Gransnet forums

Technology

Internet misunderstandings

(51 Posts)
hopeful1 Thu 26-Apr-18 16:15:18

Have any of you ever done something on the internet you shouldn't?
I recently decided that I was fed up with walking alone trying to achieve some sort of fitness, so I decided to look on line for like-minded people to walk with. I found a site for fitness buddies and duly filled in the application giving age, rough location and a little speech introducing myself. I imagined I would get replies from ladies of a certain age who would enjoy a good walk and chat and hoping to make friends. What I did get was men.. the latest one sent me a message and a ropy picture of himself, he wanted someone to go on walks "and more", whatever that is, and, if I came up to scratch, to "share weekends away in his caravan". OMG lucky me.... I DID NOT THINK. Back to Gransnet I think, so much safer.

kittylester Thu 26-Apr-18 17:32:54

Yuck!!

Lots of places now have walking groups set up by local councils (I think) can you join one of those?

BlueBelle Thu 26-Apr-18 17:57:14

Nhs do walks in some places I used to run some in our town There are also park runs in nearly every town and people walk these as well as run We have a few walkers here including a very elderly lady who uses a stick but walks the full distance every week

Willow500 Thu 26-Apr-18 18:16:47

Not on the internet but many years ago when I was very naive I put an ad in the local paper for a job - anything considered - needless to say the replies were not quite what I had in mind grin

Situpstraight Fri 27-Apr-18 08:40:24

I play Words with Friends, I hit a spell ( see what I did there?) when I was waiting for my friends to make their move. So I took up the offer of random players. Hmmm anonymous names and very ‘chatty’ with personal questions I resigned a lot of games and now have learnt to be patient with my friends. They are all out there guys! Lurking....

grannyactivist Fri 27-Apr-18 10:13:31

Hmm, this got me pondering............do we think that in the same way there are women who lurk out there awaiting unsavoury contact with innocent men?

Situpstraight Fri 27-Apr-18 11:36:45

?

yggdrasil Fri 27-Apr-18 12:45:17

Hopefull, try U3A They often have walking groups without benefit :-)

Lovetopaint037 Sat 28-Apr-18 08:50:52

This made me laugh but does it mean you have to change your walks to avoid this lovely man? Hope not.

Maidmarion Sat 28-Apr-18 09:08:09

Doctors' surgeries often have healthy walking groups - I belong to one! Have a look at your surgery!

GrannyBettie Sat 28-Apr-18 09:10:33

dear oh dear. I would echo the U3A recommendation. Ours has a number of [genuine] walking groups.

Pamaga Sat 28-Apr-18 09:21:08

Situpstraight the same thing happened to me with Words With Friends. Sadly I now ignore any invitations from men to play the game. They clearly don't have word games in mind. Such a shame as I am sure there are some genuine people out there who enjoy WWF.

Mauriherb Sat 28-Apr-18 09:39:41

Yes I'm another Words with Friends player, I've often been challenged to play by men who clearly are not interested in the game! Often widowed doctors (yeah right) so as soon as they start chatting I block them. I've never reported any of them

Blinko Sat 28-Apr-18 09:48:20

What is it with some men? Are they stupid or do they think we are?

Singlegrannie Sat 28-Apr-18 09:49:04

I do have a few Words with Friends male opponents that I have accepted game requests from. It soon becomes clear whether or not it's the game they are interested in. In response to personal questions I either immediately resign or tell them that I will only chat about the game, and then they withdraw !

sandelf Sat 28-Apr-18 10:00:58

I haven't quite done that - but I have 'commented' intemperately on FB posts. Trying to stay reasonable on the interwebby now!

BlueBelle Sat 28-Apr-18 10:11:57

I play with all sorts of strangers on Words with friends most are fine but some men (always American in my case) want to ‘talk’ etc I usually ignore them and if you ignore their chat a few times they usually resign thus keeping your record it tact I never resign I don’t want to harm my record and I have no problems with them they can t ‘find’ me and do anything more than try and engage in chat
Just a very mild annoyance

GabriellaG Sat 28-Apr-18 10:20:54

Hopefull
Hmm, I think you find many more men than women on social sites and they, more often than not, are looking for 'extras', unlike women who value companionship more at our age (apologies to GNers who seek more)
Can I suggest Meetup, a worldwide site which has thousands of clubs within it, each of which is affiliated and has organisers who offer every interest from photography to parachuting, am dram to zoology.
It costs on average £1 per meet up you attend (covers cost of website and organisers planning trips etc.) There are holidays and hill walking, tea parties and brunches, bowling and well, you name it and it's there. There are bound to be many groups in your area, some are soley for women.
Google MeetUp and see for yourself. I belong to a photography group, biik club, walking group and many more. Beginners to pros, something for absolutely everyone. As far as I'm concerned, it's safe and very enjoyable. Don't be put off by one weirdo.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Apr-18 10:22:33

Tried that but nothing happening in my area

EEJit Sat 28-Apr-18 10:28:46

It's not only you ladies that get THOSE type of requests. I'm on Facebook and run a local photo group.

I've lost count of the number of 'ladies' who send friend requests to my page.

All declined blocked and barred.

blueberry1 Sat 28-Apr-18 10:45:13

Have you tried asking at your local library?They often have details of genuine groups.

Margs Sat 28-Apr-18 10:51:44

What goes on in the minds of these weirdy men who trawl the internet looking for opportunities to make dodgy propositions to women?

IMHO, they're probably sad, desperate and perverted 'Mummy's Boys' who are quite unable to establish and sustain a platonic relationship with any woman. All they apparently want is the "and more!" bit.......don't go near the pathetic twits with a bargepole.

annifrance Sat 28-Apr-18 11:37:34

Oh heaven's Margs, that immediately sent up warning bells for incel groups.

lizzypopbottle Sat 28-Apr-18 11:55:03

I was a member of a light hearted forum for teachers a fair time ago. One of the games was to post a sequence of pictures to illustrate a well known phrase or song title e.g. one of mine was, 'Happy birthday to you, squashed tomatoes and stew, bread and butter in the gutter etc.' Forum members had to work it out then post the answer, followed by their own picture sequence. Searching Google images for an apparently innocent word or phrase is an absolute minefield! For some reason, long forgotten, I searched 'hot men'. If you're easily shocked, please don't try that one!

Cambia Sat 28-Apr-18 12:06:00

Very naively when looking for something to fill our drive, I typed in Hard Core.............My mouth fell open at the following connected links and I couldn’t close the laptop down quickly enough!!!! Much more careful now what I type in!!!