Gransnet forums

Travel

October in Europe holidays

(38 Posts)
Rosie51 Sat 27-Aug-22 01:55:31

I'm attempting to plan a late October holiday to coincide with a wedding anniversary. Other significant anniversaries have had us celebrate in New York and further afield. This year I fancied something different. Any suggestions for a good European destination that won't require winter woollies? We love museums, galleries, ancient artefacts etc

vegansrock Sat 27-Aug-22 01:58:46

Sicily is still like summer in October and has plenty of cultural interest. Paphos in Cyprus is also worth a visit.

Grannytomany Sat 27-Aug-22 04:25:45

Italy. The lakes for scenery and boat trips or Umbria for places like Assisi and other hilltop towns with loads of cultural opportunities or Tuscany with similar oportunities. And mustn’t forget the Amalfi coast. I’ve been to all those in October and it’s been perfect sightseeing weather with fewer crowds.

Norah Sat 27-Aug-22 05:11:03

Viking River Cruise do a brilliant Portugal trip on the Doro. Autumn is perfect. We went in October.

Juliet27 Sat 27-Aug-22 06:30:04

As long as the drought hasn’t affected river levels I suppose.

Sago Sat 27-Aug-22 06:32:59

Porto or Lisbon, you could even combine the two.

Casdon Sat 27-Aug-22 07:45:39

My absolute favourite place which would fit what you’ve described you want perfectly is Florence. I haven’t been anywhere else as beautiful and packed with art, architecture and ambience.

J52 Sat 27-Aug-22 07:56:28

Casdon

My absolute favourite place which would fit what you’ve described you want perfectly is Florence. I haven’t been anywhere else as beautiful and packed with art, architecture and ambience.

I was just about to suggest Florence. It’s also easy to get to Pisa, San Gimignano and Siena from there.
All beautiful Cities.

NotSpaghetti Sat 27-Aug-22 08:36:28

Another for Italy here!
Rome if it's a short visit as so easy to get to and you can walk the city easily. Lots to do, fabulous back streets, less bustling than the summer. Hotels and restaurants to suit every budget. No need for a car.

If you want to travel a bit more I'd go further south to Puglia and Basilicata.
Spend a few days in Matera and visit the rupestrian churches - maybe stay in a cave hotel - then go over to Paestum where there are THREE fabulous ancient Greek temples and a great museum (and the best mozzarella ever).

Italy is fabulous.
Have a lovely celebratory time.

NotSpaghetti Sat 27-Aug-22 08:40:34

Of course Paestum is in Campania.

Framilode Sat 27-Aug-22 08:49:29

I would recommend Seville at that time of the year. It is such a beautiful city and there are other interesting places nearby.

Angela73 Sat 27-Aug-22 08:57:56

Ooh,yes, Seville is lovely!

Angela73 Sat 27-Aug-22 08:59:25

Fleurpepper Sat 27-Aug-22 09:09:25

I am surprised to see Tuscany and northern Italy mentionned here for late October- for someone who wants to avoid winter woolies tbh. Rome or Puglia, yes, or Amalfi coast.

I'd go for Sicily too, my favourite region being Ortigia in the SW or Cefalu in the NE.

Or Seville, yes, with a trip to Cordoba (by train, its great).

Angela73 Sat 27-Aug-22 09:10:43

There some photos of Seville there, but they’ve failed to appear!

Glorianny Sat 27-Aug-22 09:13:41

Go to Rhodes. Lovely weather, spectacular old town- think Knights Templar, Knights Hospitaller, middle ages. Lovely places to visit-Lindos, butterfly valley. And if you want a great day trip take a boat to Simi.
What date are you going? 28th October in Greece is Ochi Day. The day the Greek PM said "No" to the Germans. It's celebrated in all the towns with parades of schoolchildren etc.

Aveline Sat 27-Aug-22 09:14:06

So pleased to hear such positive things about Italy. We're off there in October too. Thanks Rosie for starting this thread. smile

Pittcity Sat 27-Aug-22 09:40:21

We're off to Seville in early October and are glad that it is much recommended. Cordoba and Cadiz are train trips we are looking forward to. Train travel is cheap and on time unlike at home!!

Angela73 Sat 27-Aug-22 09:43:13

Trying again with Seville photos grin

Angela73 Sat 27-Aug-22 09:43:34

Rosie51 Sat 27-Aug-22 09:46:38

Thanks all, some great suggestions.

CatsCatsCats Sat 27-Aug-22 09:47:46

Glorianny We're going to Rhodes in September. For a silly reason, I wasn't really looking forward to it, but your description of it has made me feel much better. Time to pack the gladrags!

Pittcity Sat 27-Aug-22 09:49:14

We've previously done Granada and a Mediterranean cruise including Montenegro, Corfu etc. in October. Lovely weather.

Casdon Sat 27-Aug-22 12:32:00

Fleurpepper

I am surprised to see Tuscany and northern Italy mentionned here for late October- for someone who wants to avoid winter woolies tbh. Rome or Puglia, yes, or Amalfi coast.

I'd go for Sicily too, my favourite region being Ortigia in the SW or Cefalu in the NE.

Or Seville, yes, with a trip to Cordoba (by train, its great).

Be warned though that the Amalfi coast is likely to see spells of very heavy rain at the end of October, the last time I was there the road between Sorrento and Amalfi was closed, which happens quite often in the winter months, and I thought Sorrento itself was a bit dull (apologies to Sorrento fans). The temperature in Florence averages about 18 degrees by the very end of October, but there’s so much to see even if it does rain that if you do get a wet day you won’t be bored - and the autumn markets in Tuscany are amazing. I don’t know Puglia, I’d agree about Rome, although I do prefer Florence, it’s not so full of traffic, so nicer to walk round. Rhodes is also a great choice. Wish I was going myself!

Norah Sat 27-Aug-22 14:25:18

Juliet27

As long as the drought hasn’t affected river levels I suppose.

I suppose, depends on the bus system. The Rhine was low a few years ago while we were on a cruise, we were driven in lovely buses, through beautiful countryside, around one low area of the river (near the Lorelei). Then back on the boat as if nothing happened.