Gransnet forums

Webchats

Where was Carrie

(23 Posts)
Tinydancer Fri 06-May-22 12:10:53

Kier and Ed turned up to vote yesterday with their wives and looking very happy. Boris turned up with a dear little dog but no wife. Where is Carrie?

MawtheMerrier Fri 06-May-22 12:14:47

They’re not joined at the hip!

I always think it is so cheesy when politicians and their spouses arrive hand in hand at the polling station. Just another photo opportunity.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-May-22 12:20:29

MawtheMerrier

I always think it is so cheesy when politicians and their spouses arrive hand in hand at the polling station. Just another photo opportunity.

Well you would think so wouldn’t you?

But optics matter, and no one knows that better than the Tory party.

Lucca Fri 06-May-22 12:24:11

Woah ! Why would maw think so.?! I agree actually why the need for the other half every time ?!

Maybe the kids were poorly ?

DaisyAnne Fri 06-May-22 12:27:38

I haven't seen the photos of the dogs at polling stations. Don't they take them for council elections?

midgey Fri 06-May-22 12:28:12

Still on maternity leave?

Aveline Fri 06-May-22 12:41:14

Lots of pics of dogs at polling stations posted on twitter

FannyCornforth Fri 06-May-22 12:52:04

Apparently, it’s his usual way of voting.
There are lots of images of him and Dilyn at the polling station in 2019. (But I was unable to download any)
Perhaps she just didn’t want to be photographed.
There are hundreds of reasons why she wouldn’t choose to be there.
Odd thread really

OakDryad Fri 06-May-22 13:27:55

It seems traditional, hereabouts anyway, that couples walk to the polling station together. You see it in the daytime, mostly older couples and in the evening, couples of working age. So I do think it commentworthy that, yesterday, Johnson did not walk to the polls with his wife. Last year, on 6 May 2021, weeks before they married, they did walk to the polls together. Why wasn’t she there yesterday? When did she vote? Who knows? This could well be Johnson yet again playing the crowds making himself talked about for reasons that distract from the serious issues of the day.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 06-May-22 13:40:38

Perhaps she’s pregnant again and has morning sickness. Perhaps he’s murdered her and her body hasn’t yet been discovered. Perhaps they had a row. Perhaps she hadn’t decided what to wear. Perhaps her hair needed washing. Perhaps she’s left him. Perhaps she had a postal vote.?

volver Fri 06-May-22 13:41:24

GSM grin

Zoejory Fri 06-May-22 13:48:12

OakDryad

It seems traditional, hereabouts anyway, that couples walk to the polling station together. You see it in the daytime, mostly older couples and in the evening, couples of working age. So I do think it commentworthy that, yesterday, Johnson did not walk to the polls with his wife. Last year, on 6 May 2021, weeks before they married, they did walk to the polls together. Why wasn’t she there yesterday? When did she vote? Who knows? This could well be Johnson yet again playing the crowds making himself talked about for reasons that distract from the serious issues of the day.

So Boris didn't take Carrie along to vote with him because he was playing the crowds?

Not quite sure how that works.

There are many reasons, some great ones given by GSM, as to why she didn't go with him.

But I don't think Boris, working the crowds, is one of them.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 06-May-22 14:17:05

For all we know Dilyn had her proxy vote. Generally speaking dogs are much more obedient and better behaved than wives aren’t they - especially activist wives like Carrie. Can’t take the wife out on a lead to keep her under control.

OakDryad Fri 06-May-22 14:38:08

Very true. I was watching Richard Holden batting for Johnson in the early hours of the morning and remembering how, in 2020, Johnson was alleged to have blocked his promotion.

The Prime Minister has said privately that he will not promote Mr Holden because he fears his fiancee Miss Symonds would disapprove ...

From the DM, of course.

MawtheMerrier Fri 06-May-22 14:48:44

Whitewavemark2

MawtheMerrier

Well you would think so wouldn’t you?

But optics matter, and no one knows that better than the Tory party.

WHY wouldI think so?
Because I am a realist? A cynic? Know how PR and the publicity machine work? Know how every photo opportunity is up for exploitation ?

Or perhaps because I have lived long enough to take an awful lot with a giant pinch of salt.

Zoejory Fri 06-May-22 14:51:04

I think it's cheesy as well. For goodness sake, as if we need to take our partners with us to vote. I much prefer to see Dilyn there than Carrie anyway. Lovely dog.

LadyGracie Fri 06-May-22 15:44:20

She was probably at home composing his next speech!

MawtheMerrier Fri 06-May-22 15:45:58

Germanshepherdsmum

Perhaps she’s pregnant again and has morning sickness. Perhaps he’s murdered her and her body hasn’t yet been discovered. Perhaps they had a row. Perhaps she hadn’t decided what to wear. Perhaps her hair needed washing. Perhaps she’s left him. Perhaps she had a postal vote.?

Clearly she was at home washing his socks as any proper wife should.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 06-May-22 16:23:24

Now why didn’t I think of that? Or maybe even darning them.

BlueBelle Fri 06-May-22 16:26:26

I expect she was doing the washing up???????

JaneJudge Fri 06-May-22 16:29:45

He'd sent her to Coventry?

Lucca Fri 06-May-22 22:36:17

Baking him a surprise cake ?

Kalu Fri 06-May-22 22:46:46

At the co-op buying some wine?