Gransnet forums

Technology

Advice needed on an E Reader for my Mum!

(31 Posts)
choughdancer Fri 21-Oct-22 18:50:09

My Mum is 100 next week and has no experience of modern technology at all! The other day she was telling me that she has to use a magnifying glass to read books now, so I would like to buy an E Reader for her so that she can enlarge the print so that she can read more easily. I've been looking at reviews, trying to work out what is best to get. If I buy a Kindle she's tied into using Amazon, and because of their ethics I try to avoid Amazon.
I've looked at Nook, but it looks as if you can't download their books in the UK anymore, and Kobo.

I know that on Kindle you can only download Amazon books, but is that the same for all E Readers (that you can only download books from their company)?

I know that Gransnetters give wonderful advice, so I would welcome any help!

icanhandthemback Fri 21-Oct-22 19:04:17

I had a Kobo and it became a white elephant when they changed where you could download from. It went in the bin because nobody used it. I use an iPad where I can download books from my library for free and buy downloads from wherever I like.

kittylester Fri 21-Oct-22 19:19:32

What about audio books? Not sure a 100 year old would find an E Reader easy to use.

SueDonim Fri 21-Oct-22 19:22:35

Congratulations to your mum on her 100th! ?

I’d bite the bullet and get her a Kindle. It’s the easiest way to access books and it would be a marvellous gift.

M0nica Fri 21-Oct-22 19:46:13

Yes, I am someone who very firmly does not buy from Amazon, but my Kindle is the one exception. the one thing I would say, that ostensible as easy as it is to use, it has little quirks. Even my practically brand new one sometimes changes the font size for no obvious reason and occasionally turns over too many pages.

I second kittylester's suggestion and suggest you go for audio books.

Nannytopsy Fri 21-Oct-22 20:00:14

Love my Kindle and yes changing font size is important. You can get some free books and they have a library now for which you pay a subscription.

Lathyrus Fri 21-Oct-22 21:51:59

Is she using the Large Print books from the Library? My local library has a large selection.

My Grandmother had a magnifying sheet that you could lay over the whole page of a book.

Two alternative suggestions.

I had a Kindle when they first came out and I loved it. It died a sad death last year and I had an up to date version as a present but as MOnica says it has its quirks and I find it far too complicated and touch sensitive so I think your mother would find it quite difficult.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Oct-22 22:26:08

I have an old Kindle which is far easier to use than the newer Kindle with touch screen I was given as a present last Christmas.

Perhaps your mother might not cope with a newer Kindle if she is not used to technology at all.
She could, of course surprise you and become adept - do you know anyone who could lend her one for a trial?

Would large print books be too heavy for her? Or audio books? They annoy me but I know they're popular with many people.

DaisyAnne Fri 21-Oct-22 23:06:14

If you do decide to bite the bullet with Amazon I wonder if an Alexa Echo, which is a kindle reader, might work for her. You could set it up and put some audio books on. She would then only have to say "Alexa read xyz". My son got one for his dad, and he uses it for books.

It does mean that, if necessary, they can "drop in" (once it is set up) and check he is okay or have a chat, too. He can also see them and our grandchildren.

M0nica Fri 21-Oct-22 23:09:48

Could you borrow a Kindle from someone to see how she gets on with it before you commit yourself to buying on?

DaisyAnne Fri 21-Oct-22 23:14:17

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU5etwj6XI0

This might be useful as it shows the different ways to access the book. Don't forget your own Alexa if that is still your command word and it's in the room with you!

choughdancer Sat 22-Oct-22 09:07:41

Thanks so much; some really useful information and advice! She definitely still wants to actually read books, so audio books might not suit her (yet!). Borrowing a Kindle to try out is an excellent idea, too. Callistemon21, that information is SO useful! I've seen some pre-owned ones on ebay, so may go for one of those. Both of the other brands I've looked at have not impressed, so like you MOnica, I may make an exception to my Amazon boycott!
Callistemon, could you tell me exactly which one you have; that would be so helpful.

grannysyb Sat 22-Oct-22 09:21:52

You can download books from libby onto a kindle. Libby is run by libraries.

