Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Storyville The Fire Within

(8 Posts)
Littleannie Tue 18-Oct-22 20:32:42

Has anyone else seen this documentary film on BBC, now on the I Player? It moved me to tears.

Doodledog Tue 18-Oct-22 22:12:56

No, I didn't see it. What was it about?

MayBee70 Tue 18-Oct-22 22:32:02

I like documentaries. I’ll check that out.

Littleannie Tue 18-Oct-22 22:34:17

It's a compilation of extraordinary films made by 2 scientists, a married couple, of volcanoes. They were killed when a volcano erupted. Some of the scenes are breath-taking.

MayBee70 Fri 04-Nov-22 00:43:38

Thanks. Just watched it. I like a Werner Herzog documentaries. I haven’t seen one for a long time. I wonder if they filmed the volcano that featured in Sans Soleil?

Eloethan Thu 24-Nov-22 15:41:51

I watched it a few days ago. I found it so interesting, especially the way in which volcanoes practically took over the lives of the couple. I think the husband said he couldn't live without volcanoes. The footage of the volcanoes is extraordinary too. It's true it was sad but this couple lived their lives exactly as they wanted to - which is something a lot of people couldn't say.

Dee1012 Thu 24-Nov-22 15:46:16

It was fascinating....I always watch the Storyville documentaries, they are outstanding and quite often very moving.
'Welcome to Chechnya' is heartbreaking.

MayBee70 Wed 01-Feb-23 08:23:00

I’ve just discovered a new BBC Sounds podcast called Must Watch in which a panel of three people basically just say if they find a tv programme is a must watch and they absolutely raved about this film albeit complaining that you really have to dig around to find Storyville documentaries. Which is true.