Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wigging it

(16 Posts)
JackK Sun 04-Dec-22 17:30:32

For the past 10 years my hair has progressively thinned, to the point where I now despair of it! I used diy hair extensions for a couple of years, 7 years ago - but they eventually made it even worse, and it's taken me a few years of having the broken ends (halfway up my head!) cut off to thicken it out again ... but, it's still very very thin - it takes me less than 2 minutes to dry it.
I'm happy to add volume on the crown with product / gentle teasing, but I'm now considering a wig; have any of you bought a wig? where from? I see them online, but am dubious about their quality ... I don't want to look like Danny La Rue 😆

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 17:40:16

I have a few, none of which is right.

It's the colour match that is a problem, but then I've ordered them online.

I am going to try and persevere though, because my hair doesnt look as if it's coming back anytime soon.

Amazon have decent (cheap) wigs, if you wanted to try a couple out.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 17:44:08

Ooh, I have just had a thought, there are "wigs" now, that are basically hair on a wire.

You put it on like a headband, arrange your own hair to cover up the wire, and Bob's your uncle!

JaneJudge Sun 04-Dec-22 17:49:02

my friend buys them on ebay, they mainly come from hong kong but they absolutely look real

I just googled and this place came up. I know a lot of the reviews are from young people but they look very nce/natural

www.lushwigs.com/

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 17:53:26

Oh they look nice.
Bet I could make them look a whole lot worse.

Debbi58 Sun 04-Dec-22 19:13:47

My daughter had thining hair after having a tumor removed from her thyroid glad. After years of suffering I paid for her to have extentions put it . They are fitted with invisible tapes. You can have whatever length you want

Debbi58 Sun 04-Dec-22 19:15:16

That photo is before

Debbi58 Sun 04-Dec-22 19:15:52

This is after

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 19:18:43

I didn't realise, but I just zoomed in, and I can see the wide parting.

I have those all over my head, plus patches where there the hair has completely white, round circles at the roots.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 19:29:47

That was money well spent, Debbi smile

Debbi58 Sun 04-Dec-22 20:01:13

Her hair was much worse originally, she also took some vitamins and that really helped

JaneJudge Sun 04-Dec-22 20:03:52

what a lovely daughter you have Debbi smile

Debbi58 Sun 04-Dec-22 20:27:07

Thank you JaneJudge I'll upload a photo of her twin

Blossoming Sun 04-Dec-22 21:07:25

Beautiful girls Debbi

JackK Mon 05-Dec-22 08:50:35

Thanks all. I've tried extensions / hair on a wire thing ... I'll keep looking at wig websites!

MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-22 17:13:10

If you watch youtube, there are lots of wig wearers, for various reasons, who review cheap/expensive wigs, and give tips on how to customise them.

I am hoping to change the colour of mine, first.