Gransnet forums

Technology

Epsom

(9 Posts)
ExDancer Tue 23-Aug-22 11:06:05

I just got this email
I am in my 80s and don't know how to deal with this - its a very old printer I have to admit, and the cartridges are expensive. I really have no idea what they're talking about.
Would it be best to get another printer, (not another Epsom) or shall I try the library? But I'm not sure how I could write a letter at home and print it in the library - is that even possible? I can print photos at my local Boots.
I'm so ignorant of technology this has really thrown me.
--------------------
*Customer notice - firmware update needed
T080 inkjet cartridge printer compatibility
Hello Mrs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At Epson we always aim to give our customers the best printing experience and quality of ink. Due to the discontinuation of a component currently used within T080 (Hummingbird) ink cartridges, it has been necessary to re-design the cartridge. As a result, your printer may no longer be compatible with these inks and a firmware update may be required so that the new re-designed ink cartridge can be recognised by the printer.
Whether it is necessary to update the printer firmware depends on the firmware version you have.*

MerylStreep Tue 23-Aug-22 11:17:11

ExDancer
When you say write a letter do you mean an email. If so, it’s very simple at the library but make sure you know all your pass words.
Also, the staff are very helpful.

volver Tue 23-Aug-22 11:34:49

Hi ExDancer

Firmware updates for anything can usually be done over the internet. Do you have someone to help you with your PC and so on? Even a local PC guy? I'd ask them to take a look and see if you need the update and if they can do it for you. They might even be able to do it remotely!

Marydoll is usually good at advising about these kind of things!

Farmor15 Tue 23-Aug-22 12:17:22

If you still have ink in your cartridges you can continue to use them till they run out - then consider your options. If you only print the occasional letter, the library may be the easiest way.

Teacheranne Tue 23-Aug-22 12:23:31

If you want to print something at the library, simply email the document to yourself then open your emails at the library and find the email you sent yourself. The staff at my library are very helpful with sorting out computer issues.

If you save documents in the iCloud then you can access them from any computer.

ExDancer Tue 23-Aug-22 12:32:26

No I mean sending a printed paper letter, like we used to send using a typewriter Meryl, using a word processor programme like 'Word'. Those are about the only things I need to print.
I don't know any local PC guys - where do I find one.
I have a feeling the message from Epsom may be another scam. I'm getting very suspicious these days, I've googled Epsom Ink Problems, and there's no mention of it.

MayBee70 Tue 23-Aug-22 12:43:14

Welcome to my world ExDancer. I’m having problems with my tv and computer and someone came to my house and sorted out several problems that have been ongoing (couldn’t fix the computer so that’s gone for repair or replacement). I just need someone in my life that can solve technical problems that I agonise over but they can sort out in a nano second! Eg he looked at my iPad, clicked on one thing and solved a problem I’ve been having for ages. Maybe Epson have a helpline? When I get my computer back I need to get my printer working. I bought a cheaper cartridge a while back and it said I had to do something to the computer so it would recognise the cartridge, but I never worked out how to do it. A new PowerPoint adapter I’ve bought has to be introduced to another one so it recognises it. The engineer says it’s called ‘ shaking hands’! I get so frustrated by my lack of technical knowledge.

volver Tue 23-Aug-22 12:58:23

ExDancer

No I mean sending a printed paper letter, like we used to send using a typewriter Meryl, using a word processor programme like 'Word'. Those are about the only things I need to print.
I don't know any local PC guys - where do I find one.
I have a feeling the message from Epsom may be another scam. I'm getting very suspicious these days, I've googled Epsom Ink Problems, and there's no mention of it.

To be honest ExDancer I did think it sounded a bit like a scam.

As Farmor15 says, just keep going until you have run out of ink. Maybe the people you buy your cartridges from would know something about what to do when you do run out?

You could find an IT guy either by visiting a local shop that offers this kind of service, or just google what's available in the area. Where I live a couple of people have set up in business for themselves after leaving big companies.

Or, once you have run out of ink, treat yourself to a new printer! They are pretty economical to buy these days smile

MarleneOnTheWall Wed 24-Aug-22 15:05:06

Firmware is a specific class of computer software that provides the control for a device e.g. a printer.

This is an imaginary example but think of it like your washing machine which also has computer software (firmware) embedded in it. This controls all the different wash programmes and spin cycles you can chose from. If the manufacturers decided to offer an additional function, say an even cooler economy wash cycle or a faster spin speed to save on tumble dryer running costs, it would need a firmware update. In practice that doesn’t happen as our washing machines aren’t capable of being hooked up to our computers and wifi systems to be able to do so, but I hope this helps to understand what firmware does.

In other words, keeping firmware up to date can be a good idea to take advantage of new functions but isn’t always essential or compulsory. Indeed in some cases, it’s best not to. For example, I know there was an issue with one Epson firmware update which prevented people from using compatible cartridges, for example, if they were buying less expensive non-Epson brands. There was a workaround for this by making sure that automatic firmware updates were switched off and the one which prevented the use of generic brands was not installed.

From the Epson website, I see there HAS been a redesigned of cartridges which affects T080 Hummingbird and others. It says this:

For a limited range of consumer inks, the Epson ‘Low Ink’ communication in the printer status monitor has changed. For impacted ink cartridges, you will no longer receive ink low warnings. Additionally, when the ink cartridge needs replacing, the following message will be displayed: “Ink cartridge cannot be recognised”. At this point the cartridge should be replaced in the normal way.

You may experience different ink level messaging from each of the Epson ink cartridges in the printer at any one time, depending on the cartridge production date.

The graphic display in the status monitor will still enable remaining ink levels to be checked and monitored until the cartridge needs replacing and you will still be able to enjoy the high quality, high reliability of Epson genuine ink, which is not impacted by this change.

www.epson.co.uk/ils

Long story short, I too have doubts about the origins of that email. From what I see on Epson's own website, I don’t think you need to do anything other than be aware that unless you check your status monitor regularly you may run out of ink without having seen a low ink warning.

I agree with volver to wait and seek advice next time you run out of ink.

If you decide you would like a new printer, the Epson EcoTank models are very economical to run. Initial outlay is more expensive but the ink, which you tip from bottles into tanks hence the name, lasts for a very long time. I don’t print photos with mine but most reviews I have seen which compare photos printed on an Epson EcoTank printer with third party services are favourable.