Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Inside Aldi

(24 Posts)
Doodledog Sun 20-Nov-22 20:40:57

Is anyone watching Inside Aldi on Ch5?

It's really interesting. They are currently looking at Christmas, comparing Fortnum and Mason hampers with Aldi ones, and the Christmas ads.

Doodledog Sun 20-Nov-22 21:30:03

I guess that's a no grin.

The best bit was a comparison between Aldi and F&M hampers, and their respective Christmas puddings. The hampers are the same price, but Aldi's is much bigger and has significantly more products in it. the F&M pudding was £37 or so (!!!) and Aldi's £3.99, and all the panel much preferred the Aldi one.

Ziplok Sun 20-Nov-22 21:35:51

We switched it on approx half way through. Found it very interesting. The Aldi hamper was amazing, wasn’t it? The Xmas pud tasting was interesting, too. I think a visit to Aldi is long overdue.

Doodledog Sun 20-Nov-22 21:40:34

Yes, I said that to Mr Dog. the trouble is that I can't go without numerous Moser Roth chocolate bars falling into my trolley, and they fall into my mouth very soon afterwards grin.

Calendargirl Sun 20-Nov-22 21:41:51

Just watched part of it on 1 hour+.

The hamper looked great.

Theexwife Sun 20-Nov-22 22:10:45

A relative has sent me an F&M hamper for the last three Christmases. Beautifully presented, and I do like the baskets, however, the contents are such a disappointment.

Once you take the biscuits out of the lovely tin they are just mediocre biscuits, far better ones available in most supermarkets. The chutneys, preserves, cakes, chocolates and teas are nothing special either.

I don't know how to tell her without coming across as ungrateful. I am quite a budget shopper so she thinks it is a real treat for me to have what is thought to be an indulgent hamper.

Doodledog Sun 20-Nov-22 22:19:30

I've never had a F&M hamper, but the one on the programme had 3 tiny tins of looseleaf tea, some biscuits, a gingerbread man and two other items that I forget (crackers? fudge?), whilst the Aldi one had 14 things, including 2 bottles of wine. I don't drink, but Mr D says that Aldi wine is more than acceptable. the products were all from their luxury range and looked very good, and the basket was lovely too.

The nearest Aldi to me is a drive away, and I prefer to order groceries online for delivery, but if/when Aldi starts to deliver to my area I will definitely give them a try. As it is, I go maybe once a month to replenish the reed diffuser in the hallway. They do Jo Malone dupes for under a fiver, and the real ones are ££££.

grannydarkhair Sun 20-Nov-22 22:45:27

Just went to the Aldi website to have a look at these hampers, they have a few different ones and they are all SOLD OUT! Just as well I only wanted a look and not to actually buy one 😁

crazyH Sun 20-Nov-22 23:02:04

Yes -interesting programme - I visit Aldi at least once a week and make a beeline for the middle aisle 😂

tanith Sun 20-Nov-22 23:10:03

My son sends me F&M hampers, everything is so beautifully presented the tins are just beautiful and the baskets very useful. I do enjoy the contents but they are very expensive for what’s in them as nice as they are.

Calendargirl Mon 21-Nov-22 07:11:11

Theexwife

Our DD in Australia sent us M&S hampers for a couple of Christmas’s, and a F&M one for DH’s 70th birthday.

They were lovely, but I asked her not to send any more. It grieved me that she was spending hard earned money on a lot of repeat packaging, (several cool bags and boxes, useful but you only need so many) and as the programme showed, fancy tins and jars, which at the end of the day contained tea and chutneys, nice but no better than cheaper versions.

Plus cheeses and perishables that needed eating quite quickly.

If I sound ungrateful, I don’t mean to be. But we honestly don’t need her to do it. We know she loves us without expensive gifts.

