Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Crown..Season 5

(151 Posts)
Bea65 Thu 10-Nov-22 20:31:19

I was a little concerned about the upset on the current series dropping on Netflix and the PR around this is just a drama..the first 2 episodes with the new actors didn't really inspire me..however Episode 3 about Sydney is very interesting and wondered if this was a true character and find that he was and enter Mohammed Al Fayid..and the purchase of The Ritz and then Harrods...fascinating series..

Aveline Thu 10-Nov-22 20:37:55

I've seen two episodes. It's pretty well done but little things niggle. I know it's stupid but I wish the dressers had got the Queen's pearls right. At least they've got the three strands this season but they're too short.
Balmoral has moved to Glenbogle too!
The programme's not going to do much for Charles's image. It's certainly raking up all my old memories from the time.

Catterygirl Fri 11-Nov-22 00:22:14

Haven’t watched yet as with all the publicity, OH wants to watch with me.

Sago Fri 11-Nov-22 09:17:03

I’m loving it, binge watched and now up to 5😬.

Urmstongran Fri 11-Nov-22 09:25:23

I’m going to start it tomorrow night! Himself isn’t fussed but I love it so I’m happy to watch it alone. I do think Dominic West looks too handsome to play Charles!
😁

BigBertha1 Fri 11-Nov-22 09:44:03

I enjoyed it but I think the casting is strange. I have never thought Dominc West was remotely handsome and his casting as the now King was very strange. Also what have they done with Princess Ann? Only saw a little of Lesley Mandville as Princess Margaret but that looked spot on. They also made the Queen Mother very thin and the actress playing her is a fantastic comedy actress but its an odd role for her but we shall see. I shall watch it all with great enjoyment for the fiction based loosely on fact that it is.

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 09:46:41

I am NO Royalist. And yet, as the stories are full of lies, out of respect for our late Queen, I don't think I will watch.

TerriBull Fri 11-Nov-22 09:48:52

I also think Dominic West is too handsome to play Charles Urmston, I thought Josh O'Conner was a very good match playing him as a young man. I did watch a bit of it the other night, Elizabeth Debicki very good as Diana, the voice, the mannerisms spot on, although dare I say it she doesn't quite have that luminous beauty that Diana had. Jonathan Price isn't right as Prince Philip imo, he just comes across as too soft, Matt Smith was the definitive PP for me. I found it quite amusing to see Johnny Lee Miller playing John Major, bearing mind he was once married to Angelina Jolie, JLM that is not
JM! it just seemed an incongruous concept, but that's an actor for you, to make the role believable.

TerriBull Fri 11-Nov-22 09:51:57

I think a disclaimer had to be added given the production has been less than truthful in certain instances.

henetha Fri 11-Nov-22 09:58:09

Dominic West and Jonathan Pryce both miscast, in my opinion. Lovely actors both, but not right for these roles.
I hope we all remember that this is a drama and not factual.
This series seems to lack the sparkle of previous ones.

merlotgran Fri 11-Nov-22 10:27:03

The miscasting rather spoils it for me. Prince Charles, Prince Philip and Princess Anne are bad enough but I burst out laughing when I saw the Queen Mother. 🤣

Grantanow Fri 11-Nov-22 10:33:49

It isn't truthful or untruthful: it's a soap and fictional but it raises possible historical scenarios about the Royals and the decisions they made. What I take from it is that everything and everyone is a potential sacrifice to keeping the monarchy viable and the massive privileges intact.

VB000 Fri 11-Nov-22 10:47:42

Loved the previous series. We're saving it for when the football starts, as neither of us is interested!

Beechnut Fri 11-Nov-22 11:40:47

henetha

Dominic West and Jonathan Pryce both miscast, in my opinion. Lovely actors both, but not right for these roles.
I hope we all remember that this is a drama and not factual.
This series seems to lack the sparkle of previous ones.

I thought that about the sparkle henetha but wondered if it was because I came late to the series and binged 1-4.
Also we’ve recently been seeing plenty of smiley photos of the Queen and she didn’t do much smiling in this series. But, then again I don’t suppose she had much to smile about at the time.

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 11:45:07

TerriBull

I think a disclaimer had to be added given the production has been less than truthful in certain instances.

Hence my comment above. If Dame Judy, who is not Conservative or Royalist in the traditional sense. thinks the Series is so OTT that a disclaimer has to be added- it is enough for me to be concerned.

GN and huge numbers in the country were distraught and grieving when The Queen died- and now quite happy to watch this distortion of her life. How respectful is that?

merlotgran Fri 11-Nov-22 12:17:50

GN and huge numbers in the country were distraught and grieving when The Queen died- and now quite happy to watch this distortion of her life. How respectful is that?

Why do you think programmes like The Crown and I’m a Celebrity are aired as winter approaches?

I’m happy to be likened to a shallow dimwit, unable to clamber to the dizzying heights of the moral high ground even though I’m perfectly capable of separating fact from fiction. From time to time a bit of mindless escapism suits my mood so boycotting The Crown out of respect for the late Queen isn’t going to make a difference to my life or those around me.

Sarah74 Fri 11-Nov-22 12:18:00

Speaking for myself and plenty of friends and family, this is not representative. I was sad the Queen died, but I was not distraught or grieving - and I know no-one who was.
Equally, I will not be watching The Crown as we do not have Netflix - and none of our AC do either.

Namsnanny Fri 11-Nov-22 13:08:09

I find I usually get interested in music, tv prog. Films ect. When the hype has died down
Might give it a go in about 5 years time🤣

Aveline Fri 11-Nov-22 16:25:57

I'm watching the Crown. The 'Annus horibilis' episode. In it Princess Margaret complains to the Queen that she was prohibited from marrying Townsend. My recollection is that she could marry him but would have to give up her royal status and privilege so decided not to go ahead with the marriage.
Also the Queen's pearls come and go from shot to shot- sometimes two strands sometimes three and always too short!

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 16:38:20

merlotgran

^GN and huge numbers in the country were distraught and grieving when The Queen died- and now quite happy to watch this distortion of her life. How respectful is that?^

Why do you think programmes like The Crown and I’m a Celebrity are aired as winter approaches?

I’m happy to be likened to a shallow dimwit, unable to clamber to the dizzying heights of the moral high ground even though I’m perfectly capable of separating fact from fiction. From time to time a bit of mindless escapism suits my mood so boycotting The Crown out of respect for the late Queen isn’t going to make a difference to my life or those around me.

The fact you compare 'I'm a celebrity' to 'The Crown' says it all really.

I didn't grieve, didn't queue and didn't watch the all thing on a loop. But I did respect the Queen, and swore my allegiance to her.

ginny Fri 11-Nov-22 16:45:51

I enjoyed the first two series and will watch this new one. I understand that it is a story based on real events with much artistic licence. After all how can any one know exactly what who said to who , how they felt or what they thought.
Of course there are some who think a baby born in a ‘soap’ is really born to the character but I think and hope that most of us have more sense than that.

Aveline Fri 11-Nov-22 16:51:30

I recently met some Americans who seem the think it's like a documentary!

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 16:57:42

And that is the real issue. We know it is fiction with much 'artisitic licence' (sheer lies)- but the vast majority of the world does not, and as Aveline says, think it is a documentary.

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 17:09:10

This point has been discussed on the other thread, how some people will actually believe it. There should always have been a disclaimer on every episode right from the start, because the Queen and Philip were both alive at the time, as are their children and grandchildren now.

merlotgran Fri 11-Nov-22 17:15:28

The fact you compare 'I'm a celebrity' to 'The Crown' says it all really

About me or you?