Gransnet forums

Travel

Europe - travel by train.

(32 Posts)
Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 12:56:04

Recently we have re-discovered the joys of travelling by train.

From London to Paris and all over France, Bruges, Alsace, Eastern Germany, Switzerland, Northern Italy, Austria, Slovenia and more. Lots of new routes being opened now in Europe, and many with night trains. I don't live night trains, as I just love watching the countryside go by.

So much easier than travelling by plane, as basically town centre to town centre, rather than have to get to airports dotted all over the place with long access to and from.

And did you know that special tickets exists, from Inter-Rail and all sorts of other options. We recenty did Inter-Rail- and actually chose to pay extra for first class. Brilliant. Travel light - but access to modern trains is so much easier now, and we found people everywhere, staff or other passengers, always prepared to help. And taxis to and fro station and accomodation, or Hôtel pick up- brilliant.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 13:03:10

We are lucky that our local trains go to St Pancras, so direct access to EuroStar.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 01-Oct-22 13:40:43

I do keep planning a rail trip around Europe, I have a map with all the train stations and I use the web site The Man in Seat 61 which is a wonderful site. Was planning and costing a trip to Japan by rail but war by Russia has put paid to that. Done SE Asia by train. so now it’s Europe

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 14:05:37

Yes, parts of Europe, as mentioned in OP, are very easy to reach by great trains. Man in Seat 61 is a fabulous site.

From London, for instance, it is much much easier and more relaxed to go to Paris by train rather than plane. And then on from there.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 14:09:20

In our case, London to Paris, then on to Montreux, on to Verona, but would be easy to go on to Milan and then Bologna, Florence ...

From Verona we went on to very interesting Gorizia, then Bled and Ljubliana, Graz and Innsbruck, return via Bern.

We had tickets to Paris on Eurostar, then Inter-rail for 15 days, allowing 6 travelling days.

Joseanne Sat 01-Oct-22 14:19:35

Your travels, by train, do sound amazing Fleurpepper and I look forward to the day when we can do similar, after retirement of course! I fancy trying London to Aix by train to start with.
It does make it easier if you live in London in the first place, otherwise it can be a hassle getting to St. Pancras.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 14:21:57

Very easy from our local station Joseanne. Our next trip will be to Bordeaux.

Joseanne Sat 01-Oct-22 14:29:22

We had a race once across Germany and France o see who could get home quickest. Daughters and I caught flight, husband and son went by train. The difference in timings wasn't huge, and the boys arrived home far less stressed and got to see a lot more!
Enjoy Bordeaux. And the local produce. ?

M0nica Sat 01-Oct-22 14:36:09

We have been avoding flying and travelling by train since 2015.
We have been to Spain, Switzerland and Germany. We also travel by ferry, to France frequently, but also the isle of Man and recently did acruise starting and finishin in Southampton.

Lucca Sat 01-Oct-22 15:42:30

Hoping to do this too DV !

Unfortunately I live in god’s own county so have to get to london first, France ? Eg. Annecy ? Switzerland ? Maybe on to Venice via Mantova or Lake Garda, hopefully friends may fly out to join us for a few days in Venice as they’ve never been.

Mamie Sat 01-Oct-22 15:50:46

There are plans in France underway to introduce slow train journeys on forgotten branch lines.
www.thelocal.fr/20220126/opinion-frances-slow-train-revolution-may-just-be-the-future-for-travel/

Joseanne Sat 01-Oct-22 16:33:58

Mamie

There are plans in France underway to introduce slow train journeys on forgotten branch lines.
www.thelocal.fr/20220126/opinion-frances-slow-train-revolution-may-just-be-the-future-for-travel/

In that article, Le Croisic is not in Brittany (any more).

