Gransnet forums

Travel

Travel stress, aggressive airport security staff.

(68 Posts)
Sago Sat 08-Oct-22 08:13:14

We flew from Stansted to Oslo on Thursday, we are frequent travellers and take most things in our stride, once you have booked the RyanAir flight the worst of the stress is normally over.
The security was a nightmare, firstly no area to organise your trays you are straight onto the conveyor, staff were screaming instructions, we had to put wallets, passports, watches liquids in a tray, shoes and coats in another tray and bags in a third.
A man screamed at me that if my bag of liquids wasn’t sealed he would confiscate them, this went on and on.

When we could collect our belongings there was only a tiny space to collate everything, another man came shouting at us not to use the floor whilst a woman was telling us to quickly empty our trays.

By the time we got through our stress levels were off the scale.

I felt so sorry for the many foreign visitors that were clearly upset and confused.

I really feel strongly that I never want to use Stansted again.

Was it a bad day there or is this the norm?

Fleurpepper Mon 10-Oct-22 21:28:52

Best Opticron I could afford, at first Rutland Bird Fair! They have been everywhere with me smile

Georgesgran Mon 10-Oct-22 21:50:18

Razz - New York Airport staff (especially JFK) are notoriously rude! We always say they missed the first term at charm school!

Razzamatazz Mon 10-Oct-22 23:07:19

ha ha Georgesgran, my husband used to say people like that had a charisma bypass! So rude - but too big and scary to argue with.

nanna8 Mon 10-Oct-22 23:55:46

I don’t mind the zeal but does rudeness have to come with it ?

toscalily Tue 11-Oct-22 10:20:18

Thank you for your replies everyone, hopefully I will get it right now and not be the one that holds up the queue. smile

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Oct-22 10:59:13

Georgesgran

Razz - New York Airport staff (especially JFK) are notoriously rude! We always say they missed the first term at charm school!

And the second and third term.

Orlando was dreadful back in the day, I flew ahead with my DD we were shattered after a turbulent flight got to security and I had missed a tick in one box, rather than let me do it there and then I had to go to the back of the queue and start all over again.

aonk Tue 11-Oct-22 11:25:00

I know I’ve already posted on this thread but some of the comments are making me feel anxious. Yes there can be problems at airports but I don’t think that should stop people travelling. There really is no need to worry about such things. There’s a whole world out there for us to explore and covid has taught me that to grasp every opportunity while I can. Keep calm and do some meditation maybe. I was searched at Stansted but it made me feel better that the staff were taking all necessary precautions.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Oct-22 11:33:16

aonk

I know I’ve already posted on this thread but some of the comments are making me feel anxious. Yes there can be problems at airports but I don’t think that should stop people travelling. There really is no need to worry about such things. There’s a whole world out there for us to explore and covid has taught me that to grasp every opportunity while I can. Keep calm and do some meditation maybe. I was searched at Stansted but it made me feel better that the staff were taking all necessary precautions.

I agree aonk post Covid I was jittery and didn’t want to travel, I have ventured abroad twice this year, both hassle free and I my anxiety regarding travel has lessened.

(I am really phobic about flying, but due to family living abroad I have always flown around the world, the airport is just a mean to the end)

HousePlantQueen Tue 11-Oct-22 11:46:13

A most disagreeable experience to be sure. But, despite years and years of it, some people still don't prep themselves before going through security, still carry liquids in their hand luggage, still don't take off their belts, watches etc., despite numerous notices, and numerous people on the way advising you what needs to be done. I am not excusing rudeness by staff of course, but I think if I worked at an airport I would get rather cross when yet another passenger didn't think that the rules apply to them. However, nothing, but nothing can compare to the hostility and aggression of USA airports where everyone it seems, is treated as a potential terrorist.

silverlining48 Tue 11-Oct-22 12:54:34

Only been to the USA once, 25 years ago and found staff at jfk really unpleasant. Certainly wasn’t the welcome we expected and no one wished us a nice day the whole time we were there. ( only 5 days).

Kate1949 Tue 11-Oct-22 14:29:44

Surly staff at New York, Newark too. I couldn't wait to get into a yellow cab with a New York taxi driver at the airport. Our driver was African, his cab was filthy, he was eating a kebab and he couldn't find our hotel!

Fleurpepper Tue 11-Oct-22 14:31:05

HousePlantQueen

A most disagreeable experience to be sure. But, despite years and years of it, some people still don't prep themselves before going through security, still carry liquids in their hand luggage, still don't take off their belts, watches etc., despite numerous notices, and numerous people on the way advising you what needs to be done. I am not excusing rudeness by staff of course, but I think if I worked at an airport I would get rather cross when yet another passenger didn't think that the rules apply to them. However, nothing, but nothing can compare to the hostility and aggression of USA airports where everyone it seems, is treated as a potential terrorist.

Yep, agreed.

silverlining48 Tue 11-Oct-22 15:49:12

Our taxi driver didn’t speak English and was a misery. Not a great introduction to NY. Never did return.

Fleurpepper Tue 11-Oct-22 16:53:27

each time we have taken a taxi in NY they were hilarious and really friendly. Hope you didn't judge a whole City on the attitude of one taxi driver!

Maggiemaybe Tue 11-Oct-22 16:57:36

We loved New York, despite the attitude from some. I’d go back any time. Despite one family restaurant owner dishing out free drinks and bonhomie to every guest apart from us. We just got the cold shoulder and a disparaging comment about “you Mexicans”. Now I’ll agree that my husband’s a bit swarthy, and he did have a moustache at the time, but it was one heck of a stretch!

silverlining48 Tue 11-Oct-22 17:22:19

No but it didn’t endear the place to me nor did being chased down the road by a waiter who didn’t think 15%tip ( for an indifferent meal) was enough.
There are plenty of other places to visit in the time that I have left, so unlikely to return.

Kate1949 Tue 11-Oct-22 17:32:23

I loved New York, just not the taxi drivers and airport staff.