Gransnet forums

Travel

Northern Belle Afternoon Tea trip

(12 Posts)
Primrose53 Sat 09-Sep-23 09:17:24

Spent yesterday afternoon on this beautiful train in the Chatsworth carriage. All the carriages are named after stately homes and decorated in different styles. Brass luggage racks, lovely upholstery, beautiful carpets, curtains and lamps, hand painted ceilings. Even the “bathroom” was mahogany with fresh orchid, lovely handwash and rolled hand towels.

White linen cloths, sparkling crystal, white china, delicious afternoon tea (duck scotch egg, quiche, dainty sandwiches, selection of cakes, warm scone with cream and jam, strawberries and cream) champagne, port or sherry, tea and coffee and sparkling water until it comes out of your ears!!

We were on a 5 hour round trip and our every need was met by the liveried staff who were super smart and really friendly and professional.

A lovely day out as a special treat for our joint birthdays.

hulahoop Sat 09-Sep-23 09:36:06

Sounds lovely Primrose .

Georgesgran Sat 09-Sep-23 09:39:02

Sounds like a lovely afternoon.

I bought dinner for DD2 and her DH as an anniversary gift on the Northern Belle. It set off from Newcastle and meandered to Carlisle and back. They said it was fabulous - I remember it wasn’t cheap.

Redhead56 Sat 09-Sep-23 09:39:35

It does sound lovely we had a similar day out on a steam train being wined and dined certainly an occasion to remember.

Primrose53 Sat 09-Sep-23 09:59:55

Georgesgran

Sounds like a lovely afternoon.

I bought dinner for DD2 and her DH as an anniversary gift on the Northern Belle. It set off from Newcastle and meandered to Carlisle and back. They said it was fabulous - I remember it wasn’t cheap.

It wasn’t cheap but we had birthdays before and after our day out so we decided to do this instead of presents.

I could have had a week in Spain for what this cost! 🤣🤣

Aveline Sat 09-Sep-23 11:07:36

That sounds wonderful! I'd love to do that. Happy birthday

paddyann54 Sat 09-Sep-23 11:29:07

We gave our friends an all day Scotland to York trip on the Northern Belle for a special anniversary.They loved it,said the food was excellent and the train itself a beautiful experience .In fact they liked it so much they are doing it all again for their anniversary this year.This time though they'll take appropriate waterproof jackets for wandering round York they had to buy jackets last time!

Aveline Sat 09-Sep-23 12:13:51

Will check that out paddyann. I'd love to do that. Will dress for the weather though.

LauraNorderr Sat 09-Sep-23 12:23:27

Sounds wonderful Primrose and happy birthday to you both.

Primrose53 Sat 09-Sep-23 14:16:26

paddyann54

We gave our friends an all day Scotland to York trip on the Northern Belle for a special anniversary.They loved it,said the food was excellent and the train itself a beautiful experience .In fact they liked it so much they are doing it all again for their anniversary this year.This time though they'll take appropriate waterproof jackets for wandering round York they had to buy jackets last time!

What a very generous friend you are. paddyann54

V3ra Sat 09-Sep-23 16:53:44

The three of us clubbed together and treated my Mum and Dad to a similar trip from Birmingham to Edinburgh, including tickets to the Royal Yacht, for a special wedding anniversary.
They loved it.

FoghornLeghorn Fri 20-Oct-23 22:52:44

We’ve done quite a few of these trips. We do the Christmas trip every year. It’s a lovely thing to do.