Gransnet forums

Travel

Being blithe and bold, booked a break to beautiful Barcelona

(39 Posts)
mokryna Wed 31-Aug-22 19:02:59

Going somewhere I have never visited for four days end of October.
What did you do there suggestions, welcomed before I plan local visits?

mokryna Thu 06-Oct-22 17:57:44

This is what I have planned so far,
I am open to any suggestions and recommendations. Thank you.

Day 1.
AM walk around and smell the roses

Mid-day Guided tour of Sagrada - booked
Tower nativity -booked

PM late?

Day 2.
AM Casa Batilo Blue- booked La Pedrera - booked

PM guided walking tour Old city and Ribera - booked

Day 3.
AM Park Guell _ booked - no tour available

PM. Gaudí, Sagrada Familia & Modernism guided walking Tour- booked

Day 4.
Bus tour not booked yet.........any recommendations.

PM late Church St Maria del Mar booked
Picasso Museum not booked yet

Day5
AM?
PM early ? evening airport

Esspee Thu 22-Sep-22 17:07:24

Farmor15 I have been trying to remember the name of that museum. It was the highlight of our visit to Barcelona.
It was surreal entering the elevator in the 21st century going down and walking into street level in Roman times.
If anyone knows the name of it I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

farview Thu 22-Sep-22 15:08:30

If you have time..take the train to Montserrat, go up in the cable car,its absolutely beautiful..

Namsnanny Wed 21-Sep-22 12:54:19

Good advice Farzanah
We didnt have any trouble from pickpockets or other scams either.
We ways wear a money belt though.
Learning about the Spanish Civil War must have been fascinating.

Farzanah Wed 21-Sep-22 12:40:50

We’ve been twice and never been robbed or scammed, luckily. All the sites mentioned are great, but we are interested in Civil War, and did a civil war walking tour which was really interesting.
We booked our own small B&B hotel not in the main drag, and they were invaluable for food recommendations.
Our first visit was with grandson 8months old, who became ill, and visit to the Urgencias at paediatric hospital cost €700 + this was private not covered by EHIC. Make sure of your cover!

Namsnanny Wed 21-Sep-22 12:14:39

We had a wonderful time just before covid.
These photos are a taster
The square surrounded by fruiting orange trees, filled with bright green parakeets, where we had our breakfast.
The bustling market where we went for lunch.
A view of the city. Which was especially nice as there were seats where we sat for a while eating fresh rolls and admiring the view!

mokryna Wed 21-Sep-22 12:13:32

Thank you Bab758 it is a bit worrying.
Has anyone used the underground there?

Babs758 Wed 21-Sep-22 11:44:19

Mokryna, you should be fine!

MerylStreep Sat 17-Sep-22 17:34:43

Cfaz
I’d completely forgotten about the Chocolate Museum.?

mokryna Sat 17-Sep-22 17:24:11

Babs758. I am planning to do the same as you, putting my credit card in my trainers under thé inner soles I have to use and carrying cash in small amounts in different pockets. I also have a skin money belt to wear inside my jeans. I hope this will be good enough

Babs758 Sat 17-Sep-22 16:39:33

I used to keep my credit card in my shoe and carried a small amount of cash. Bear the lobster sculpture we were surrounded with young teenagers with clipboards trying to get us to sponsor them. One tried to grab my husbands camera. We were into them and refused to stop and told them firmly to go away. That said I had a wonderful time. We would get up early to q for the sites and got into the gaudi apts early so had those wonderful quirky chimney lots on the roof to ourselves for a bit. The Parc was great with some good buskers. We gave up wiring for the cable car. Ate lots of tapas, went to amazing rooftop bars and also ate quite a bit of sushi. It was hot in October and our hotel had a ribbon pool that went past the rooms and overlooked a basket ball court and lots of washing lines . To be honest I far preferred Barcelona to Venice as felt the latter very overpriced .

Cfaz49 Sat 17-Sep-22 16:23:59

The Chocolate Museum!

AreWeThereYet Sat 17-Sep-22 16:19:38

I too love Barcelona, but can't add to the things already mentioned. A lot depends on the weather - we went once in the Summer when it was so hot we just did museums, shops and galleries as it was too hot to walk around outside. We were really lucky to catch a flamenco dance group in one of the squares one evening (lucky for me, MrA didn't feel so lucky grin ). We went later in the year for a few days and it rained one day but the other two we spent just walking around looking at buildings, and people watching from cafes. We each wear a slim money belt under our clothes with most cards, passports (if needed) and money in, just keeping a small amount in pockets split between us. When we visit a loo we get a bit more cash out. We have a card with quite a small credit limit that we keep for travelling mainly. Have a brilliant time.

Razzamatazz Sat 17-Sep-22 14:48:06

One tip I'd give all travellers is to count the taxi fare cash out into the driver's hand, preferably with a witness.

I've just remembered the couple at my hotel were 'caught' with an old trick.

