Gransnet forums

Travel

Best European Cities for Solo Travellers

(11 Posts)
Newbeginnings Sun 17-Dec-23 13:30:20

What are best cities for Solo Travellers to visit in Europe?
Thinking of Budapest -but would welcome any other suggestions.

Sago Sun 17-Dec-23 13:49:52

Oslo it’s safe, clean and lots to do!

pascal30 Sun 17-Dec-23 14:31:37

Stockholm, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Paris, Montpellier, Malaga

Kim19 Sun 17-Dec-23 14:42:22

Have read and heard that Paris is desperately down at heel at the moment. Have been a solo traveller for many years and have never encountered any problems in any city but I did experience an aversion to solo females dining in upmarket restaurants in Italy. Strange. Thought it was me but...happened more than once.

Georgesgran Sun 17-Dec-23 14:47:31

I’d be happy in Barcelona on my own - Malaga too.

mumski Sun 17-Dec-23 14:48:30

Have you thought about going with a group.? I'm on my own but have has two really good trips with Riviera Travel. One to Seville, Alhambra etc. The other to India. Lovely group and the tour mangers were fantastic.

NotSpaghetti Sun 17-Dec-23 14:56:48

I think Stockholm too.
Was easy clean, vibrant and multi-cultural.

Siope Sun 17-Dec-23 16:55:03

Athens (and many other Greek cities and large towns), Amsterdam, Bruges, Luxembourg, Rheims, Lisle, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Kotor, Istanbul, Prague, Rouen, Avignon, Reykjavik, Granada, Lisbon, Porto, Aveiro.

Of these: Athens, Lisbon, Istanbul and Stockholm are those that I’d go back to.

Those I found boring include Paris (been a few times and can’t work out why I don’t like it), Dubrovnik, Brussels, Rotterdam, and Naples.

GranThomas Sat 09-Mar-24 01:44:37

I have traveled alone to Europe several times. Lisbon is one of the places I like most because it’s safe, easy to get around by foot, many people speak English well, the climate is nice, they have excellent wine, and it's less costly compared with some big cities. Still, Portugal has other locations besides Lisbon that deserve attention, including Algarve, Porto, Cascais, Sintra, Obidos and Madeira. When visiting these areas, I like to explore alongside a local guide from gowithguide.com/portugal/guides

NotSpaghetti Sat 09-Mar-24 12:48:30

Here's an article that may be of interest.

www.theguardian.com/travel/2024/mar/05/solo-holidays-and-breaks-brilliant-older-women

welbeck Sat 09-Mar-24 12:56:33

Kim19, that attitude to single women dining used to be common throughout, inc uk.
i guess it stems from the suspicion that if a woman is dining alone then she is looking to pick up a man.