Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A Handmaid's Tale

(14 Posts)
Razzamatazz Sun 23-Oct-22 17:24:57

I haven't had a tv for about a year now but my aunt rang me to let me know series 5 is starting tonight on Channel 4.

Anyone else a fan?

Franbern Sun 23-Oct-22 17:38:47

I read the books, rather frightening . never seen the dramatisation. Am recording the first one to see how it compares

Ilovecheese Sun 23-Oct-22 17:52:45

Yes, looking forward to it.

merlotgran Sun 23-Oct-22 18:58:59

I’m also looking forward to it. I’m not normally a fan of dystopian plots but having read the book years ago I was curious and soon became hooked.

HurdyGurdy Sun 23-Oct-22 19:40:35

I watched the first four or five episodes of series 1 today, and couldn't get a handle on what was happening! I don't think I've got the right mindset for it

Sar53 Sun 23-Oct-22 19:45:27

I've watched from the start and really enjoyed it, if you can enjoy this kind of programme. Some of it is quite hard to watch but I'm looking forward to the new series.

Eloethan Tue 01-Nov-22 22:49:44

Yes, it's grim but gripping. Elizabeth Moss is a great actor.

Doodledog Tue 01-Nov-22 22:53:08

I think it's past its peak, but I still watch every episode.

MarinaL Wed 02-Nov-22 00:28:12

Yes have watched all of it so can't give up now, but in a way I hope this is the final series.

Bridie22 Wed 02-Nov-22 07:35:13

Brilliant series..my favourite, think they are going to serialise " The Testaments " next

Kim19 Wed 02-Nov-22 07:46:55

Too harrowing for me. I'm a softie.

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Nov-22 08:15:37

I've watched all the episodes up to and including the last series but I really don't think I will bother with it.
Once it moved into the contemporary it was hard to suspend disbelief. The motivations and plotlines had already become stretched but they became ridiculous and I ceased to "care".

If only it had ended sooner I would have been left wanting more.

LadyGracie Wed 02-Nov-22 09:03:13

I can’t watch it, I saw a clip which was bad enough. I’m a scaredy cat!

Eloethan Thu 24-Nov-22 16:06:01

It's getting a bit complex now - and quite depressing because nothing seems to be changing in Gilead (except perhaps Aunt Lydia) - and, worse still, there are people in Canada who admire the Gilead regime. Now June and her husband may have been captured by "the enemy", it might become even more depressing.

I'm not sure if I can take much more disenchantment and disappointment but Elizabeth Moss is so brilliant in the role of June that I will probably continue.