Gransnet forums

Technology

Help with granddaughters research project?

(22 Posts)
MaryGran Wed 18-Jan-12 16:07:38

Hello all,

My granddaughter is currently working for her dissertation at Nottingham University. Her research topic is of quite a lot of relevance here I believe- she is investigating how the Internet is shaping intergenerational relationships between GP's and GC's in todays society.

Could anyone offer any words of wisdom on the role the internet plays in communication with your GC's? Do you email or 'Skype'? Or is technology causing a generational divide?

Thanks for your help, all responses will be completely anonymous in her write up!

Carol Wed 18-Jan-12 16:10:19

MaryGran there's another thread full of anecdotes about how we email and text our grandchildren - I can't remember the name of the thread, but some other Grandnetters will, I'm sure.

MaryGran Wed 18-Jan-12 16:39:07

Thanks Carol. Yes if anyone does know the thread name please let me know, any idea what topic it was under?

Notsogrand Wed 18-Jan-12 16:49:12

There was an online thing about this, linked to GN MaryGran. It was a survey (promoted by Vodaphone?) Quite a few of us filled in the survey, someone's memory about it may be better than mine! Or HQ should be able to give you more details. There were lots of questions in the survey that relate to your GD's research. Good luck. smile

Carol Wed 18-Jan-12 17:05:12

I types email grandchildren in the search box and all those Vodafone surveys came up at the bottom of the list, but there was another thread, too.

yogagran Wed 18-Jan-12 22:58:33

Try putting "skype" into the search box.

Personally I feel that the internet is a huge help in keeping in touch with DGC and that we are experts with the modern technology.
I think that I am more in touch with my GC than I was with my own grandparents on both the level of personal communication and the frequency of contact as well.

Carol Wed 18-Jan-12 23:05:18

Although I don't talk to my young grandchildren on Facebook, I can look at photos of them minutes after they have been taken. I only have close family and a couple of friends on there, but it's more than enough and I get to see what my grandchildren have been doing several times a week.

I send text messages and emails to my 11 year old grandson, and he doesn't reply because it's not really cool, but he always remembers what I have written.

Greatnan Thu 19-Jan-12 02:06:53

I think the thread was called 'Do you use your facebook to talk to your gc' or something similar.
I replied that I did not because I felt it inhibited my teenaged GC friends to know their Nan was listening to the banter, which is often very rude! They have asked me to be their 'friend' and I can see their photos but if I have anything to say I put it in a pm.
My daughter in NZ uses Skype to speak to her DIL and her two little grand-daughters once a week. Her son is very shy and awkward on camera, so he just pops his head in to say 'Hello'.

grannyactivist Thu 19-Jan-12 02:10:36

Hi MaryGran. Just a thought, but obviously those of us on GN are already at least minimally proficient with internet usage and social networking so our responses are not necessarily representative of GPs as a whole.
I email and Skype. My grandson, aged just 2, also hands his mother the phone and tells her 'talk granny' when he wants to speak to me. grin

MaryGran Thu 16-Feb-12 15:35:41

Thanks for your help Grans. Sadly the Vodaphone data is private, but your thoughts so far have been helpful.
If anyone could possibly answer a couple more questions that would be very helpful!

How influential were your younger family members in getting you online and joining networking sites such as this? Did you feel pressure to start using the internet?

Does anyone feel strongly that the internet shouldn't be used for GP-GC communication?

Carol Thu 16-Feb-12 15:50:35

Private??

MaryGran Thu 16-Feb-12 15:56:16

I spoke to HQ and as it was done by the company Gransnet cannot give me permission for my grand daughter to use it in her dissertation.

Carol Thu 16-Feb-12 15:59:25

That seems rather a waste of her time doing the research?

MaryGran Thu 16-Feb-12 16:22:09

I think her dissertation is all about getting information yourself. She has done lots of interviews face to face with people, this thread was just a means of getting a few more opinions from those more internet savvy such as the Gransnetters. Sorry if its a bit confusing

tanith Thu 16-Feb-12 16:55:49

I use Facebook , e-mail and texting to keep in contact with my children and all the grandchildren.
I had the internet at home before any of them so it was me encouraging them a few years ago. Then we gradually all joined Facebook and then Skype so keep in touch all the time.. they are always texting about one thing or an other... I think its wonderful .

marina3 Tue 30-Aug-22 18:05:43

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

silverlining48 Tue 30-Aug-22 19:00:02

This post is 10 years old. No doubt the dissertation was completed at that time.

silverlining48 Tue 30-Aug-22 19:02:20

Reported

Jaylou Tue 30-Aug-22 19:04:16

This is the 3rd resurrected thread in 15 minutes. Please see my post

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1314904-Watch-out-spammers-about

ElaineI Tue 30-Aug-22 19:17:49

I use iMessage, and FaceTime with my grandchildren age 8, 5 and 4. The older one answers me but the younger 2 just look at pictures. They all use FaceTime and are excited when they can see Granny and Papa especially if they have something important they want to tell us.
I was already fairly proficient in using emails, internet, mobiles etc. DH and DSil keep us all up to date though.
FaceTime was invaluable during the lockdowns and when family have had covid (unfortunately again for 2nd time) for us all to keep in touch. Fortunately we all live fairly near each other and do childcare for both DDs but I imagine if we did not live near enough for frequent visits then we would use FaceTime frequently.

ElaineI Tue 30-Aug-22 19:19:59

For goodness sake - just noticed this is a reported old thread!

littleflo Wed 31-Aug-22 12:29:14

In our case the internet has been a wonderful link between us and out grandchildren. We do online games with them , story telling, as well as exchanging jokes. We also help with homework projects .They send us news of their school work and their sport achievements. It is really satisfying to send them ‘well done’ of ‘good luck’ messages.

One of the best things for me is the the grandchildren have more patience and time to teach us the technology than my DH or children.