Gransnet forums

Technology

When does your computer become obsolete?

(76 Posts)
jack Tue 24-Apr-12 12:43:04

I have spent nearly three hours trying to get Virgin protection ( no - not that sort!) and ended up talking to a nice man in New Delhi who ordered - yes, ordered! - me to buy a new computer immediately.

My PC is only 7 years old, I yelped. He was dumbfounded. Then I realised it is actually 8 years old. And I have to admit it is very, very slow.

So how long have you managed to keep yours going, gransnetters? And what on earth am I going to buy now (presuming I can afford a new one)? shock

Bags Tue 24-Apr-12 13:02:19

When it no longer does the job you want it to do — same as any other machine. I think our iMac must be seven years old now. It'll be fine for a good while yet. We do keep updating applications.

susiecb Tue 24-Apr-12 13:53:38

I think speed lack of it that is the problem and space. Ours is about 7 years old very slow and we are planning a new one and a new desk/study area as we plan to go to 2 laptops which take up less space and are portable. DH likes HP (not sauce)!

grannyactivist Tue 24-Apr-12 14:05:00

I have a new laptop, but our family computer is an antique in computer terms. We'll keep it going until we can't update/upgrade it anymore.

PoppaRob Wed 25-Apr-12 06:47:22

Whenever mine dies (usually every 7 or 8 years) I go to a bigger computer shop and ask what old system boxes they have that they'd let go cheap. Instead of paying AUD$1400 or so for a full system with the latest whiz bang innards I've usually been able to get something serviceable for around AUD$400

absentgrana Wed 25-Apr-12 07:11:14

I buy state of the art Macs which become state of the ark within about six months.[Grin]

glammanana Wed 25-Apr-12 09:03:33

I've had my laptop for 3 yrs and have still not got to grips with it grin but I'm working on it blush

Libradi Wed 25-Apr-12 09:35:34

Jack my computer is about 7 years old too, I'm nursing it along and hope it will carry on for a little while yet smile

Ariadne Wed 25-Apr-12 12:31:15

Like susiecb we have gone to laptops only, with an updated wireless system. We both realised that, when we worked and were given laptops, we had both asked the tech departments to take away the PC tower systems, and worked from our laptops alone. So it seemed sensible to do that at home; I already had my laptop so now DH has one as well. And it is much neater as far as wires etc are concerned.

Mind you, for a lot of the time I sit here with my lovely iPad. Have just found out, by the way, that you can run PowerPoint presentations from it!

Anne58 Wed 25-Apr-12 17:54:45

Very timely thread, thanks Jack !

Our desktop in the upstairs office is practically too slow to use, we bought it in 2005 or 6, not sure which. I am currently using the "company" laptop, which I will have to give back next week.

We had been looking at either upgrading or replacing the upstairs PC, and ater seeking advice (from the I.T. chap where I used to work) decided that replacing was the best option.

Unfortunately I left Mr P. alone late at night with the laptop and a debit card, and he ordered a new one. The wrong one. Until we send it back (which will probably cost money to do) we are stuffed. (Financially, and possibly access wise, if my ex-boss suddenly demands return of the laptop.)

jack Wed 25-Apr-12 18:33:05

It's comforting to know I'm not alone in struggling along with an ancient PC (it took 20 minutes to log on and boot up and get into Word this morning!).

The next question is what to get next. A new tower? An all-in-one PC? Or a laptop?

DH has a laptop (linked to the main PC through WiFi) but it's very noisy (it puffs all the time). It is probably getting on a bit as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anne58 Wed 25-Apr-12 18:38:38

All I can say is, if you are not planning on doing any on-line gaming, you do not need an 8gb memory! You also should not order a PC that does not come with an operating system (i.e. Windows 7) so that you have to order, pay for and install that separately!

Are you listening Mr P?!

jack Wed 25-Apr-12 19:00:16

Thanks phoenix. Is that gaming as in gambling? Or gaming as in playing computer games?

And are you saying Windows 7 does not have an operating system? Sorry. I'm a bit confused. confused

Anne58 Wed 25-Apr-12 19:52:58

jack , gaming as in playing computer games, not having the odd flutter with your William Hill account!

Windows 7 is an operating system, Mr P chose to order a PC that came without it, meaning that you have to buy it separately and install it! He is a numpty sometimes. hmm

jack Wed 25-Apr-12 20:37:23

What's a numpty phoenix? Sometimes I feel like an innocent abroad on this site ...

Hattie64 Thu 26-Apr-12 19:59:28

My old PC died a death, had a virus, everything wiped, so after all my family grumbling about the slowness of the damn thing, I decided to get a laptop instead, which is certainly tidier than my old tower. I have Windows 7, a bit odd to start with, and a 17" screen, as it will sit permanently on my desk. I have an Ipad to carry around the house and elsewhere.
I like my laptop, still have a bit of a problem typing on it, and do use a mouse which I consider easier than the sliding thingie. The best thing is it is fast!!! My old pc used to take ages to fire up.

Anne58 Thu 26-Apr-12 20:54:19

Hello jack , numpty is a word I use for idiot, daft 'apporth, barmpot, whatever the local vernacular might be. My translation would be "you bloody daft stupid thing, didn't you think that through before you actually did it? Or perhaps "OK you went to the shop, you only needed 3 things, but you came back without 1 of them, " Hopefully you get the gist?

I suppose it's one of those words that no one should be able to take offence at. As opposed to other words that I am tempted to use!

jeni Thu 26-Apr-12 21:15:28

Oh dear! phoenix is this one of those " I told you so! " moments?
They can be SO exasperating ,can't they?
MEN!!!!

Anagram Thu 26-Apr-12 21:20:59

Isn't it funny how some words, such as 'numpty', are commonplace and well known in certain parts of the country and not in others? When I first met OH twenty years ago, he'd never heard of 'wittering on', even though we'd actually grown up not far from each other....confused

jeni Thu 26-Apr-12 21:36:53

Wittering?
That's what I'm accused of doing all the time
What's wrong with it, I want to know!
If I want to witter
Why am I not allowed to witter?

It is my freedom of speech to witter!

GNetters,unite!

We demand the right to witter!

It is a prerogative of grandmothers!

Boudicca, where is the chariot?

March!!!

glassortwo Thu 26-Apr-12 21:50:27

jeni I am told I witter grin

phoenix think you were very reserved in your choice of numpty grin

jeni Thu 26-Apr-12 22:46:57

Right!
Tomorrow!
I start a 'right to witter party thread'
Too tired tonight.

glassortwo Thu 26-Apr-12 22:54:34

Go jeni grin

Annobel Thu 26-Apr-12 23:49:55

I bought this nice, fast, reconditioned Sony Vaio laptop from Ebay about three years ago. it has the much maligned Vista system which - touch wood - has given me no trouble. At the moment it suits me very well, although I have failed to teach it to talk to my printer remotely, so have to traipse upstairs and attach the USB connection.

NannaAnna Fri 27-Apr-12 00:29:46

I converted to Apple about 2 and a half years ago, and love my MacBook. Nothing on earth will ever persuade me to change to anything else ever again. It does everything I need and lots more that I will never need, and so far nothing has become obsolete. I hope it will go on being fit for purpose for a good few years yet, as they are not cheap!