Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Traitors - new reality show on BBC1

(268 Posts)
Chestnut Mon 28-Nov-22 14:01:06

We have a new reality show starting on BBC1 Tues night called The Traitors which looks quite interesting. I will definitely give it a try. I notice they are starting it just as I'm a Celeb..... has ended. 😉
The Traitors on BBC1

tanith Wed 30-Nov-22 07:36:55

Likewise Catterygirl with her too long fringe and the shininess (how???) and the awful black eyes it just looks so OTT and dated, less is more!}. She is very good in her role though.

VB000 Wed 30-Nov-22 09:47:52

I love Claudia - she is good at ad-libbing and good with people, so with her unique style, I think she is perfect for this role! It was quite late for me (weekday) but have recorded the first one, having managed to stay awake for the first half an hour (intriguing start!!) The format is an interesting concept.

Also I agree that it shouldn't all be on I-Player until the end!

Chestnut Wed 30-Nov-22 09:57:55

You may not like Claudia but she is perfect here as Morticia Addams! I can't see anyone better suited.

Doodledog Wed 30-Nov-22 10:02:34

Nobody has to watch it on iPlayer just because it is there, though. I would like to see it all up there now. I'm not keen on weekly episodes of anything, as I can't be sure I'll be able to see things at fixed times. I think people are used to on-demand viewing as we don't live our lives to a timetable.

I agree that Claudia is good in this role. for those who don't like her, she's sort of in the background even though she is the link between the characters - it's not 'her show' if you see what I mean. It's a clever format. I tend to take against contestants who are willing to get one over on others if they do so off their own bat, but in this case the Traitors were selected, so it's very much part of the game, and I like them all. It's interesting how when someone has the finger pointed at them as a possible Traitor the others turn against them - I think that says a lot about how human psychology works.

choughdancer Wed 30-Nov-22 10:27:57

I really enjoyed it! I haven't watched any 'reality' TV for years, but this appealed to me, partly because I like CW and her sense of humour, but also the settings; castle and steam train. The first task was spectacular; there must have been Health and Safety considerations around it, but it was cleverly filmed so that these did not show.

Chestnut Wed 30-Nov-22 10:36:58

I thought the first challenge was going to be the Wicker Man challenge! I thought they had to climb inside the deer but then realised there was fire involved, so they probably weren't meant to be a human sacrifice.

Aveline Wed 30-Nov-22 16:07:09

Just caught up with this and I'm enjoying it. They're all very overexcited aren't they?!
Claudia is playing it very cool. Not like her usual self at all.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:12:40

I thought it was a game show?

I usually avoid them like mad - but this got a good write up so gave it a go.

Hooked!

Aveline Wed 30-Nov-22 16:21:54

I suppose it is a game show if sorts. It feels like a sort of mixture of the Apprentice, Big Brother and I'm a Celebrity but in a nice location. Very over dramatised but so what. It's diverting.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:27:34

Yes the drama etc has nothing to do with reality, it is gaming for money, imo.

But tbh I never watch reality shows nor gaming as a rule. So nothing to base it on.

Quite good fun though. They are a bit snowflakey I think, and very herd like.

I have been disappointed with the older person, I had hoped that she would think more critically, but she just goes along with the rest.

Doodledog Wed 30-Nov-22 17:29:00

That may be tactical though. At this stage it's better not to stand out, as that would make her more vulnerable to being picked off.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Nov-22 17:40:51

Doodledog

That may be tactical though. At this stage it's better not to stand out, as that would make her more vulnerable to being picked off.

True.

Chestnut Wed 30-Nov-22 23:45:02

Missed it tonight so will have to catch up tomorrow. That might mean I'm one episode behind which is not good.

Still feeling so sorry for the first two victims. That just seemed so unfair. I don't think they will be CW fans from now on, the way she so ruthlessly eliminated them! 🧛‍♀️

tanith Thu 01-Dec-22 07:18:29

Not sure if I’m going to bother anymore all the hysterical screaming and dashing about was like a load of toddlers out of control. They were all like sheep when at the round table naming Nicky rather than who they previously named as traitor.

Gingster Thu 01-Dec-22 07:27:59

I’m enjoying it and like the unusual theme. Something a bit different. Also like CW ‘s humour . Looking forward to tonight’s episode.

VB000 Thu 01-Dec-22 09:35:40

All caught up now and really looking forward to the next episode...

Parsley3 Thu 01-Dec-22 15:36:42

Well I did not like the sound of this at all, but this afternoon I was crafting and wanted something mindless to watch so I gave it a go. I am hooked and so far have binge watched three episodes. It is fascinating to listen to the contestants logic in trying to identify the traitors.

Chestnut Thu 01-Dec-22 23:54:54

tanith

Not sure if I’m going to bother anymore all the hysterical screaming and dashing about was like a load of toddlers out of control. They were all like sheep when at the round table naming Nicky rather than who they previously named as traitor.

Absolutely! The screaming like toddlers was so ridiculous, especially as some of them were older. I guess it's herd mentality. People feel they have to behave like everyone else, which is something I don't do. So I wouldn't be very good as a participant.

Doodledog Fri 02-Dec-22 00:37:03

Oh, I would be hopeless grin. What you see is what you get with me. My poker face perfectly reflects my hand and my opinion of it.

I find that these things get better as the numbers decrease and you get to know the characters more.

BlueBelle Fri 02-Dec-22 05:15:59

I m enjoying it and it s different (thankfully)
Very interesting how the group mentality takes over once one person is identified as a possibility and the sheep come to the fore
Don’t remember all the names but I don’t like the gay bloke at all

tanith Fri 02-Dec-22 07:17:47

I did watch last night and it was better, John surprised me with his angry face/voice while accusing Wilf. I liked the twist of a trial rather than a murder I think they’ll have to nominate Wilf for the trial or it will be too obvious that he is actually a traitor. I did hope the older lady (can’t remember her name) would stand out a bit more than she has.

Doodledog Fri 02-Dec-22 08:40:40

Don’t remember all the names but I don’t like the gay bloke at all
The younger one or the older one? I don't know names yet either, but the older one seems like hard work.

I don't know what to think about the older woman. She's going to have a harder time of it as the young ones will bond with one another, and some of them are rather hardline about being held back by less able people. The older gay bloke was furious about that. I could see his point, but I think it's something they are going to feel even though many would be too polite to say so. It might be their undoing though - age doesn't necessarily equate to wisdom, but experience can count for a lot.

I wish they would give them sweatshirts with their names on, so I could get to know who's who.

lixy Fri 02-Dec-22 09:43:27

I like Claudia W very much and enjoy her Saturday radio show too.
This show is fun, though I was very sorry for the first two who had to leave; that was ruthless. I'm surprised by how few names are discussed during the round table discussions, but maybe that's editing.
Looking forward to next week's three episodes - Tues, Weds and Thurs I think.
I think/hope Wilf will be gone by the end of the week.

Doodledog Fri 02-Dec-22 09:47:57

I rather like Wilf. He seems very young for 28, but comes across as a decent chap.

Aveline Fri 02-Dec-22 10:23:21

I wonder how much it all messes with their minds. They all seem so emotional. Aaron's panic attack and tears would seem to underline that.
Can't wait for next instalment!