Gransnet forums

Webchats

CLOSED:EU referendum Q&A with Labour MP Gisela Stuart and Lib Dem Baroness Sal Brinton

(69 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 03-Jun-16 17:52:10

There are plenty of discussions on Gransnet about the upcoming referendum (and of course we have the outcome of our own survey) so we thought gransnetters might like to ask questions directly to members of the Leave and Remain campaigns.

Labour MP Gisela Stuart (Leave) and Lib Dem Party President Baroness Sal Brinton (Remain) have kindly agreed to take your questions. We're going to be running this thread till Thurs 9th 10am and then we'll send your questions on to them to be answered.

We'd prefer to give each of them the opportunity to answer the same questions so if you can make it a question that allows both to answer that would be great.
However, if this isn't possible and your question is for one specifically, please make that clear.

Jane10 Sat 04-Jun-16 10:11:26

Are all the financial institutions which strongly recommend remaining in the EU wrong?

rosesarered Sat 04-Jun-16 20:24:25

How long will it take to untangle ourselves from the EU if the Vote is to leave?

durhamjen Sat 04-Jun-16 23:40:57

What will happen to the NHS?

italiangirl Sun 05-Jun-16 05:36:38

I saw a post on Facebook about 4European counties who did not enter the European union or left who's Gdp is very healthy.Is the issue for us in the length of time that we have become entwined.
What happens when The Frenck economy falters under the Militancy of the Farmers .

Gracesgran Sun 05-Jun-16 11:48:14

How can I find out if we have a net benefit in my region of net loss from the EU?

durhamjen Sun 05-Jun-16 18:02:43

What will happen to EU nationals living in this country if we vote to leave?

GandTea Sun 05-Jun-16 18:27:48

Nothing seems to be the most likely action. If we deported them, it would prompt a tit for tat reaction.

JessM Sun 05-Jun-16 18:54:49

Virtually every authority in economics, both individuals and organisations, agree that we will have at very least a brief recession if we vote to leave. Given that our economy is currently not on good form, with the national debt running at over £1.6 trillion (1.6 with 11 zeros) and growing rapidly because we can't afford to reduce it despite the austerity... And given there would be a period of economic uncertainty that would start on June 24th and carry on for the 2 years it would take for us to actually leave the EU... How long do you think this recession might last? Please give a range - between x years and y years.

Gracesgran Sun 05-Jun-16 20:00:59

Surely whatever money we don't send to the EU (and exaggeration of this doesn't impress me) will be needed to support our own increased "state" so we can undertake the things that have been done by the whole of the EU currently. We would of course need or decide not to need to continue supporting farmers, poorer areas, etc., and set up administration to take this over.

How can the "leave" group suggest that specific amounts could be spent here or there when our own government (elected by us) will make that choice or are they thinking of standing as "leavers" in the next election so they can take over the spending choices and could they then agree on those?

Tegan Sun 05-Jun-16 20:28:48

Can anyone supply a figure re how much we pay into the EU and how much we get back? I keep hearing mentions of how much we pay in but don't hear what we get in return [which, I would imagine, more than balances that figure out]. Also, most of my family work in engineering and their employers have advised vote to stay in. As manufacturing in this country seems to be constantly reducing, what will happen if we leave? Which manufacturing industries will be better off? And what of this talk about our energy bills being much less if we leave. Is this a fact or just supposition?

GandTea Sun 05-Jun-16 21:19:03

Tegran, this site explains it a clearly as any.

Briefly, we pay £350/week, but get back about half of this in rebate, payment to farmers, investment in poorer areas etc.

What is not clear is the amount the EU is worth to our businesses in direct exports, technology and other EU related income.

So the maximum it costs before those hidden benefits is about £2 million a day, which is a tiny part of our overall daily expenditure.

Read the article and make up your own mind.

GandTea Sun 05-Jun-16 21:19:39

oops forgot the link
blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-britain-sending-350m-week-brussels/21733

Tegan Sun 05-Jun-16 21:42:08

Thanks GandTea

durhamjen Sun 05-Jun-16 21:48:31

fullfact.org/europe/vote-leave-facts-leaflet-membership-fee/
In more detail.

Do either of you ( Gisela and Sal, I mean) use www.fullfact.org to check any of your facts before you tell people what you think? Why or why not?

varian Mon 06-Jun-16 08:40:59

Most of our national newspapers are controlled by right wing billionaires who are campaigning on the Leave side. We saw at the last election how much influence they have when Rupert Murdoch told the readers of The Sun to vote Tory and the readers of The Scottish Sun to vote SNP - and they did.

A referendum survey in The Telegraph showed that millions of readers of The Sun, Daily Mail and Express intend to vote Leave and only a tiny minority who read these papers want to Remain. What can be done to counter this bias?

JessM Mon 06-Jun-16 08:52:52

Tegan re the energy bills - we are currently not able to charge zero VAT on energy bills due to EEC regs. We pay a reduced rate of VAT instead. The treasury would not be able to afford to give up this tax - we are still running a deficit - in other words the treasury has less money coming in tax than it needs to pay out to pay for public services and cover the debt interest. That is why our national debt is rising steadily and has done since 2010.
I think the way forward on energy bills is to improve the energy efficiency of houses so that the amount of energy used reduces. This is also better for the environment than making fossils fuels cheaper to burn.

emtoda Mon 06-Jun-16 10:44:08

The emphasis placed on the economy by the remain side's ideas of how much it will suffer if we leave is pointless when no-one can be certain how our economy will be affected by remaining or leaving. It will depend on how well or badly it is managed by the government in power and events in the outside world as a whole.
What is more certain and worrying is the immigration problem over which we have little control when it is in the hands of 27 other countries, each of which is affected differently.
Some are already taking action against the threat regardless of EU laws and it is only by leaving the EU can we ensure we can legally take our own measures and pay our own costs.
The final and perhaps the most important area which the remain group does not seem to care about is sovereignty, to be able to make our own decisions rather share them with 27 other countries.

patsykelly Mon 06-Jun-16 10:58:28

What are your 3 most persuasive arguments for staying/leaving?These need to be supported with facts please.

patsykelly Mon 06-Jun-16 10:58:29

What are your 3 most persuasive arguments for staying/leaving?These need to be supported with facts please.

grandMattie Mon 06-Jun-16 12:37:09

I worry that we shall be "punished" regardless if we stay or leave.
If we vote to stay, we'll be punished as an example to the other states for the gall of having even considered leaving.
If the vote is to leave, we'll be punished to show the other states that the EU has teeth and they can't follow suit...
Heads the EU wins, tails, we lose...

durhamjen Mon 06-Jun-16 13:05:07

I hope they only answer one of yours, patsykelly.

marbles Mon 06-Jun-16 13:59:32

I still feel I don't have enough information to persuade me either way. Could you both please sum up in one sentence why I should vote for your campaign (NB I realise that a) it might be a long sentence and b) that you can't crystalise everything in the campaign into such a short space but I would like a headline nonetheless)