Gransnet forums

Travel

Venice carnival

(7 Posts)
polomint Wed 31-Jan-24 17:37:59

I've always loved the idea of going to Venice in February when the masked carnival is on. I really hope to get some day although I gather its so expensive. I would like to hire the ball gown , the mask the " everything" and go to the ball. I can dream can't I? Has anyone been to this carnival? Or has anyone attended a masked event?

Lollin Thu 01-Feb-24 08:01:42

I did not remember that they put on a carnival until recently spotting holiday advertisements. I am torn because Venice struggles with tourists and love the idea of seeing it though wonder if it’s disappointing because of crowds. I wonder too if anyone has been and would love to hear all about it.

Kate1949 Thu 01-Feb-24 09:56:12

We've holidayed in Venice 4 or 5 times. Never at Carnival though. The last visit was about 10 years ago so I don't know what it's like now. They have now banned cruise ships. It was quite disconcerting to see these huge monsters coming in and thousands of people getting off.

For me, it was wonderful, magical. I loved it. I never thought in a million years I would go there. I would go back tomorrow if I could. Yes it's ridiculously expensive and crowded but if you know that before you go, you can be prepared. You can find cheaper places to eat off the beaten track. I'm not good with crowds but I didn't care! There is a lot of walking involved so not so good for those with mobility problems.

Millie22 Thu 01-Feb-24 11:44:55

I went to Venice 12 years ago and it was really a special place. We stayed in Treviso as it was a work trip and all booked beforehand.

We got a train into Venice and I will never forget walking out of the station. It was like a painting in front of me.

Lots of walking and we went on the watertaxi around the harbour. It wasn't too crowded just a lot of people.

Lollin Thu 01-Feb-24 15:45:05

It was very busy when I was on holiday there two summers in the 1970s but I wondered what it is like during the carnival as it takes place in February, winter weather.

Gin Thu 01-Feb-24 16:03:09

I do not know what it is like in Venice but when we lived in Rome in the seventies the very much celebrated time of ‘Carnevale’ was a dangerous time to be out and about! Instead of cooking pancakes with flour and eggs as we do, all the teenagers threw them all over each other and any other unfortunate passerby!

62Granny Thu 01-Feb-24 16:45:07

We went to Venice some years ago it was a week or two after carnival but a lot of places still had costumes and masks on display , we bought a feathered she make as a gift for our daughter, it can't have been too costly. Venice is funny as it is crowded in the day but quite quiet after the tourist leave about 6.00 pm My two memories are a violinist playing in the cloister around St.Marks Sq. One evening after we as we walked back to our hotel after dinner and a VERY small restaurant we found by the Ferrari shop, just two ladies cooking lovely homemade Italian food, only about 6 tables and then if someone got up you had to move to let them out and the food was fantastic . We stayed just off St.Marks Square in a best Western hotel and it was quite reasonable. We enjoyed St. Marks Church and the Doge Palace.