preferably well paid work. The two pieces of advice above have a lot of bearing on whether or not an applicant reached an interview.

When you research a company, get as much information as you can, don't keep it in your head, written notes in front of you mean that you're telling the truth about your research. Use that information to impress the interviewer.

To get to that interview, your CV must stand out amongst all the others. Try not to start every sentence with the letter "I." Obviously you want to make an impression, but skillful use of language will make you stand out. For example, when you worked at Bloggs & Co, you should start the sentence thus: "At Bloggs & Co my duties were," as opposed to: "I was the **** manger, in charge of, at Bloggs & Co."

The interviewer wants to find the sort of person who will dovetail into the vacancy and into the company. So ask questions, ask all sorts of questions. For example: "It says, on your website, that you do this, that and the other, can you expand on that."

Putting the interviewer on the spot won't go against you, after all, you are not going to stay with a company that bends the rules. It's not easy, and the fallout from Covid is going to make it a tough jobs market, but the applicant that makes getting a job, a job in itself, is the one who will end up employed.

Good luck.

Apologies, just saw your inquiry is 'the way to get a meeting'. Something different you could attempt is cold pitching organizations you might want to work for. Set up your cv and a manually written covering letter and, in the event that you are sufficiently courageous, think about it in literally, routed to the HR Manager. Far better in the event that you can get her/his name from the organization site. Dress as though for a meeting as, in the event that you are fortunate, you may move beyond gathering and to the extent the HR division. A companion of mine attempted this as of late and found an employment the very day. www.ditrc.com/

M0nica Fri 20-Nov-20 09:06:46

Dress appropriately for the interviw. Many interviews nowadays are online, Zoom or something else. Think about how you look on the screen, have a look at the lighting in your room and adjust it with table lights. Information is available online on how to do this, and think about the background.

You can fix the background, it doesn't have to be the room you are in, download a background from the internet.. DH does this. His favourite is a south sea island background, but all his work meetings are with people he knows and they know what he is like, as they have had many personal meetings as well.

amitshah123 Mon 27-Jun-22 11:44:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Daddima Mon 27-Jun-22 15:16:10

Interesting how much of the advice you were given was relating what to do at the interview, rather than how to get an interview, which was what you also asked!
I always looked for a short, relevant, well laid out CV, and an eye catching, hand written, covering letter. Anybody wading through loads of applications just wants to see that you have relevant qualifications and/or experience, so no need to include every certificate since nineteen canteen.
A short covering letter stating briefly why you’re the one for the job should get you an interview, and that’s when you can really shine.
Good luck.

Audi10 Mon 27-Jun-22 15:19:28

Good Cv, good manners, find out plenty about the company you would like to work for, smile, wear the appropriate clothes, be confident, don’t slouch, oh I love interviews

StarDreamer Mon 27-Jun-22 16:46:30

I'm male, fully retired, so not loking for a job myself.

Several posters have mentioned "dress appropriately" but what exactly is the way the candidate should dress?

For men, a suit is almost obligatory. But suit colour? Shirt colour? Tie colour?

For women, what exactly?

Years ago, when out of work, I went to a JobClub and one woman came back after having attended a job interview the day before saying that as she left, a receptionist at the employer's had said to her "You won't get the job, he won't employ a woman unless she's wearing a skirt." I know, I know, it wasn't me who had that attitude.

Also, for those who have interviewed, sifting through CVs, if most are on white paper, how would you react to one on tinted paper? It would stand out. Would that catch your interest in the candidate, or would it seem like you had better not bother with that candidate, or have no effect? Would the specific colour make a difference, pale pink, bright yellow?

Would the font used influence you?

Most might be in Times Roman. Yet Times Roman is narrow setwise as it was designed so as to be able to pack information into newspaper columns. Fonts used for books are often wider setwise.

Would you regard a heading in a display font rather than just a larger size of an ordinary font interesting to you? Or a sign of a 'troublemaker'.

What I am meaning here is that people often used to claim that they were looking for "the outstanding candidate" but in practice they were often "looking for a grey, to fit in".

H1954 Mon 27-Jun-22 16:50:46

Actually applying for the job is a good starting point. Have an up to date CV and tailor your application to the job description. Be careful to not be repetitive with words.......a thesaurus is useful for that.

MawtheMerrier Mon 27-Jun-22 16:59:32

Another old thread resurrected by a spammer.
I hope OP has had some success by now

LOUISA1523 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:01:40

Daddima

Interesting how much of the advice you were given was relating what to do at the interview, rather than how to get an interview, which was what you also asked!
I always looked for a short, relevant, well laid out CV, and an eye catching, hand written, covering letter. Anybody wading through loads of applications just wants to see that you have relevant qualifications and/or experience, so no need to include every certificate since nineteen canteen.
A short covering letter stating briefly why you’re the one for the job should get you an interview, and that’s when you can really shine.
Good luck.

The majority of jobs are now applied for online....hand written letters are no more