Gransnet forums

Technology

I’ve broken my computer

(20 Posts)
MayBee70 Sun 14-Aug-22 22:04:13

With my catchup tv not working TalkTalk sent me a new tv box. I fitted it but then nothing worked. Put the old box back and at least I could get the tv to work again. But today I tried moving the computer downstairs so the router was closer to the tv and now my computer doesn’t work. Thankfully my iPad still works but all of my photos are on the main computer. Currently away from home but travelling back each day to try to get everything to work. I get so angry at not being able to sort stuff like this out. (Apologies…just needed a rant!)

Humbertbear Sun 14-Aug-22 22:15:03

There’s nothing wrong with the computer - it’s your WiFi network. When you do get access to your computer, buy an external hard drive and copy all your photos to it or upload them to the cloud.

MayBee70 Sun 14-Aug-22 22:20:27

It says video driver init failure. At least I still have all the memory cards of my photos! I should have just left it alone.

BlueBelle Sun 14-Aug-22 22:23:50

I totally agree maybee my kids bought me a new smart TV 18 months ago I ve never been as comfortable with it as my old one
A couple of months ago I was watching with the remote miles away from me, when the tv just turned itself off, I got up got the remote tried switching on …nothing Left it a bit tried again nothing, did the switch off at the wall and wait etc, tried again and it came on, whooppee watched for a few minutes then suddenly it started changing channels by itself, really spooky it was changing faster and faster Again I switched it all off waited ten mins switched on again, absolutely nothing, I rang the company and was told I d have to pay £90 which would be returned to me if they found it wasn’t my fault !!! Anyway I got my previous tv back downstairs and happily watched that for a few weeks then asked my daughter if she’d just check it definitely wasn’t working before I paid all that money out
Yes you’ve guess she plugged in and it was perfect and has been fine ever since !!!

Missedout Sun 14-Aug-22 23:03:09

You haven't said whether you put your WiFi password into your new TV box. It is possible that you may need to re-enter your WiFi password into your computer too after having turned it off to move it. Did your computer work OK before you moved it? Does your computer still turn on? Are there any messages on screen?

Missedout Sun 14-Aug-22 23:08:21

Meant to add that if your iPad works OK, your WiFi network must be OK unless you have an iPad that uses a SIM for internet connectivity.

MayBee70 Sun 14-Aug-22 23:22:50

Missedout

You haven't said whether you put your WiFi password into your new TV box. It is possible that you may need to re-enter your WiFi password into your computer too after having turned it off to move it. Did your computer work OK before you moved it? Does your computer still turn on? Are there any messages on screen?

It says video driver input failure.

MayBee70 Sun 14-Aug-22 23:28:30

Missedout

There’s nowhere to put a Wi-Fi code into. It isn’t a box that you record anything with. It just connects to the router ( at least, that’s what it’s supposed to do!)

Missedout Mon 15-Aug-22 00:26:48

What says 'video driver input failure' - the TV or does it show up on the new tv box somewhere? I think this means the TV isn't getting a signal from the video (new TV box).

Apologies I've mislead you - you need to make sure the TV can see the TV box (depends on which HDMI port you connect the new TV box to on your TV as well as plugging in the power switch) before adding the WiFi code. Are you connecting the new TV box to the same port on the TV as the old box?

I would contact TalkTalk. They should be able to talk you through the set up of their tv box but have your TV manual handy when you ring them because they may need more information about your tv set menu. If there is a major fault on the new box (driver failure could mean trouble) they can replace it.

None of this helps with your computer not working after moving it though. Sorry, I hope you get help with this soon.

MayBee70 Mon 15-Aug-22 00:51:18

I’ve had an ongoing discussion with TalkTalk for two weeks both on the phone, the internet and on messenger. The tech people say the good news is that I’ve been passed on to a ‘manager’ which seems to mean that they haven’t got the faintest idea what to do. Thus far the ‘manager’ hasn’t contacted me. That’s why I got so frustrated and moved the computer and router because I think my booster isn’t powerful enough to link the tv downstairs to the router which is upstairs: as is the phone line. I contacted a company that says they can send out people to sort out your technical problems but they’ve just replied that they have no one available to help me! On top of that talktalk are threatening to fine me if I don’t return the original tv box to them but without that I don’t even have a tv. I’ve complained to the CEO and asked why they used to send engineers out if there was a problem.

Missedout Mon 15-Aug-22 01:07:28

Crossed posts - can you look up the link given on screen on your iPad?

Did your old tv box just have a cable between it and your router (as well as being plugged into a power socket)? Is the router near to your TV? You need to establish that connection again.

I assume the router is TalkTalk's too. I think you need to pester TalkTalk or see if you can find someone locally to help you. Without looking at your various connections, router cables, aerials and set-up, I think there are just too many possibilities. I can see how some combinations could mess up moving your computer as well. I hope you get this fixed soon.

MayBee70 Mon 15-Aug-22 01:26:50

This is why it’s impossible talking to their tech team on the internet because they don’t seem to be interested in where everything is! The last time an engineer came out ( many years ago) he gave me a new booster: you now have to buy them at £25 each! The tv box can’t get through to the router. I should have tried moving the tv closer to the router rather than the other way round. In fact I was going to do that but something stopped me: can’t remember what. Brains getting frazzled!

Katie59 Mon 15-Aug-22 07:35:15

I can usually sort things out but last week it defeated me so took it to the local computer shop. £30 he sorted everything, now working better than ever and bang up to date.

MayBee70 Mon 15-Aug-22 10:01:25

I’m going to phone the computer shop where I got the computer from to sort that out but have found an ex BT engineer who can help with the tv etc. The reason I haven’t switched from TalkTalk before is that I was worried about being without a computer for a while! The ongoing lack of help from talktalk has been driving me nuts.

Katek Mon 15-Aug-22 10:03:13

I was about to suggest something similar to Katie59 - try local aerial/Sky installers, they’re very clued up. They also come to the house!

MayBee70 Mon 15-Aug-22 10:45:18

The thing is TalkTalk should be sorting the problem! All they’re doing is threatening to fine me for not returning the old tv box!

Elegran Mon 15-Aug-22 10:53:34

MayBee said that "It says video driver init failure." not input failure. That is short for initiation failure, so it has failed to initiate the video driver. I believe that would work all the visuals - that is, it would turn on the screen and show stuff on it.

Elegran Mon 15-Aug-22 10:59:04

Bluebelle My TV goes daft like that if I haven't watched it for several weeks/months. It is catching up with all the links that have lapsed while it was out of use. Maybe your new TV was getting all its links up to date.

Elegran Mon 15-Aug-22 11:00:59

Maybee Tell them you are keeping the old box and returning the new one, as it seems not to be working - they can come and collect it as soon as they like. or come and make it work. Their choice.

MayBee70 Mon 15-Aug-22 11:13:09

My first thought, when I saw init failure was why blame the eskimos (it was very hot and I was very tired!). I’m travelling home now to see if there’s anything I can do. I have threatened to contact my MP. They don’t know that she and I have been having a long running battle ( she’s a Boris Babe) and I wouldn’t dream of asking her for help! Now I’ve found an engineer I don’t feel quite as stressed. Even though it’s going to cost me!