Gransnet forums

Travel

Clean air stickers for travelling in France/ Switzerland

(22 Posts)
mumofmadboys Sat 10-Jun-23 12:18:29

Has anyone driven abroad recently? We are going to France/Switzerland/ Portugal and Spain in about 3 weeks time. Just checking all the requirements for driving abroad. We apparently need a clean air sticker I think just to drive in certain zones. Anyone know anything about this or any other advice for driving abroad. Thanks in advance.

Mamie Sat 10-Jun-23 12:24:57

You need Crit'Air for zones around French towns. This is the official website. It costs under 5€ and lasts for the life of the car.
www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

Aveline Sat 10-Jun-23 12:32:05

Does a sticker somehow clean the exhaust emitted by a car?

Mamie Sat 10-Jun-23 13:02:27

Aveline

Does a sticker somehow clean the exhaust emitted by a car?

Well you could try not having one and see how you like the fines! 😂

sodapop Sat 10-Jun-23 13:06:14

Some areas you will not be able to enter depending on the Crit'Air number allocated to your car. One of our cars is 27 years old and is limited as to where it can travel.

CountessFosco Sat 10-Jun-23 13:09:58

When you cross into Switzerland, you will also need to buy a Vignette which must be appended to your windscreen. To be caught without it means a heavy fine. Cost is CHF40.00, but perhaps you already know this? wink

Joseann Sat 10-Jun-23 14:39:24

We are spending June driving round an area of France which I don't think requires a certificate, so didn't bother. But I remember reading that places like Grenoble and Strasbourg do.
As an aside, there are so many speed warnings now on the road, they are quite distracting. They flash at anyone over the new limit and you can find yourself being caught out. Yet French drivers still come tearing past way over the speed limit!

Mamie Sat 10-Jun-23 14:42:13

Rouen does as well and that is probably on a route for many British tourists.

Aveline Sat 10-Jun-23 14:45:47

Mamie I understand that it is a vital sticker but what does it prove or demonstrate? Does your car have to be assessed in some way? Information missing.

Mamie Sat 10-Jun-23 15:11:11

Yes it rates your car on emissions. So our electric car has a 0 and the most polluting vehicles are a 6.
There are restrictions on vehicles with high emissions.
The fines can be quite hefty.
I thought the ULEZ scheme was similar in London?

Aveline Sat 10-Jun-23 15:13:05

I'm not in London or likely to be. I certainly wouldn't be driving there.

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Jun-23 16:11:41

Mamie

Yes it rates your car on emissions. So our electric car has a 0 and the most polluting vehicles are a 6.
There are restrictions on vehicles with high emissions.
The fines can be quite hefty.
I thought the ULEZ scheme was similar in London?

Bristol has a Clean Air Zone too.

Joseann Sat 10-Jun-23 16:16:45

You've got to have a pretty oldish car in London to have to pay. Off the top of my head, 2009. The zone is being extended way out into the suburbs this year. Ironically, I was always surprised that more deaths are caused outside London by pollution than in the city iself.

Joseann Sat 10-Jun-23 16:17:13

Or diesel.

mumofmadboys Sat 10-Jun-23 21:51:30

Thank all for your posts. Useful

Fleurpepper Wed 14-Jun-23 10:14:28

Mamie

You need Crit'Air for zones around French towns. This is the official website. It costs under 5€ and lasts for the life of the car.

Only for a few towns though- and not necessary in most of France.

The Swiss vignette for 40 CHF is great value- and can be bought at the border crossing. This is not required for normal roads, only MWays- but as a tourist you will probably use MWays. Where will you be crossing into Switzerland, and where will you be visiting there?

JackyB Wed 14-Jun-23 13:15:54

I would refer to your Automobile club website for information about what is required.

Ours provides not only the information but can organise many of the vignettes and stickers for you. They also send you a package with relevant maps and guide books and other helpful bumph.

Ours is a German Club, though, of course . I don't know how much the AA or RAC have this service. You can probably look at the websites even if you're not a member.

Mamie Wed 14-Jun-23 13:19:55

Fleurpepper

Mamie

Only for a few towns though- and not necessary in most of France.

The Swiss vignette for 40 CHF is great value- and can be bought at the border crossing. This is not required for normal roads, only MWays- but as a tourist you will probably use MWays. Where will you be crossing into Switzerland, and where will you be visiting there?

Hmm I think that is changing Fleurpepper. I know of a few people caught out driving round Rouen, for example. Seriously, why would you not pay a few euros for a sticker that lasts for the lifetime of the car to be on the safe side?

sodapop Wed 14-Jun-23 17:05:39

Yes it is changing, we live in a rural area but the sticker is necessary in a couple of local towns.

Fleurpepper Wed 14-Jun-23 20:49:14

Worth having a good look at the map you have provided and see if you are going anywhere near any of those by car. For any of those towns, I'd stay outside and take public transport to go into town.

Grantanow Sun 27-Aug-23 14:43:32

I have sticker for France but it's faded. I wonder if one can get replacements?

Joseann Sun 27-Aug-23 15:16:05

Also, don't forget your zone blue parking disc.
These disque de stationnement can be bought on Amazon for very little before you travel and are a godsend.