Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bob Ross I no longer on BBC4. Or iplayer…

(12 Posts)
MayBee70 Sat 03-Dec-22 13:43:57

I thought I’d unwind last night by watching/listening to Bob but, shock horror he’d gone. No longer on iplayer. Or utube. Can’t buy his DVD’s because they’re American and won’t play on U.K. recorders. I feel bereft. How can the BBC do this to me? I need a quick fix of The Joy of Painting every now again but they’ve made me go cold turkey….shock sad

Septimia Sat 03-Dec-22 14:28:43

You could usually predict what he would put in the picture! But they were very effective and we enjoyed watching him as it was so relaxing. I hope the programmes will get another showing.

henetha Sat 03-Dec-22 14:30:14

I've been wondering why his lovely painting programmes have disappeared. Hopefully they might show another series sometime.

minesaprosecco Sat 03-Dec-22 14:33:15

You can still find him on youtube Maybee

MerylStreep Sat 03-Dec-22 14:34:34

I just checked and he’s still on YouTube.

MayBee70 Sat 03-Dec-22 15:02:58

I’ll check utube again. But late last night when I looked on iplayer I checked out utube and couldn’t find anything. The best thing about iplayer was that I could put on an older one and when I nodded off it would just continue to play the next programme.

fairfraise Sat 03-Dec-22 15:28:51

He's often on Talking Pictures, free view channel.

MayBee70 Mon 19-Dec-22 01:26:51

He’s back on BBC4 in January! I’m so happy.

silverlining48 Mon 19-Dec-22 08:54:50

I did watch but his pictures were always similar. Quite relaxing though .
He must have had a huge backlog to repeat, as he died some while ago.

MayBee70 Mon 19-Dec-22 17:58:29

I wasn’t interested in the paintings: they are all much of a sameness. It’s just that when I first started watching it I never got beyond 10/15 minutes before falling asleep. When I read up on him it said that at the time people had realised the way he spoke to people made them very relaxed. I never got to see the finished painting.From the start of the pandemic I struggled to get to sleep if I wasn’t listening to something. The great thing about Bob on iplayer is that when one episode ends it goes straight onto the next and I sleep right through them. There are other things that I listen to that help but if they don’t work I can guarantee that Bob will get me off to sleep.

NanKate Mon 19-Dec-22 19:02:31

MayBee70 I have the App CALM which has masses of sleep stories and 3 by Bob Ross. I listen to one every night on my iPhone through earphones and drift off to sleep easily. It switches it self off at the end of the story. Eric Braa has another soporific voice and Anna Acton. I’ve forgotten how much the annual fee is but it’s definitely worth it imo. Hope this helps.

MayBee70 Mon 19-Dec-22 19:22:46

Thanks. I’ll check that out. I’ve never had this problem before. The dog always wakes me up early and I listen to Paul McKennas Happy Trance on my iPad to get straight back to sleep. I listened to a ZOE podcast about sleep yesterday which was very informative.