Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you use a mascara you can recommend?

(30 Posts)
mokryna Fri 25-Nov-22 15:43:56

I found out that my old mascara had dried out when I wanted to put makeup on for the first time in yonks. My eye-lashes are short and thin, can you recommend yours if you still use it?

OxfordGran Fri 25-Nov-22 15:56:02

I miss and mourn Outdoor Girl, with bits in, now use Rimmel, no.7, Lancome, Max Factor is popular amongst peers, thick lashes.

Years ago, my sister cut hers, need a steady hand, so they were thick at the ends, took ages to grow, like a dolls, looked fabulous, now she does not dare, she only has 5 left.
Cruise the make up counters, mokryna, consider online reviews, fine eyeliner as a backdrop.

NotAGran55 Fri 25-Nov-22 16:01:38

This is frequently asked on Mumsnet and Clinique Lash Power is repeatedly recommended . It has a small narrow brush that is easy to use, goes on well, easy to remove and comes in a dark brown which I use.
Currently on Black Friday offer I believe.

MerylStreep Fri 25-Nov-22 16:05:48

Without a doubt, Clinique.

Lucca Fri 25-Nov-22 16:08:19

Boots no7 actually

mokryna Fri 25-Nov-22 16:08:51

Too true NotAGran 20/30% off at the shops but I thought I would ask here first, to be on the safe side.

Pittcity Fri 25-Nov-22 19:04:26

I use Maybelline Eyebrow mascara on my brows and lashes. It's the only one that stays put and doesn't leave me looking like a panda.

sharon103 Fri 25-Nov-22 19:18:27

Dried out mascara? Give the brush a quick dip under tap water. Put the wand back in the tube and give it a good swish around and up and down.
I have used Boots Natural Collection, black/brown lash builder for years. Perfect for sensitive eyes.

Shinamae Fri 25-Nov-22 19:29:40

I have tried most of the mascaras including the really expensive ones and I have been using this now for a couple of years and would not go back to anything else, I find it is excellent value for money and does a really good job

crazyH Fri 25-Nov-22 19:31:14

I don’t use mascara - tried it years ago - but it made my eyes itch. And now that I use glasses, there’s no point really, or probably there is, but I don’t bother 😂

Hetty58 Fri 25-Nov-22 19:40:46

I'm allergic to almost everything - so I'm curious about magnetic lashes - and wonder if they stay put?

f77ms Fri 25-Nov-22 20:07:31

If your mascara has dried out don't try to revive it as it will be off and could m are your eyes sore . I buy any good name mascara in trial size from Ebay , ie lancome ,clinique Estee lauder . Costs about £5 /6 . I also wash the old used wand from the last one and use it to unclump my eyelashes after applying a couple of coats .

Hopikins Fri 25-Nov-22 20:11:58

Max Factor Calorie 2000. It doesn't irritate or smudge. Buy new every couple of months.

Millie22 Fri 25-Nov-22 21:08:53

I use Max Factor Masterpiece.

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-22 21:40:44

One of the cheap brands in Superdrug. Mascara is mascara, is mascara, unless you have an allergy to one of the constituent ingredients of any particular brand.

Rosie51 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:16:01

NotAGran55

This is frequently asked on Mumsnet and Clinique Lash Power is repeatedly recommended . It has a small narrow brush that is easy to use, goes on well, easy to remove and comes in a dark brown which I use.
Currently on Black Friday offer I believe.

That's what I use, in dark chocolate. Thanks for the tip, I've been on the Clinique site and stocked up at the reduced price. I usually stock up in Duty free at the airport when I go to see my son and family, but they were out of stock this year sad

Rosie51 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:18:55

M0nica

One of the cheap brands in Superdrug. Mascara is mascara, is mascara, unless you have an allergy to one of the constituent ingredients of any particular brand.

If you wear black mascara the world is your oyster. You used to be able to easily get brown, grey or dark navy, but it's so difficult these days. Being very pale with reddish hair black is much too harsh for me.

Squiffy Fri 25-Nov-22 23:56:09

I use Essence waterproof mascara from Wilko! So cheap it’s ridiculous! It’s excellent and, unlike more expensive and well-known brands, I’ve had no allergic reaction to it.

Maggiemaybe Sat 26-Nov-22 00:47:39

Hopikins

Max Factor Calorie 2000. It doesn't irritate or smudge. Buy new every couple of months.

Yes, this one. It’s fabulous, doesn’t clog, never runs. I wear contact lenses and my eyes are sensitive, but it doesn’t irritate them. Occasionally I’ve tried others that the DDs have given me or from a beauty Advent calendar, but none of them have been anywhere near as good.

FannyCornforth Sat 26-Nov-22 06:28:24

Hopikins

That has been my mascara of choice since the early 90s!
I recently got an Estée Lauder mascara as part of a bundle from QVC.
I wasn’t expecting much, but you can definitely tell that it’s ‘high end’.
I’ll be trying Clinique in the future thanks to these recommendations

NotAGran55 Sat 26-Nov-22 07:11:16

M0nica

Not quite Monica
They vary considerably. Watery, clumpy, added fibres, waterproof, waxy, curling, tubing… and then there’s the different brushes…..

In my last job I had to swim and being vain I didn’t want to go without mascara so bought a very expensive Chanel ‘waterproof’ mascara which wasn’t! I resembled a panda.
I was cross and as it was expensive and not fit for purpose I decided to return it. I had no need for a black non-waterproof mascara.
I explained the above to the sales assistant in John Lewis who looked at me, and it all seriousness said ‘ I’m sorry madam, I can’t take it back because you have used it’
I then explained that I had to use it to know that it wasn’t waterproof…..

Ps Eyeko Sport bought with the refund was waterproof and did a great job.

dragonfly46 Sat 26-Nov-22 07:13:31

I use Rumi designed for mature women and doesn’t clog.

BigBertha1 Sat 26-Nov-22 07:15:48

I'm a big fan of mascara and have tried dozens. Lancome is for me the best brand and they have a range of formulations and styles. Definition is the best for ease of use, stays well, no clumping, removed well and leaves lashe s in good condition.

Casdon Sat 26-Nov-22 07:30:49

I’m always rubbing my eyes, and the only mascara that stays put regardless and doesn’t shed bits or irritate my eyes is Estée Lauder Double Wear Zero-Smudge Lengthening Mascara in waterproof - I’ve tried loads.

Georgesgran Sat 26-Nov-22 09:18:40

My lashes are short and sparse, so I started to us an eyelash conditioner (uk lash is one brand) - not cheap and I don’t know exactly how it works, but it does. Then I use any mascara with a primer - a white ‘mascara’ to thicken the lashes, then regular mascara over. A bit faffy, but I have it down to a fine art.