Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Banshees of Inisherin

(13 Posts)
Farzanah Sun 04-Dec-22 13:27:10

Saw this last week and thought the cinematography was superb. Great black humour, but my two friends and I were the only ones laughing in the cinema, and there were plenty of laugh out loud moments. I suspect quite a few hated it, or just didn’t get it.

Eloethan Thu 24-Nov-22 15:44:00

I haven't seen it but two of my friends (not friends of each other) said it was very good.

Fairislecable Thu 03-Nov-22 17:37:24

I watched it yesterday. After some of the comments I was concerned it would be very dour, but it was really funny, well written, acting was fantastic and the landscape was wonderful.

I found it gripping (and a bit grisly) but I really loved it.

I came home and then recommended it to all my family.

baubles Thu 03-Nov-22 17:33:34

We used to terrify ourselves as children with tales of the banshees. We’d sit on steps of the big house as darkness fell and tell terrible stories, I was always the first to be called in and would run down the street with my heart thudding in my chest.

Sarah74 Thu 03-Nov-22 17:16:27

Mark Kermode gave it a great review in The Guardian

www.theguardian.com/film/2022/oct/23/the-banshees-of-inisherin-review-martin-mcdonagh-colin-farrell-brendan-gleeson

mulberry7 Thu 03-Nov-22 16:52:01

The banshee is alive and well in the countryside in Ireland. (Banshee, bean sídhe means Fairy Woman). My husband heard her years ago, and a son just recently. I wish she'd have a go at singing for Putin.

Kate1949 Thu 03-Nov-22 16:45:45

Oh I was looking forward to this. I'll still give it a go. My mother used to regale us with tales of banshees in Ireland when she was a child. She told us she found a banshee's comb in a field once.grin

Greyduster Thu 03-Nov-22 14:50:13

Just read a précis of this film. Gosh that sounds like a barrel of laughs!

Sago Thu 03-Nov-22 14:37:11

Sorry, this is just my opinion😬.
Had it not been delivered in an Irish accent it would have had zero charm.

mrshat Thu 03-Nov-22 14:33:20

O dear! I was really looking forward to it - it has had rave reviews! May have to rethink!

tripsyG Thu 03-Nov-22 14:19:42

I really enjoyed it. Very atmospheric and left a real impression. Mind you, it’s ages since I’ve been to the cinema so perhaps I was easily pleased!

Sarah74 Thu 03-Nov-22 14:18:34

Oh - I’d read reviews that said it was quite amusing? Obviously not!

Sago Thu 03-Nov-22 14:16:02

Rain stopped play yesterday so we gave up on any ideas of walking and went to Fellinis in Ambleside to watch the Banshees of Inisherin.
In hindsight a wet walk would have been a better idea.
Am I alone?