Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Confessions of Frannie Langton

(14 Posts)
Littleannie Fri 09-Dec-22 14:51:24

Anybody else watching this on ITVX (the new ITV Hub app which started yesterday)?
It's a costume drama, and I am enjoying it.
They have some new programmes coming up in the next few weeks, which are not going to be shown on terrestrial ITV until next year.
They have also merged with Britbox, another of my favourite streaming services. There are adverts, but for £5.99 a month you can have the premium service which is advert free, and includes all the Britbox catalogue.
This is a good offer, as Britbox on its own costs that much.

Boz Fri 09-Dec-22 15:32:38

We are watching "A Spy Among Friends". Very good.

Who is Frannie Langton.

Apple have a freebie offer letting us watch "Slow Horses" with the excellent Gary Oldman.

Littleannie Fri 09-Dec-22 16:38:39

It's based on a book by Sarah Collins, which won the Costa Book Award a couple of years ago, Boz.
Spy Among Friends is next on my list!
I will have a look at Apple.

grannydarkhair Fri 09-Dec-22 17:36:49

Boz There’s lots of good stuff to watch on Apple TV. My favourites include Slow Horses, Ted Lasso, Bad Sisters, See, Severance, Black Bird (has the creepiest character I’ve seen in years and is based on a true story), For All Mankind, Tehran. Some of these are complete, some still have seasons to run.

Boz Fri 09-Dec-22 18:15:15

grannydarkhair

Boz There’s lots of good stuff to watch on Apple TV. My favourites include Slow Horses, Ted Lasso, Bad Sisters, See, Severance, Black Bird (has the creepiest character I’ve seen in years and is based on a true story), For All Mankind, Tehran. Some of these are complete, some still have seasons to run.

Great. Thanks. DH bought a new laptop this week and got a 6 month Apple Sub.. I think you can get a month's free trial anywhere. Worth it for Slow Horses.

ShazzaKanazza Fri 09-Dec-22 18:17:39

My brother was an extra on this so I need to watch it to see if I can spot him.

Boz Fri 09-Dec-22 18:26:17

Ooh How exciting!

Abitbarmy Sat 10-Dec-22 09:00:39

Thanks for the recommendation Littleannie. I thought I’d give it a watch but have now discovered I can no longer access the ITV hub on our Samsung Tv! Since updating to the ITV x thing older models won’t be able to get it I found out from Google. So annoying.

Littleannie Sat 10-Dec-22 09:14:31

How very annoying Abitbarmy! Our main TV will get it but our small TV in the bedroom won't. I have a little Chromecast thing given to us by Currys when we bought something, and I found that I can use that to cast ITVX from my tablet to that TV if I want to.
Wouldn't you think they would have thought about older TVs when they were planning this? So unfair.

Sparklefizz Sat 10-Dec-22 09:57:34

Boz We are watching "A Spy Among Friends". Very good.

I'm watching that too and really enjoying it. A very good cast.

Abitbarmy Sat 10-Dec-22 10:50:13

Littleannie I can watch it on my iPad luckily but not comfortably with my OH. He has a Samsung tablet so maybe we should look at getting a Chromecast thing, it’ll be cheaper than a new Tv!

Chestnut Sat 10-Dec-22 10:58:29

Abitbarmy

Thanks for the recommendation Littleannie. I thought I’d give it a watch but have now discovered I can no longer access the ITV hub on our Samsung Tv! Since updating to the ITV x thing older models won’t be able to get it I found out from Google. So annoying.

They are migrating it or something. Meanwhile, you can watch ITV Hub on a computer or laptop or better still if you have an Amazon Fire Stick which is how I see it.

PS: I bought my Amazon Fire Stick a year ago when it cost £24.99 and now it costs £49.99 so has doubled in price. Horrendous.

Littleannie Sat 10-Dec-22 12:11:22

Amazon have a Chromecast device for £24.

Littleannie Sat 10-Dec-22 12:30:06

And Currys have them for £25, if you want advice re compatability before buying.