TerriBull Mon 21-Nov-22 07:40:19

Sounds interesting programme, I'll watch it on Catch Up. Do agree about Fortnums biscuits, a couple of Chrismases ago got given a few items out of a Fortnum's hamper son's girlfriend received from a client at her workplace. I think many of their hampers are purchaed in the corporate world, they are ridiculously expensive .Their biscuis, albeit in a nice tin were nothing special!

nanna8 Mon 21-Nov-22 07:43:49

Aldi is our nearest grocery store and I am a big fan. A lot of the men like it on Aldi days, Wednesdays and Saturdays, when they sell all the blokes tools etc. They actually queue up outside, more than the females ever do !Our particular Aldi is large and modern and no different from the normal grocery stores but we went in one when we are in Budapest and couldn’t get out fast enough. Very,very basic there.

Beechnut Mon 21-Nov-22 07:51:07

Theexwife

A relative has sent me an F&M hamper for the last three Christmases. Beautifully presented, and I do like the baskets, however, the contents are such a disappointment.

Once you take the biscuits out of the lovely tin they are just mediocre biscuits, far better ones available in most supermarkets. The chutneys, preserves, cakes, chocolates and teas are nothing special either.

I don't know how to tell her without coming across as ungrateful. I am quite a budget shopper so she thinks it is a real treat for me to have what is thought to be an indulgent hamper.

You’ll have to hope she watched the programme Theexwife🤣

I watched it Doodle. I’ve never been to Aldi and not sure where the nearest one is.

Abitbarmy Mon 21-Nov-22 07:58:13

I’m a big fan of Aldi and have bought baskets in the past and made up hampers for relatives. I enjoy doing it. Of course not an option if you want to send one to someone.

Abitbarmy Mon 21-Nov-22 07:59:22

Plus they don’t play Xmas music or any other kind and are extremely speedy with the checkout process.

dogsmother Mon 21-Nov-22 08:01:27

We don’t have an Aldi here but I was bought a Rum cake that came in a a box. It had appeared on a tv programme as the next big thing 🤷‍♀️ It was absolutely amazing, light, flavoursome. I would be thrilled to have access to that shop!

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 21-Nov-22 08:09:39

Our Aldi do click and collect, it’s a very nice store.

MiniMoon Mon 21-Nov-22 08:46:08

As soon as DH put this Aldi programme on I remembered seeing it last year. I told him it was a repeat, he looked at the TV paper and I was correct. What made me remember? The cracker comparison.

Mollygo Mon 21-Nov-22 08:54:35

Thanks for the reminder. I saw an Aldi program before-it may have been the same one. I’ll see if I can find this one on catchup.
We sometimes go to the one near us. I like the chutneys and bread, and their meat/fish is good value. We use Lidl more often because it’s easier to get to.

Smileless2012 Mon 21-Nov-22 08:54:51

We 'discovered' Aldi when we moved 6 years ago and do our weekly shop there, just getting a few items from Tesco. We reckon to save on average £30 a week.

Really enjoyed the programme and discovered why they're so quick on the checkouts; more than one bar code on each item making scanning quicker. Such a simple yet clever idea.

Grandmadinosaur Mon 21-Nov-22 08:56:41

MiniMoon

As soon as DH put this Aldi programme on I remembered seeing it last year. I told him it was a repeat, he looked at the TV paper and I was correct. What made me remember? The cracker comparison.

I thought it was a repeat too hence why I didn’t watch it.

ElaineI Mon 21-Nov-22 09:12:23

I use a lot of Aldi products and they are fine and generally cheaper. As for hampers - I tend to make my own as I know what the recipients like. Again it is much cheaper and geared to taste.
On another thought I usually order turkey and a couple of things from M&S to be collected before Christmas. This year our local foodstore is not one you can order from so will use a different store as I'm not travelling to a much busier shopping centre.

NanKate Mon 21-Nov-22 09:49:51

Slightly off piste. Sadly we lost our small Waitrose about 18 months ago and in its place we have a Lidl which opened last week. Well I’m seriously underwhelmed. I shall be using the Sainsbury's and M and S Foods in our town from now on.