Gransnet forums

Travel

Luggage

(11 Posts)
Rosiebee Sat 24-Feb-24 11:52:34

Looking to buy 4 wheeled cases for next holiday after dragging our 2 wheelers to the airport and seeing other folk seemingly gliding past with their bags. Any recommendations? Don't want anything too big, medium sized for 2 week breaks. I do like the look of the hard shell ones but don't want anything too heavy. Thanks.

NotAGran55 Sat 24-Feb-24 12:17:44

I have just bought Eastpak after reading up on Which?
I have only used it once so far but I’m very pleased with the fantastic quality.

The Which? report advised 2 wheelers for rough terrain and up and down steps, and 4 wheelers for smooth surfaces like airports.

midgey Sat 24-Feb-24 12:26:23

According to my offspring hardshell is better as the soft shell ones get rammed into possibly unforgiving spaces! Have you thought of going to TKMaxx and trying some out? What suits one is horrid for another.

silverlining48 Sat 24-Feb-24 13:31:40

As midgy says Tk has a lot of luggage to choose from at reasonable prices. Matalan too. Our local markets have lots to choose from. It’s personal choice and everyone has their own budget. I don’t spend a fortune in luggage given the bashing it gets.

aonk Sat 24-Feb-24 13:46:11

We’ve had our hard shell luggage for some years. The make is Tripp and the cases have a good guarantee. We bought them in Debenhams which is no longer except online. Other places may stock these. I would recommend them highly.

Susan56 Sat 24-Feb-24 13:48:00

We bought our hard shell luggage from Tripp too.We bought ours at Cheshire Oaks.

V3ra Sat 24-Feb-24 13:51:21

We buy our luggage from TKMaxx. We go for 4-wheeled, padded soft shell as it's lighter than hard shell.
We always take our luggage scales to the shop and weigh the empty cases to compare, some are very heavy in themselves.

Imarocker Sat 24-Feb-24 13:59:06

Be careful buying from T K Maxx because the cases are sometimes damaged. We bought four wheeled cases from Matalan.

Aveline Sat 24-Feb-24 14:10:51

I was lucky and found a brilliant one in M&S sale. It was more than 50% off, top quality, hard shell. It was even a nice colour! This was out of holiday season though. I expect cases are at full price between now and the summer.

silverlining48 Sat 24-Feb-24 14:11:07

I find tkmaxx ok. Had no problem with luggage or anything else. Obviously check zips etc before buying as one would do anywhere.
My problem is airlines changing the rules about sizes of carry on cases. I have two lovely hard carry on 4 wheeled cases. We bought them when they were EasyJet sizes but now they have reduced the sizes and they are just a few inches too big. Really don’t want to have to buy yet more carry ons.

Mogsmaw Sat 24-Feb-24 14:12:25

I got a fabulous hard shell case from Aldi, when it was too small I got another from Lidl. Both were amazing and cheap!