Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Titfield Thunderbolt

(16 Posts)
Juliet27 Mon 28-Nov-22 09:33:02

Did anyone watch this yesterday afternoon. It was a 1953 comedy and must have been one of the earliest films Sid James was in. It was fascinating to see the clothes - loved the dress styles - and everyone looked so slim but I guess rationing had only just ended.

Witzend Mon 28-Nov-22 09:36:02

Dh did, I only saw bits, busy with other stuff. He thoroughly enjoyed it.,

Jaylou Mon 28-Nov-22 09:40:04

I didn't see that film but I am watching an awful lot of old films and shows on the channel Talkingpictures (445 on VirginMedia), they are before my time, but like you I really enjoy the dresses, street scenes etc. I have seen Sid James (he is often billed as Sidney) in quite a few recently, way before his laugh became his characteristic.
It is good to see familiar faces in early roles.

Shinamae Mon 28-Nov-22 09:40:05

We had it on in my care home so I saw it sporadically…🤓 it was quite fascinating

BigBertha1 Mon 28-Nov-22 09:40:28

I love that film - we have recorded it as we were out. We also recorded School for Scoundrels which we watched when we came home. terry Thomas always deliciously devilish.

Lathyrus Mon 28-Nov-22 09:55:23

It was on at our local cinema a few years ago along with a documentary about how they made it.

The runaway train is actually a dressed up lorry😬

Redhead56 Mon 28-Nov-22 09:55:46

I watched School for scoundrels while decorating the Christmas tree yesterday. We both watched Titfield Thunderbolt last night for about the tenth time it’s a film we love like Whiskey Galore and Mr Tom.
Old fashioned fun to watch films a delight and all good actors.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Mon 28-Nov-22 10:02:50

I didn't see it yesterday but I have seen it a couple of times in the past.

Sid James had been playing small parts in hack films since 1947, one or two of them even quite competently made. In 1948 he played a barman (he often played barmen) in No Orchids For Miss Blandish, which often appears in lists of Worst Films Ever Made. That was hardly Sid's fault though, and he redeemed himself by being in The Lavender Hill Mob, two years before Titfield in 1951, which is one of the Ealing Studios classics.

Septimia Mon 28-Nov-22 11:42:36

Seen it a few times. Love all the Ealing Comedies but I think my favourite (just) is a film called "Brandy for the Parson".

25Avalon Mon 28-Nov-22 11:55:55

You can still walk parts of the original now disused track at Limpley Stoke near Bath.

MrsKen33 Mon 28-Nov-22 12:03:54

Would have loved to, but it wasn’t on in Wales

midgey Mon 28-Nov-22 12:22:36

Last time I saw that film was when I was at school!

Oreo Mon 28-Nov-22 12:39:44

It was great, loved it, saw it years ago but had forgotten it.
Filmed at Limpley Stoke near Bath on a disused line.
Love all those old films.

luluaugust Mon 28-Nov-22 15:49:27

Yes both watched it, DH giving me a rundown of the rolling stock etc grin

Kate1949 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:03:02

We have it and a lot of other old British films on DVD. They gave them away with a newspaper a few years ago.

IrishDancing Wed 30-Nov-22 22:59:19

Have seen it a few times - one of DH’s favourite films so I won’t burst his bubble by telling him it was a dressed up lorry Lathyrus! grin