Gransnet forums

Travel

Cards and my mobile.

(8 Posts)
tanith Tue 26-Mar-24 14:04:18

I use my phone to pay rather than carry cash and I’ve just bought a phone wallet with slots for cards. What I’m puzzling about is if I want to tap my contactless Freedom pass on the bus or tube which will be in the new wallet is it likely to give me a free journey or charge for the journey using my debit card which is in my google wallet on my mobile? 🤦‍♀️ I’m confused!

Kim19 Tue 26-Mar-24 14:17:41

Simply remove the card in use from the wallet and use it independently thus eliminating any risk.

tanith Tue 26-Mar-24 16:07:41

Thanks I was hoping I could just use my phone and not carry my cards around with me.

Pittcity Tue 26-Mar-24 16:46:21

You can turn the NFC off in your phone settings, so your Google wallet won't work. I only turn mine on when I'm paying for something for fear of someone with a device to intercept the signal.
But, if you have more than one contactless card in your wallet, the machine can't differentiate between them.

sodapop Tue 26-Mar-24 17:10:55

A friend of mine did this and had her phone stolen along with her cards. Maybe not a good idea.

tanith Tue 26-Mar-24 19:28:14

Thanks, given me food for thought.

DreamDrifter Thu 04-Apr-24 01:40:29

If your Freedom pass is set as the default for contactless travel on TFL services, tapping your wallet with the pass should work just fine. Just make sure it's the one the reader picks up. Your debit card in Google Wallet shouldn't interfere with the Freedom pass transaction as long as it's not set as the primary payment method for travel.

OldFrill Thu 04-Apr-24 09:59:03

Just an aside, a waiter on bringing our bill and the card reader, accidentally paid it himself with his phone which was in his pocket. If it hadn't happened to me l would have thought it was an urban myth.