I'm taking my grandaughters - who will be aged just 12, just 10, and 4 - to the Enchanted Forest this October half term. We have have a flat booked in Edinburgh for three nights/3.5 days, and are then staying in Dunkeld for the weekend (Friday - Sunday). We will have a car.
The kids have few interests in common, although they all like history and boats. Happy, within reason, to do separate things with them, but there are only two adults going so that limits that a bit. They are all happy to walk fairly long distances - even the little one will wander 10 miles a day in a city, if it's interspersed with doing things.
This will be their first visit to Scotland, so we're keen to make it interesting and fun for them, but I'm now worried I'm trying to cram too much in or making the wrong choices!
For Edinburgh and around, was thinking
- Real Mary King's Close for the older two (ideas for what I might do with the younger one for that time welcome);
- World of Illusions/Camera Obscura;
- National Museum (the bloodthirsty middle one is dead keen to see the wee coffins and the lego model of the museum itself);
- we're going to walk up Arthur's Seat, as the older one is volcano mad;
- Dynamic Earth.
- The little one wants a castle visit, and I thought Craigmillar Castle might be better than Edinburgh;
I wondered about a day out of the city, maybe to New Lanark and the Falkirk Wheel (they all love boats), with a quick look at the Kelpies (because Brave, apparently!). Ideally, we'd have done that on the way to Edinburgh, but the timing doesn't work for us.
Open to suggestions for Dunkeld/Pitlochry area, as I pretty much only know the Oak, Cathedral and Beatrix Potter garden in the former, and the Dam in the latter. I was thinking of the Crannoch Centre, but they haven't rebuilt the Crannoch yet, I gather, so I will take them another time.
Thanks for any suggestions/critiques etc.
Zonne Tue 06-Sep-22 17:59:45
Septimia Tue 06-Sep-22 18:02:45
FarNorth Tue 06-Sep-22 18:06:37
Oldbat1 Tue 06-Sep-22 18:21:31
ElaineI Tue 06-Sep-22 18:22:41
ElaineI Tue 06-Sep-22 18:24:02
Grayling Tue 06-Sep-22 18:49:32
Grannynannywanny Tue 06-Sep-22 19:12:12
Aveline Tue 06-Sep-22 19:26:02
Zonne Tue 06-Sep-22 20:19:22