Gransnet forums

Travel

Long tour holidays

(18 Posts)
jeanie99 Sun 27-Nov-22 21:58:48

We did 12 month back packing in our early 60s after retiring. Part of this was in Australia and New Zealand.
I didn't find washing a problem, I just used the facilities available locally.
We camped in tents, stayed in hostels, hotels had a motorhome for a period. We camped in hot weather just put a line up.
If you are booking hostels again it's not a problem, ask at hotels before booking what their facilities are.
Always consider the sort of clothes you need and ones that don't need ironing and the weight.
Take advice on Malaria tablets if you might need them from your GP or any other medication you might need jabs for. If you need to take large amounts of medication ask for a letter to cover this.
If you are traveling the west coast don't forget to carry extra petrol and water the garages are miles apart.
Have a great time.

Norah Tue 22-Nov-22 16:03:41

We follow the take little, hand wash and dry overnight in the shower routine. We also take old pants and throw away as we go. New knickers at home.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 22-Nov-22 15:59:43

I use to go travelling for 3 months at a time. I took with me about 7 to 10 days worth of clothes and washed them when having a shower. We usually stayed 2 days somewhere so drying wasn’t a problem and I carried a small travel steam iron.

ParlorGames Tue 22-Nov-22 15:37:13

I have a cousin who regularly flies to the States for several weeks at a time. She packs the very basics and some special dresses......then visits a thrift clothing store to buy undies, tee shirts etc which she gets laundered before flying home and donates to the local charity shops and refuges.

essjay Tue 22-Nov-22 15:31:07

lucky you, i loved new zealand, would love to go again. when i went most hotels had laundry rooms but have to admit i took disposable undies to cut down on the problem of washing my essentials everyday, just took a few proper pairs for special occasions. have a lovely time xx

Susiewakie Tue 22-Nov-22 15:16:18

Thanks for the suggestions will take mostly dresses I think easy to rinse out etc .Beyond excited finally going

Chardy Sun 13-Nov-22 09:50:59

I spent nearly 2 months in NZ in mid-2010s, travelling by car, staying at AirBnbs for a few nights in each place. They all had washing machines and I dried outside as it was summer.
A couple of times, we stayed in a motel that had a laundry hut.
NZ was wonderful. Have the holiday of a lifetime susiewakie

Spice101 Sun 13-Nov-22 05:22:17

We have found a local laundromatt in various places we have been. Found the laundry service at hotels very expensive although some did have a diy laundry.

stella1949 Sun 13-Nov-22 04:40:51

SuzieHi

Secret is to pack non crease easy care clothes in packing bags, so easy to find in your case. Patterned fabrics better than plain (hides marks and creasing. Dresses better than tee shirts/ trousers/shorts as they all look fresher on 2nd/3rd wear. Can dress up or down too - with junk jewellery. Wash out knickers each night- take thin, easy dry sort not thick cotton. Hotel shampoo works for hand washing ! Roll items in a towel to soak off excess water/ hang on towel rail or on your own drying line rigged up somewhere. (I always pack a small roll of cord - mini clothes line- & a few clothes pegs). Enjoy hols- buy anything extra you need on your travels. Holiday dresses always a good buy & nice memories

This exactly ! Follow these tips and enjoy your holiday !

SuzieHi Sat 12-Nov-22 20:52:19

Secret is to pack non crease easy care clothes in packing bags, so easy to find in your case. Patterned fabrics better than plain (hides marks and creasing. Dresses better than tee shirts/ trousers/shorts as they all look fresher on 2nd/3rd wear. Can dress up or down too - with junk jewellery. Wash out knickers each night- take thin, easy dry sort not thick cotton. Hotel shampoo works for hand washing ! Roll items in a towel to soak off excess water/ hang on towel rail or on your own drying line rigged up somewhere. (I always pack a small roll of cord - mini clothes line- & a few clothes pegs). Enjoy hols- buy anything extra you need on your travels. Holiday dresses always a good buy & nice memories

TwiceAsNice Sat 12-Nov-22 17:30:38

I did a three week tour of both countries with Titan ( who were brilliant) and all the hotels had laundry facilities you could do yourself or room service for a reasonable fee. We stayed two or three nights in most places. It was in 2007 but I would imagine it will still be the same

granfromafar Sat 12-Nov-22 17:11:55

Did Oz/NZ 5 years ago and have booked to do a similar trip early next year. The majority of hotels we stayed in had guest laundries, often providing powder too. We found this was adequate. Had packed too much last time so will try hard to take less this time!

Calendargirl Sat 12-Nov-22 17:08:36

When we toured Australia, most of the hotels had diy laundry facilities.

I hung on for the one I had learned didn’t charge for the use of washer and drier, but quite a queue.

Esspee Sat 12-Nov-22 16:11:18

In New Zealand I found that a washer and dryer were commonplace in the accommodation. I don’t know whether it was just the type of place my fiancé chose to book but I was always impressed as they had kitchens, laundry and sometimes even a bath fed from the local hot stream which ran through the very private balcony.
Have a wonderful time.

mokryna Sat 12-Nov-22 15:54:32

When I used to travel to Australia I didn’t believe in dragging a big suitcase, after the first time. I looked for clothes that didn’t crease too much as well as those that could be washed and hung. I travelled to Australia many times, during their winter, Europe’s summer.
A few weeks ago I visited Barcelona for 5 days, only to réalise a couple of days before a Vueling flight only a small bag max. 40x20x30 cm was allowed on in the cabin free of charge, I hadn’t checked when buying the ticket, otherwise pay 80€ extra. However, in the small bag I took there was enough room for underwear, nightwear, three changes of clothing and odds and bobs. I washed clothing in the evening as was needed and I was surprised how well I managed but I don’t glam up in the evenings.
I have noticed my older friends who come to stay with me seem to bring too much in large suitcases, whereas, the younger ones bring a bag.
Look at where you are going to stay and what the weather estimation is, then lay out all the clothes on your bed accordingly, eliminating the unnecessary items when all is sorted.

Lathyrus Sat 12-Nov-22 14:30:52

Most Australian hotels offered an overnight/on the day service, I found but I only used it for my jeans.

OtherwiseI just rinsed things out overnight but I have got my travelling wardrobe down to a fine art🙂

Everything coordinates. I find viscose the best material for most clothes. It dries really quickly and is comfortable in hot weather.

You lay really need one nice dress or evening trousers and top. Most of the time casual clothes are fine.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 12-Nov-22 14:11:39

I think you either have to wash and dry things in your room before you leave each hotel, or have a long stopover somewhere and do your washing. If you get a room with a balcony that should be ok and most rooms have irons and ironing boards in them.

I hate touring and trying to keep clothes clean, I have better things to do than washing! So we don’t tour anymore.
Some chap on the Telly took and wore his old clothes on holiday, then binned them when they dirty. Sounds good to me.

Susiewakie Sat 12-Nov-22 13:54:53

Hi I'm wondering what people do about laundry on the long Australia and New Zealand tours ? I'm asking as recently toured California and hotels which stated guest laundry only did them on certain days ! ( not the ones we were there ) I only managed to wash stuff once which wasn't ideal .Now DH wants to do back to back Australia then New Zealand has anyone else done this ? First World problem I know but this is a joint 60th birthday once in a lifetime trip so please be kind