MawtheMerrier Sat 01-Oct-22 18:14:51

Three years ago - BP (before the pandemic) - I had a wonderful holiday by train to the Harz mountains in Germany. Eurostar to Brussels, Deutsche Bahn ICE to Wuppertal, Köln, and little (but speedy) local trains to Goslar and Wernigerode .
I upgraded on €* and the ICE trains to enjoy wider seats, complimentary coffee or meals and wine (€*) and it was brilliant.
I always make a point of upgrading on €* if travelling anywhere near mealtimes- that way we enjoyed a complimentary dinner and unlimited wine when I went to Paris for the weekend recently.
(I know the upgrade is more than the cost of a meal but it’s nice not to have to go out to dinner when one arrives.)
Sadly train travel in this country is not as comfortable, reliable and also disproportionately expensive. All the more so because companies like Avanti are currently unwilling to sell reduced advance tickets because of threatened strike action.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 19:09:33

That was very brave Maw as it is a relatively complicated journey with lots of changes. There are so many European destinations which only require a change in Paris or Lille.

When we did out tour with my big brother, we upgraded to 1st class due to spacing and Covid, but mainly to have Panoramic train through Austria (perpex ceiling for full view of mountains), which could not be purchased separately.

silverlining48 Sat 01-Oct-22 19:10:03

Recently in Germany there was a scheme where you paid 9 e and could travel the whole country, by train.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 19:15:49

silverlining48

Recently in Germany there was a scheme where you paid 9 e and could travel the whole country, by train.

Yes, amazing offer. But not allowed on any of the long distance fast trains.

Luckygirl3 Sat 01-Oct-22 19:21:39

Sounds great! - how do you do this when you can't lift your cases!!??

MawtheMerrier Sat 01-Oct-22 19:26:13

Luckygirl3

Sounds great! - how do you do this when you can't lift your cases!!??

Some organisers of similar tours do take responsibility for all luggage transfers- you leave your case outside your hotel room door and they take it from there.
Mine didn’t and I would have gone for another company if I could not have managed - generally more expensive.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 19:29:40

Probably not suitable if you have severe mobility issues or can't lift, sadly. Unless you go for an option as described by MawtM.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 19:35:19

Got to learn to travel light too- which was hard for me. Small wheeled case and a back pack. 1 pair of light walking shoes worn, and 1 pair of sandals.

silverlining48 Sun 02-Oct-22 11:10:07

We used to travel all over Europe for our holidays, great way to see so much on the way,

regarding mobility issues remember the high steps getting onto trains, I suppose that’s still the same. Am less nifty than I was 40 years ago but we did enjoy those trips.

Luckygirl3 Sun 02-Oct-22 11:33:29

I went by train to Provence this summer with my family who did all the case lifting etc. And I could get onto the trains as they have a grab bar by the doors. So that is possible - I will look for companies that can send luggage ahead maybe.

The search continues!

Grantanow Thu 26-Jan-23 13:28:04

The Man in Seat 61 website is very informative and he kindly answered an email query of mine.

Fleurpepper Thu 26-Jan-23 15:40:43

You learn to travel light - and smile, and ask nicely 'could you help me please'- it works very well.

Fleurpepper Thu 26-Jan-23 15:48:14

Joseanne

Your travels, by train, do sound amazing Fleurpepper and I look forward to the day when we can do similar, after retirement of course! I fancy trying London to Aix by train to start with.
It does make it easier if you live in London in the first place, otherwise it can be a hassle getting to St. Pancras.

Depends where you are- Direct from our small town in East Mids- so all we have to do is change trains smile perfect.

France is a bit of a pain, as everything goes via Paris. Wanted to go from Lyon to Bordeaux last year- almost direct line east to west- but NO. Have to take TGV to Paris, change station, and go all the way down to Bordeaux, in a huge V.

We are going to Portugal this autumn and we will fly, but use trains when in Porto, and boats. We have learnt to travel light- same as my 85 year old brother. We rent an apartment with a washing machine, and take as little as possible. As said, there is always someone around to help with luggage, if you smile (and look pathetic, lol).