Gransnet forums

Travel

2nd hand car for bad back

(9 Posts)
MissingLincs Sun 28-Jan-24 19:42:57

I currently drive a Citroen C3 but I'm doing some homework on getting a 'taller' car rather than a bigger car. I do sometimes seize up and my back hurts when I bend to get in so I'm thinking of replacing it with something like a Vauxhall Mokka, Crosland, Grand land or a Nissan Juke or Qashqai or even a Kia Sportage.
My budget is about £12,000 (cash) and I was wondering if anyone else with problems bending into a car has changed to a higher car, and what did you choose? TIA

Gwyllt Sun 28-Jan-24 21:46:33

Whatever car you choose check if you can raise snd lower the drivers seat
A raised seat is much easier to get into and out
I am ignorant I don’t know how common this feature is.

Grannynannywanny Sun 28-Jan-24 21:55:40

I have a back problem and have driven a Honda Jazz for the past 7 years. I find it a comfortable height.

tanith Sun 28-Jan-24 22:23:28

I recently went from a Qashqai to a Corsa but with my seat fully raised I’ve had problem getting in or out and have hip-replacements and an arthritic spine.

Jane43 Sun 28-Jan-24 22:29:07

My friend has back problems and other health issues and her last two cars have been Skodas, apparently they are popular with older people and there is a waiting list for new models.

cornergran Sun 28-Jan-24 22:46:13

We bought a Hyundai Kona for a similar reason missinglincs, I live with spinal and joint issues and Mr C was just finding he was less flexible. We’re both fairly tall and I was struggling to get in and particularly out of our previous car. The Kona is just right for us , the front seats can be heated which I find is a huge help (Mr C never uses them), there is also excellent seat adjustment and a heated steering wheel, a real bonus in cold weather. The height suits us both. We tried many before deciding. I found garage staff totally understanding of my need to try the seats before agreeing to a test ride. A lot will depend on your height, ability to get in and out and personal preference on seat height and rake. Good luck with the hunt.

tanith Sun 28-Jan-24 22:47:05

My post shoul read no problem getting in or out. ☺️

MissingLincs Mon 29-Jan-24 05:01:44

Thank you everyone. I haven't yet been to actually sat in any cars as yet but I do take notice, when I pull into a car park or drive past other cars, of the height of the wing mirrors and see if the driver is sitting higher than me. I like the look of the Vauxhall Mokka as it looks like a 'normal size car on stilts', whereas the Qashqai seems a bigger, wider car. I feel I just need taller, not bigger.

tanith Mon 29-Jan-24 07:11:21

The Nissan Juke has a higher driving position worth trying out.