Trick happens because most of us hand the driver the cash from the back seat. He then goes round to the back of the car to get your cases, and turns up at the front of the car again saying you didn't give him enough. It's as old as the hills, but how do you dispute it?

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Sep-22 18:33:29

I'm another urging you to take extra care of your belongings. Yes, you can be robbed anywhere, but it's happened to so many people I know in Barcelona. One twice in a week, bless her - the second time she had just got onto a train to leave when someone ran alongside and threw her passport in through the window. How kind, she thought, assuming she'd dropped it somehow, and smiling and blowing kisses.....then she realised her bag strap had been sliced and the thief was just returning the passport because (according to the police) there was a higher penalty for stealing identity documents.

But it is a fascinating city and if you take sensible precautions, you'll have a great time. And Sitges is definitely worth the trip. I must admit my favourite memory of Barcelona isn't one you could replicate - it's of Burger King. grin I was having an almighty sulk in the queue down the steps into it because it was so busy we'd been turned away from all the "proper" restaurants. There was a blockage in the chocolate machine and the bossy manager elbowed the young staff out of the way to get to it. The top promptly shot off and the chocolate came out like a fountain and showered down all over him. Fair cheered me up!

V3ra Fri 16-Sep-22 18:10:26

My Dad was pickpocketed and had his passport stolen within a few minutes of arriving. They were there on a cruise and needed them for ID to get back onboard the ship.
Fortunately we always take a photo copy of our passports and leave them in the cabin safe.
He went to the Embassy who helped him out.

Razzamatazz Fri 16-Sep-22 17:52:20

I went in the October and it rained, do take your mac. Have a fantastic time, I think the Gaudi park was my favourite. I kept lots of broken china for many years but never copied him!

mokryna Fri 16-Sep-22 17:47:46

Another question, did you go up one of the Sargrada Famillia, towers and was it worth it? Thank you

J52 Thu 01-Sep-22 09:12:44

Agree with everything said above, particularly pick pockets. Immediately we got off the airport transport the woman in front of me put her bag on her case and it was gone in a flash!
We only took money/ card that we needed for the day and left the rest in the hotel safe. I didn’t use a handbag and used a money belt, DH had trousers shorts with several zip pockets to spread money/ card out.
All sound a bit OTT, but you really have to be careful.

Grandmadinosaur Thu 01-Sep-22 08:49:52

I have very fond memories of spending a special birthday in Barcelona a few years ago. I adore the place and hope to return before too long.

Did most of the things suggested on here and oh yes the Boqueria is a fab place to go. Our time there coincided with the Merce festival they have near the end of September and it made to an even more amazing vibe to the city.

Sadly I can’t reiterate enough to be aware of pickpockets. We saw this happen to people as we were sitting in a square off La Ramblas having a daytime drink. Also DH got scammed on his debit card when paying for a meal. First evening a bit off guard and the card was taken away out of sight just for a moment. Having problems with the machine they said. Yes right ?
Be on your guard but you will have an amazing time.

silverlining48 Thu 01-Sep-22 08:40:12

Thank you Ro. It was around that time of year.
A not to be forgotten experience.

Ro60 Wed 31-Aug-22 22:43:57

Santa Tecla is coming up. Silverlining this might be the one you were lucky enough to see. A carnival parade through the town - with sparks flying. - We all wear clothes that are not precious & pump type shoes to cover your feet. Then when the sparks come, you have to vigorously shake them of! ? just copy everyone else. Great experience.23 September this year - but do double check.

Dinahmo Wed 31-Aug-22 22:35:28

The first time we went to Barcelona we were on a camping trip - staying outside the city. I bought a kilo of figs in the market and when I returned to work in London I noticed that the price I paid for one kilo in Barcelona bought me one fig in London.

On that trip Gaudi wasn't as well known as he lately became. We got a map from the tourist office which showed 2 Parc Guells - in different places. We tried to get in, got to a dead end street with railing separating the park from the street. We gave up because it was too hot. In fact the tourist office wasn't particularly interested at that time - nearly 50 years ago. The second time we went was the 150th anniversary of his birth and so many more of his buildings were open.

The Gothic cathedral is lovely too. You must try tapas and sherry.

A taxi driver warned us about the pickpockets around the
Sagrada Familia although they were pretty obvious outside the tube station. There are lots of buses going up and down the Ramblas and beyond. I would recommend you look on line (or get a guide book) and work out what you really want to see. You don't have to see everything but it's good to know what you could see.
I hope that you have a lovely time. Please come back and tell us about it.

silverlining48 Wed 31-Aug-22 22:34:02

There I go, repeating myself again.
Enjoy your break and watch out for fireworks. smile

Ro60 Wed 31-Aug-22 22:33:41

I love Barcelona and did all of the above.
Before I read all the link l was going to say go to Sitges on the train. Then it's a short walk into the main area. My ex lives there & (yes, oddly) he's shown me round a few times.