Gransnet forums

Travel

Where to stay near faro Portugal

(21 Posts)
Francisann Sat 24-Jun-23 10:02:23

Can anyone help with where to stay near faro in Portugal. Not Albufera. It will just be me and my husband going there in September. Would love advise on nice hotels etc and any excursions we could do. Many thanks.

V3ra Sat 24-Jun-23 15:45:10

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g262054-d566522-Reviews-Vilar_do_Golf-Almancil_Loule_Faro_District_Algarve.html

We've stayed here several times.
It's mainly 2-bed villas though there are a few 1-beds.
It's not far from the airport.
You can book excursions through reception, or hire a car.
Have a read through the reviews for the time of year you'll be going and see if it's what you fancy.

Francisann Sun 25-Jun-23 11:41:46

Thank you so much for that information, that's really helpful. It looks a really nice place so I am going to look into it. May thankssmile

V3ra Sun 25-Jun-23 17:17:25

There's a shuttle bus from the resort down to the nature reserve and beach. Lots of nice walking and bird watching in either direction from there.

We've done a 4x4 excursion into the hills, with lunch, which we enjoyed.

Faro old town is really nice to wander round, lots of shops and restaurants.

We enjoyed a trip to the sand city at Pera.

My friend and I enjoyed a Segway excursion up in the hills, lovely views, while our husbands played golf.

We went on a gulet cruise along the coast with lunch, and one with a barbecue on a beach.

There's a big lake down towards the beach with watersports and a restaurant.

I think I need to go back! 😎

Sago Sun 25-Jun-23 18:18:37

Tavira is a firm favourite of ours, it’s 45 minutes from Faro.
Roman town on a river with fabulous restaurants and just a few hotels.
The beaches are outstanding.
We stay at the Maria Nova.

Francisann Sun 25-Jun-23 19:46:08

Wow! you are such a mine of information, so glad I asked. Thank you so much. May see you there. grin

Francisann Sun 25-Jun-23 19:49:10

Thank you will look that up as well. smile

Squiffy Sun 25-Jun-23 20:29:17

Lagos is about an hours drive from Faro and is a lovely small town with a marina, beach nice shops and restaurants.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Jun-23 20:35:57

You beat me to it squiffy I was just about to suggest Lagos.

Praia de Luz is lovely also.

Squiffy Tue 27-Jun-23 15:13:11

GrannyGravy grin

Yes, Praia de Luz is nice, but does get busy. It has a lovely restaurant (the name escapes me, but you may know it) where they have live jazz playing outside.

Squiffy Tue 27-Jun-23 15:14:13

Restaurant Fontaleza!

Francisann Wed 28-Jun-23 18:39:23

Thanks girls taking this all on board. smile

Norah Wed 28-Jun-23 19:01:56

I'm not sure milage, after arriving Lisbon we drive to the Algarve through Arriolos a lovely town with many shops of hand made carpets.

Everyone in our family loves rustic carpets.

Lovely town, nice food, picturesque Portugal - worth a stop.

Francisann Sat 01-Jul-23 21:45:15

Thanks Norah, will check this out.

silverlining48 Sat 01-Jul-23 22:48:10

Alvor is nice. We are going in a couple of weeks.

NotAGran55 Sun 02-Jul-23 07:40:33

Alvor and Tavira are my two favourites on The Algarve.

NannyJan53 Sun 02-Jul-23 07:58:52

We travel from Faro to Lagos by train. It costs approximately 8 Euro return each. We stay a couple of nights in Faro on the way home.

I can recommend Aqua Ria Boutique Hotel. It is fairly quiet with a pool, and self catering. Lots of lovely places to eat in Lagos.

Abitbarmy Sun 02-Jul-23 08:11:51

I agree with Sago, we’re staying in Tavira at this very moment at the Maria Nova. We came here on the recommendation of other GNetters a few years ago. The hotel is adults only and very nice. Just don’t get a room under the rooftop bar, too much noise from moving furniture! The bar itself is great though with amazing views. Highly recommend.

NanaDana Sun 02-Jul-23 10:04:37

We had a holiday home on the Algarve for many years, on the outskirts of Tavira. If you want to avoid Albufeira-type towns, Tavira fits the bill. Villa Gale hotel is near the town centre, and is very comfortable. I'd go B&B rather than half board, as there are so many nice eateries in town. Cheap, good snack lunches at the town library cafe. A castle and churches to visit, lovely town square, regular ferry to Tavira island from the quayside - about 10 mins for 2 Euros or so. You're also around 25 mins from the Spanish border, so a visit to Vila Real de San Antonio (just over the border) is worthwhile. Tavira is around a half-hour transfer from Faro airport. Enjoy, and leave it until late Sep if you can.. cooler and cheaper.

NanaDana Sun 02-Jul-23 11:49:47

An additional thought re. Vila Gale Hotel, Tavira town.. they have a sister hotel a little way up the coast, called the Vila Gale Albacora. It's right on the beach, quite isolated, based on what used to be a tuna fishing village. Lovely pool, plus of course the beachfront location, and the bonus is that a free hotel bus runs between both locations on a regular basis throughout the day.

Sago Sun 02-Jul-23 11:53:57

Abitbarmy

I agree with Sago, we’re staying in Tavira at this very moment at the Maria Nova. We came here on the recommendation of other GNetters a few years ago. The hotel is adults only and very nice. Just don’t get a room under the rooftop bar, too much noise from moving furniture! The bar itself is great though with amazing views. Highly recommend.

Glad you’re enjoying it, I think it was myself possibly under another name that recommended it.

Unfortunately we have noticed some new developments and we spoke to a lovely young man whose father had a building company who told us the local council were approving more and more building.

The Maria Nova is great value and we do love pre and post dinner drinks on the rooftop bar!