Gransnet forums

Travel

Hotel recommendation Kilkenny, Ireland

(7 Posts)
Moles Sun 28-Jan-24 17:15:45

Hi, we're going to Ireland in mid June with another couple who are very sensitive to night time noise. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lovely hotel/B&B in Kilkenny that is in a quiet area? It's for one night.
Thanks thanks

Kate1949 Mon 29-Jan-24 17:21:26

I've visited Kilkenny a few times as my mother was from there. I can't help you with hotels I'm afraid as we always stayed with relatives. It's a lovely city though. I hope you enjoy it.

Soozikinzi Mon 29-Jan-24 17:39:37

The Lyrath Hotel and spa is on an estate so that should be quiet ? I've never stayed there myself -I imagine it's expensive? The Newark or the Ormond are in the town

Farmor15 Fri 02-Feb-24 09:04:04

Newpark Hotel is on the edge of town so quiet enough. Lyrath is further out. Both good but quite expensive.

SeaWoozle Sun 18-Feb-24 21:53:30

We stayed in Kilkenny a few years ago in a lovely B&B just outside the town. Couple who owned it were very friendly. Bit of a walk but quiet! It was called Auburndale but don't know if it still exists! Kilkenny is vibrant and fun and some of the pubs have great music nights. Don't know how active you are or if you like heights but I recommend the climb up the tower to see the magnificent views and the visit to the replica of Gloucester Cathedral. It really does look like a smaller version of the real thing. Also recommend the castle grounds for a picnic and the train journey round the town though be warned it's a tad anti English in places - but meant in jest. Mostly. Have a fab time. We loved it.

Spetz Fri 23-Feb-24 19:09:50

We stayed at the Pembroke on our visit to Kilkenny, in a castle view room. Great location, across the street from Zuni which had amazing food and up the street from the Left Bank, again great food.

rubysong Fri 23-Feb-24 19:43:25

Spooky. I'm watching Michael Portillo on TV and he is visiting Ireland. At the same time I just logged in to GN and as he said Kilkenny, my eye fell on the title of this thread.