MandL Sat 22-Oct-22 09:54:36

Kindle is the one e-reader that can’t be used with Libby. It’s to do with licensing rights.

henetha Sat 22-Oct-22 10:30:23

My ancient Kindle has been wonderful, especially if I can't get to the library. Amazon have such a huge selection of books to choose from.

Islecat Sat 22-Oct-22 10:40:25

I have a Kindle Fire on which I can download books from the local library, free, no charges.

Nannarose Sat 22-Oct-22 10:46:53

I'm with M0nica.

I have looked hard and long, and nothing is as simple, or has anywhere near the size of Library that Kindle does.

Amazon does give some authors a decent boost by putting them in Kindle Unlimited, and I have found authors who would have struggled to publish under the old systems.

I also note that most of my friends who use Kindle also buy books, new & second-hand, and use their libraries - you can't keep book lovers down! I realise that doesn't apply to you mum, who wants it for ease (and it is!)

I also note that as I get older, especially if a bit under the weather, I want to find old favourites on Kindle (usually free or cheap).

Whilst I don't want to persuade you against your ethics, my personal take is that we do the best we can. And I think that at 100, you get a free pass (I'm hoping!)

choughdancer Sat 22-Oct-22 10:59:58

Nannarose I think that is very good advice! If I buy something that isn't easy to use, it will be a waste of money, and if I buy a second hand Kindle, at least I won't be 'supporting' Amazon initially. Thank you!

SueDonim Sat 22-Oct-22 11:17:34

I have a now-older paperwhite Kindle. That means it’s back lit so you can read without a light on - that might be useful if these rolling power cuts come to pass this winter

Glorianny Sat 22-Oct-22 11:28:36

I'd make sure your mum is happy with one first. My mum was given one when she broke her arm and couldn't hold a book. We noticed she seemed to use it less and less. Eventually when asked she said it was very annoying and it kept putting her to sleep. We realised then that she had always dozed (although she denied it) and whereas her book remained open at the same page the Kindle turned off!

MandL Sat 22-Oct-22 11:50:52

Islecat

I have a Kindle Fire on which I can download books from the local library, free, no charges.

You are right, Islecat- the kindle fire does work with the library catalogue but it is the only kindle that does.
Sorry, I was trying not to over complicate things!

Airedale19 Sat 22-Oct-22 11:59:49

You can also change the style of font on a kindle as well its size. Some fonts are easier to read than others. The less fancy, the better.

sandelf Sat 22-Oct-22 12:03:40

I have a Kobo and use it with Overdrive to read books from my library. Different local authorities use different systems for E-books, so I'd check first your Library's e-book system. I think she'd find browsing and downloading a bit confusing (it would be very easy to pay for books she didn't really mean to) - so it would depend on you assisting her every few days I guess. But if you can do that it's a good idea. Might help if you both had the same reader then you'd get to know the little wrinkles yourselft.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 22-Oct-22 13:33:10

The first time I used a Kindle (when they first came out) I tried to ‘turn the page’ and flung it across the floor! It survived.

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Oct-22 14:01:43

choughdancer

Thanks so much; some really useful information and advice! She definitely still wants to actually read books, so audio books might not suit her (yet!). Borrowing a Kindle to try out is an excellent idea, too. Callistemon21, that information is SO useful! I've seen some pre-owned ones on ebay, so may go for one of those. Both of the other brands I've looked at have not impressed, so like you MOnica, I may make an exception to my Amazon boycott!
Callistemon, could you tell me exactly which one you have; that would be so helpful.

choughdancer, my newer one is a Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation) bought last year, I think.
It has a light and is touch screen.

The old one is just a Kindle, 2011 vintage with push buttons. Easier to use but I'm not sure if they're available now.

If you can borrow one first that might be helpful.