Gransnet forums

Webchats

Webchat with Kirsty Blackman, SNP Deputy Westminster Leader, on Wednesday 4 December at 1pm

(6 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Dec-19 10:00:39

Mumsnet is running a webchat with Kirsty Blackman, SNP Deputy Leader at Westminster, and SNP General Election candidate for Aberdeen North and we will be adding questions from gransnetters for her to answer while she is here (Wednesday 4 December at 1pm.)

Kirsty was first elected as a city councillor in 2007 when she was 21. She served 8 years there and has been the SNP MP for Aberdeen North since 2015.

As well as being the Deputy Leader of the SNP at Westminster, Kirsty leads for her group on the economy.

She has two children aged 6 and 8. She’s a Mumsnet user and says that she met some of her best friends through a Mumsnet crochet and knitting group.

Please do leave your questions for her here and we will put them to her on your behalf.

Many thanks

SueDonim Tue 03-Dec-19 18:51:27

What will the SNP do to right the wrongs they have inflicted on Scottish education? However the SNP cares to spin it, the top-class education that Scotland was famed for not so very long ago is now no more than average at best. Today’s PISA rankings show that there has been a small rise in reading scores but yet another decline in maths and science.

I am desperately sad that my grandchildren in Scotland will not benefit from the same excellent education my own children have had.

Jane10 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:27:41

Why have you not costed your spending plans?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 04-Dec-19 13:59:05

Jane10

Why have you not costed your spending plans?

ANSWER FROM KIRSTY BLACKMAN

We haven't done as some of the other parties have done and provided a full breakdown of the costs. That doesn't mean we haven't researched the costs of the proposals though.

The reality is that the SNP won't be in Government in Westminster. We're only standing in Scottish seats so it's impossible for us to win a majority. Our manifesto is a clear indication of our policies. These are what we will be pushing for during any negotiation with a minority Government who are looking for our support. This is also what we will be putting forward at any budget time. If we hold the balance of power, it's important for us to lay out our key asks so that both voters and those seeking our support in Westminster can see where we stand.

You can see the full webchat here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_live_events/3759126-Webchat-with-Kirsty-Blackman-SNP-Deputy-Westminster-Leader-on-Wednesday-4-December-at-1pm

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 04-Dec-19 13:59:47

SueDonim

What will the SNP do to right the wrongs they have inflicted on Scottish education? However the SNP cares to spin it, the top-class education that Scotland was famed for not so very long ago is now no more than average at best. Today’s PISA rankings show that there has been a small rise in reading scores but yet another decline in maths and science.

I am desperately sad that my grandchildren in Scotland will not benefit from the same excellent education my own children have had.

ANSWER

I think it's best if I do something quite general as there are a few questions on this and it's not my area of expertise - for good reason, this is devolved to the Scottish parliament and they are the ones making the decisions on education, rather than MPs at Westminster.

You won't see a huge amount about education in our manifesto for this election. This is because of education being devolved.

You can find our most recent Holyrood programme for Government here: www.gov.scot/publications/protecting-scotlands-future-governments-programme-scotland-2019-20/pages/7/?fbclid=IwAR3hapyirNblWKpVP7wCIrUobyAgt-Z6fkG0ERWpwKpxTj9J-Op-MSFduwM

It has a lot about how we are improving education. Some of the reforms and initiatives I've seen working on the ground though are free school meals - children can't learn well if they're hungry. The Scottish Attainment Challenge funding and PEF (pupil equity funding) that are going to headteachers and SMTs within schools. I think that there has been a good recognition by our Scottish Government that the attainment gap needs to close. The child payment that will be starting next year will also help - again, if children can't access basic necessities they won't be able to learn well.

There is always more to do and we will always work to improve the system and to ensure that all children from all backgrounds reach their potential.

Jane10 Wed 04-Dec-19 16:03:26

Not very convincing responses to either question.