Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Shetland- Perez’s Replacement.

(37 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 25-Nov-22 17:41:03

Have just read that Ashley Jensen is to star in next year’s ‘Shetland’ series.

Playing D.I. Ruth Calder, she will be Jimmy Perez’s replacement, a native Shetlander returning after 20 years in the Met.

Will be working alongside Tosh and the others.

Bye bye Jimmy.

sad

IrishDancing Wed 30-Nov-22 23:08:24

Liked Dougie (now known as Douglas) Henshall as Perez but don’t find him in the least bit attractive especially in RL. I wonder what Ann Cleaves thinks of a female lead. I have a friend in Shetland, keep trying to spot him in Lerwick as an extra but no luck. wink

eazybee Sat 26-Nov-22 12:51:37

I loved the books Lark Rise to Candleford and Still Glides the Stream, but the television series was a travesty.

AreWeThereYet Sat 26-Nov-22 12:42:26

Apart from the first two series 'Shetland' has only ever been very loosely based on the books anyway - series three was even an original story, not written by Ann Cleaves (but approved by her). There are no more Shetland books to cover so all the stories will be original in future so the writers can take the story where they want to.

Callistemon21 Sat 26-Nov-22 11:03:24

MrsKen33

Gosh! How lovely Callistemon. Loved that book and still have a copy.

I remember watching the series, not realising the connections, and my friend said it was like watching paint dry 😁
Then when I did some genealogy research and realised, I bought the book.

Namsnanny Sat 26-Nov-22 11:02:02

I like her. She was in something with Ricky Gervais wasnt she?
I think I'd prefer DH in the role though. I shall reserve judgement.
I hope the series doesnt go the way of Dr Who.

Witzend Sat 26-Nov-22 10:55:40

It feels a bit tediously PC that they evidently now feel they have to make the detective a woman, which does rather go against the grain for those of us who’ve enjoyed both the books and the Tv series. In a series written for TV perhaps it wouldn’t bother me. Or not so much.

Still, I suppose it’s a change from the cliched set-up in several crime series - where Clever Male Detective is continually frustrated by Female Boss, who orders him to stop investigating Evidently Dodgy Person, because he’s a very rich VIP who plays golf with the Chief Superintendent - or some such.

MrsKen33 Sat 26-Nov-22 10:41:16

Gosh! How lovely Callistemon. Loved that book and still have a copy.

Callistemon21 Sat 26-Nov-22 09:40:52

MrsKen33

Exactly Floradora . It is not Anne Cleaves. As with all the other add on programmes such as ‘Call the Midwife’ and ‘Lark Rise to Candleford* something is definitely missing when they leave the original books behind .

Lark Rise to Candleford Loosely based on the books by Flora Thompson which were semi-autobiographical.
Some of the characters were my ancestors!

Callistemon21 Sat 26-Nov-22 09:37:18

Calendargirl

Yes, Tosh is returning, accompanied by her permanent ‘puzzled/startled’ look I assume.

Not sure how it will work with two female leads.

Oh yes, she has one expression - surely she never used to be that wooden?

I blame the absolute drip of a boyfriend.

Marydoll Sat 26-Nov-22 08:48:55

I intend to watch it and give Ashley a chance.
Who knows, she may be good in the role.
For me, the storyline is more important, than who plays the lead.

Sparklefizz Sat 26-Nov-22 08:29:23

I know Shetland is a popular place but I am always saying to DH ‘They don’t have any trees’. I must admit I find it bleak.

Shetland is like Iceland NanKate - our Icelandic guide made us laugh by pointing out what we would call a small shrub as the closest they had to a tree.

I am not a fan of Douglas Henshall - and anyway, Perez was supposed to be dark like his Spanish name.

Calendargirl Sat 26-Nov-22 07:32:02

John Simm is not my idea of Roy Grace, neither is the actress who plays his wife Cleo. In the books she has long blonde hair and is the most beautiful woman Grace has ever seen.

Zoe Tapper has dark hair, not that long and although attractive …

If I were a famous author, I would want my tv characters to somehow resemble how they have been described in my books.

Sara1954 Sat 26-Nov-22 07:26:42

As so often in a TV adaptation, the main character is absolutely nothing like the author had described. I really don’t know why they do that. Same with DI Banks.
I got used to Douglas Henshaw, but a woman is a step too far, especially that woman.

Calendargirl Sat 26-Nov-22 07:21:20

Yes, Tosh is returning, accompanied by her permanent ‘puzzled/startled’ look I assume.

Not sure how it will work with two female leads.

grandMattie Sat 26-Nov-22 06:07:26

I was always uncomfortable with Douglas Henshall as Perez. In the books, he is small and dark - very Iberian (or Pictish). Doesn’t stop me from lusting after Douglas though…. 😂

NanKate Sat 26-Nov-22 05:36:37

PaddyAnn how strange because I was always drawn to DH as his eyes were just like my dear Dad’s when he was in his middle years.

I’ve never heard of Ashley Jensen I shall have to look her up.

I know Shetland is a popular place but I am always saying to DH ‘They don’t have any trees’. I must admit I find it bleak.

MrsKen33 Sat 26-Nov-22 04:09:04

Exactly Floradora . It is not Anne Cleaves. As with all the other add on programmes such as ‘Call the Midwife’ and ‘Lark Rise to Candleford* something is definitely missing when they leave the original books behind .

LadyGracie Fri 25-Nov-22 23:16:04

Is Tosh coming back, I thought she'd finished.
I can't imagine a woman instead of Perez.
I will watch it.

Witzend Fri 25-Nov-22 23:04:24

Callistemon21

Was she the actress who played Agatha Raisin?
I didn't watch the TV series so can't comment except to say she didn't look anything like how I imagined Agatha Raisin from the books.

Same here! I loved the books, for an easy, funny read, but just couldn’t watch it.

paddyann54 Fri 25-Nov-22 22:50:25

I love Dougie Henshall,he has the exact same eyes as my late dad .

Callistemon21 Fri 25-Nov-22 22:43:36

Was she the actress who played Agatha Raisin?
I didn't watch the TV series so can't comment except to say she didn't look anything like how I imagined Agatha Raisin from the books.

Sara1954 Fri 25-Nov-22 22:38:18

Not a fan of Ashley Jensen I’m afraid, so I won’t be watching.

Floradora9 Fri 25-Nov-22 21:31:56

Callistemon21

I thought it was where it was set that gave rise to the title?

It will not be Sheland as Ann Cleaves described it with no Perez . In the early episodes based on the actual books I like the life story of Perez , his wife and daughter and her real father until his wife died of course.

AreWeThereYet Fri 25-Nov-22 20:15:54

Callistemon21

Me too. And all the other characters are still there as far as I know.

Callistemon21 Fri 25-Nov-22 19:59:51